Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Five Million Dollar Question.

Old 07-31-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The Five Million Dollar Question.

Old 07-31-12, 05:04 PM

I just re-read OP. Oops.

Surely, there's something more specific in the real life situation? Some sort of metric that can be measured?
Old 07-31-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lemdog View Post
Something dealing with education would be nice, but I don't know how far 5 million would go to start a school, where tuition would be free.
We'll have a lot of bake sales.
Old 07-31-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Something dealing with education would be nice, but I don't know how far 5 million would go to start a school, where tuition would be free.
Running a PRIVATE school isn't as expensive as trying to run a public school because you can pick and choose students and have more control over things (no unions, etc). My buddy started and now runs an alternative education charter school, I could ask him what kind of budget he uses if this is something you are seriously considering. There will be less Red Tape than a public school, but if you are doing any kind of OFFICIAL education, it is far more complicated. Doing an after-school or affiliated program that helps in other ways (but isn't responsible for the kids to hit certain marks) would probably be easier to do.

As for ideas....I have (obviously) spent a bit of time thinking about this before, but I don't mind sharing some of my ideas.

I'd setup an education-based non-profit first, whatever has the best tax protection...probably a 501c3, but that's just a guess. I'd then consider:

1. The Lem Foundation....model it after the Gates Foundation where they take specific issues and try and match up the funding for specific goals. $5k here, $10k there. You can take specific issues within your community and if need-be have an over-arching plan to help improve your community through innovation and in-sourcing. The downside is weeding through good/bad proposals and not burning a ton of cash on overhead/staff to handle multiple administration of funds. Getting some biz ppl to volunteer time to review apps would lessen the load. This would be my choice because you can fund multiple ideas and provide an opportunity for the community to help itself...the downside is that a bunch will probably fail and it is more work making sure the $ on 1 project is account for instead of 30. It is much more sustainable if you don't blow $ on large projects.

2. The Lem Bank. You setup the non-profit to handle micro-lending. The idea is to provide an influx of capital into your community that (hopefully) leverages local talent and kickstarts more small business. This has been pretty successful in Africa...though maybe you live somewhere that this is less good. I love that it encourages local spending and rewards good ideas. e.g. there is a need for a local courier service and a couple of community college kids who want to do it, but they don't have the capital to fix up a car to start it. They'd need a plan and mentor, but it's doable and it won't cost $50k to start up and fail. The default rate for micro-lending is actually far less, so the money can be re-invested elsewhere once they get up and running. $500 here, $250 there. Nothing will break the bank, but it helps fill the gap for a lot of ideas.

3. Lem's Don't Do Stupid Crap After School So You Get Locked Up and Made Someone's Girlfriend In Prison organization. It is the basic after-school program but you can afford to put in the right infrastructure and hire enough people to get it going. You obviously need a good core staff or this is a sinkhole, but it'd be cool.

4. The Harlem (but not) Children's Zone Project. It is based on HCZ, who have done some really innovative stuff to help kids in the local neighborhoods of Harlem. This would burn through the money quickly, so you'd need to scale it.

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 07-31-12 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-31-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Put a giant hookerdome over my town.
Old 07-31-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post

2. The Lem Bank. You setup the non-profit to handle micro-lending. The idea is to provide an influx of capital into your community that (hopefully) leverages local talent and kickstarts more small business. This has been pretty successful in Africa...though maybe you live somewhere that this is less good. I love that it encourages local spending and rewards good ideas. e.g. there is a need for a local courier service and a couple of community college kids who want to do it, but they don't have the capital to fix up a car to start it. They'd need a plan and mentor, but it's doable and it won't cost $50k to start up and fail. The default rate for micro-lending is actually far less, so the money can be re-invested elsewhere once they get up and running. $500 here, $250 there. Nothing will break the bank, but it helps fill the gap for a lot of ideas.
I've heard about this before ....I like it, and will have to look into it further.
Old 07-31-12, 07:52 PM

I would go with the playground idea but have it geared toward fitness for adults and teens. A place with rock climbing walls, zip lines and all sorts of courts for volleyball, basketball and tennis. Bike and walking trails, a skating area and other outdoor fitness equipment.
Old 07-31-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Start a business that employs a lot of people.
Old 07-31-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

my question is, if this person is dead, why the fuck would you care to follow their will and last wishes? i'd figure out a way to juke the system to get the money (in case there is an executor of the will overseeing this), then retire to some tropical island.
Old 07-31-12, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Lets say a family member of yours died and left you 5 million dollars in his/her will. The catch is you have to spend the money to do something "cool" and "innovative" to help the community that you live in. What "cool and innovative" means I do not know. I guess something that hasn't been done before. What would you do with the money? Any ideas?

Yes, I may have come into 5 million dollars with this interesting stipulation. It's kinda like Brewster's Millions, but I have to use the money for good. Maybe that's where he/she got the idea from.
I would section off my community with a 20ft high gate and charge admission.
Old 07-31-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by seester View Post
I would go with the playground idea but have it geared toward fitness for adults and teens. A place with rock climbing walls, zip lines and all sorts of courts for volleyball, basketball and tennis. Bike and walking trails, a skating area and other outdoor fitness equipment.
The university already has all that stuff in the town.
Old 07-31-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by seester View Post
LI-A-BIL-I-TY....not worth the risk. Never underestimate how low ppl will sink to get paid. I think it'd be cool to have an outlet like that for the average person who probably doesn't exercise enough, but someone will find a way to ruin it for everyone else.
Old 08-01-12, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Patent and design of a new device that will allow technical support people to send an electrical charge through the users mouse when they are calling technical support and ask questions like "Where is the power button?" and "You actually have to plug it in?" and "This cup holder has a logo on it that says "blu-ray" can it still be used to hold cans of pepsi, or only blu-ray brand drinks?"
Old 08-01-12, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd put five million dollars worth of dinosaur skeletons in my yard.
Old 08-01-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I love how you guys are arguing about the "intent" of a dead fictional person in a hypothetical situation.
It's like a conversation with Karl Pilkington.
Old 08-01-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would build a mountain bike park.
Old 08-01-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
Take a repressed park (or area of town) known for prostitution/drugs and other crimes and drop a well lit 24 hour skate park there as well as a community garden in near proximity where neighborhood community organizations can meet on the weekends and organize classes.
Awesome idea to put a kids skate park in the middle of a drug/crime section.