Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a Kia? extra points if it is a Sorento.

Other Talk "Otterville"

Anyone have a Kia? extra points if it is a Sorento.

Old 07-31-12, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone have a Kia? extra points if it is a Sorento.

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
So being on par with Mazda is good?
Second tier is not bad, in fact they're pretty good these days. When you factor in what you pay, the long warranty, Hyundai's are outstanding values.
Mazda is alright, don't get me wrong, but that's not a high standard to achieve.
It'll be a few more years before Hyundai reaches Honda & Toyota standards. Considering where Hyundai was 5+ years ago, that's pretty good.
You'd still buy a Kia when you say pre-2010 is "pretty bad"? It's 2012.
That's why I said it's too early to tell for the 2010+ models. Hyundai started sharing more of their expertise & technology with Kia beginning with the 2010 models.

OP didn't say if he was looking for used so pre-2010's are definitely Don't Buy.
Old 07-31-12, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
It'll be a few more years before Hyundai reaches Honda & Toyota standards.
Hyundai matched Honda 10 years ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...cr-picks_x.htm

South Korean brand Hyundai much maligned in the past for quality problems ranks No. 2, along with perennial leader Honda, in the newest Consumer Reports magazine reliability ratings.
Old 07-31-12, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
Hyundai matched Honda 10 years ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...cr-picks_x.htm
I have the 2011 Consumer Reports issue and Honda still appears to be better so maybe Honda stepped it up as well.
Old 07-31-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,223 Posts

I have a 2012 Sorento that I got last August and I love it. Almost 1 year now and zero mechanical problems.

It also came with Sirius XM Radio and it helps tremendously sitting in traffic to and from work.
Old 07-31-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I have a 2012 Sorento that I got last August and I love it. Almost 1 year now and zero mechanical problems.

It also came with Sirius XM Radio and it helps tremendously sitting in traffic to and from work.
I don't own one but rented one and put 1,900 miles on it in just over a week.
I was very impressed with it and would own one in a heart beat. The one I rented only had the 4 cyl engine but had plenty of power for 3 adults and luggage.
Old 08-02-12, 10:54 AM

Holy carp...had no idea there was a $60,000 Hyundai!
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2013/equus/?

it does look nice...but I'm guessing most people wouldn't spend that kind of money on a Hyundai. And I agree with above posters--Kia and Hyundai have made GREAT improvements in look and quality of their recent offerings. I love the styling of the new Kia Optima, as well as the coupe and sedan versions of the Hyundai Genesis.
Old 08-02-12, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

That Equus is frickin' huge - I saw it in the showroom when I bought my Sonata Turbo. But you're right, if you already have $60K to spend on a car that probably won't be the one.
Old 08-02-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Anything trumps a glorified VW in reliability.

VWs were the worst cars I ever owned. They always started though.

We currently have a Toyota and an Acura and the word "reliable" is never even a consideration. Never had one single issue with either of them.
While this may be true, there have been plenty of Acuras and Hondas that have had issues. The RSX and it's notorious transmission issues comes to mind though in fairness some of that may have been caused by owners driving them like idiots of by modding them. The moral of the story is one person's experience with any car brand needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

FWIW, I've got a Subaru now (04 Impreza I bought new in July 2003) and it's been very reliable but Subaru's designs are boring and bland to me so whenever it is I get a new car, I'm definitely going to give a close look to the Hyundais and Kias.
Old 08-02-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
That Equus is frickin' huge - I saw it in the showroom when I bought my Sonata Turbo. But you're right, if you already have $60K to spend on a car that probably won't be the one.
thing is though it's equipped like a Mercedes S class at about 30k less. I agree though someone shelling out 60k on a car probably won't go for a non luxury brand one of the many reasons the VW Phaeton was killed.
Old 08-02-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Love my 2012 Optima SX Turbo. Don't love the gas mileage even though I rarely use the turbo. 25mpg is horrible IMO.

Can't count the number of people that have come up to me and commented on the car.

Only had it for 5 or so months and put close to 10k miles on it and the biggest negative I've found so far is they appeared to have used a lesser quality paint as it picks up scratches extremely easily.

Traded in a TSX for it and I'd probably do the trade again.

edit: while the base models are very inexpensive, when you start getting into the higher packages the prices do get above what you would expect from a Kia/Hyundai.