DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Attack of the Evil Electric Bill! It's Huge, Run For Your Lives! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/603214-attack-evil-electric-bill-its-huge-run-your-lives.html)

nickdawgy 07-14-12 04:17 AM

Attack of the Evil Electric Bill! It's Huge, Run For Your Lives!

Okay, so you guys may have remembered me talking about moving to another place a few months ago. Well we finally did it in May, and we received our first bill in mid June:

$130.

Now, granted, that's not a whole lot, especially since this place is nearly twice as big as our old one, and we figured we'd use the A/C more often. That, and there was the good old connection fee of $15 they charge you.

So I told my wife, minus that fee, and the fact that in the beginning, we had the AC at 72 for a while while we were moving boxes in, getting used to the place, etc, that the next months bill would probably be under $100.

Boy was I wrong.

I checked online today and it's $185!

At the old place, our highest bill was $140 in the summer. We always had super small bills of like $35 in the winter months.

Now my question is, should I have them re-read the meter? Did I really use that much energy? We have our AC set at 78 all day. It'll go on for 10 minutes then shut off and go back on 15 minutes or so later. So yeah, it is on a lot. Is it really just the AC?

I put it on 80, I'm not sure if that will help, but I always see these energy saving tips that say keep the thermostat set to 78, so I am not sure what happened.

As for other energy use, we do laundry of course. Maybe 3-4 loads twice a week. We have an extra fridge in the garage. We have two PC's that are on often and two laptops that are always in sleep mode if they aren't on. The TV, cable box, PS3, I think they all run in standby mode.

We turn lights on at night, and off when we sleep except for the stove light. We turn off the porch light.

We have four ceiling fans that are on 24/7.

Honestly, at times it gets pretty cool in the place at 78, so maybe 80 won't be so bad. But it's 110 outside now, so I'm sure the AC is working overtime.

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather pay $185 than sweat all month, it's just I've never seen a bill so high.

Thoughts?

grundle 07-14-12 04:51 AM

Re: Attack of the Evil Electric Bill! It's Huge, Run For Your Lives!

You keep your thermostat set at 80? That's ridiculous. I remember when I was a child, President Carter said you should keep it set at 68 and put on a sweater. Maybe you should try doing that.

Trout 07-14-12 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by grundle (Post 11307369)
You keep your thermostat set at 80? That's ridiculous. I remember when I was a child, President Carter said you should keep it set at 68 and put on a sweater. Maybe you should try doing that.

Keeping it at 68 would run the a/c more often than at 80. It is California after all.

Do you guys have a balanced billing option?

Charlie Goose 07-14-12 05:18 AM

Well, your marijuana grow lights use a lot of juice.

OldDude 07-14-12 06:19 AM

Those numbers don't sound out of line for a bigger place. You are also have a hotter summer than normal, aren't you.

As for re-reading the meter, aren't the readings they claim on your bill? They are here. Read it yourself. As long as your current reading is higher than what is on the bill, it will all balance out on the next bill.

glassdragon 07-14-12 06:44 AM

Lucky bastard. I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment and I keep it at about 75. My bill was 210 last month

Deftones 07-14-12 07:00 AM

:lol: at a huge $185 bill. my bill here in phoenix for july and august is nearly $400 w/ the thermostats set no lower than 80.

Duran 07-14-12 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by OldDude (Post 11307385)
Those numbers don't sound out of line for a bigger place. You are also have a hotter summer than normal, aren't you.

As for re-reading the meter, aren't the readings they claim on your bill? They are here. Read it yourself. As long as your current reading is higher than what is on the bill, it will all balance out on the next bill.

+1. Look at the bill. Compare the number with the meter. This is not difficult. Is your water heater, dryer, and/or stove electric or gas?

DirkUSA 07-14-12 09:24 AM

:( First world problems! :(

Turn the A/C off and unplug all electrical devices from the outlets when not in use. ;)

cungar 07-14-12 09:26 AM

I thought this was going to be a thread about a $800 or $1200 electric bill. It's just a thread about everyday life in America.

MoviePage 07-14-12 09:31 AM

Agreed, the promised huge electric bill is disappointingly average.

Deftones 07-14-12 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 11307470)
I thought this was going to be a thread about a $800 or $1200 electric bill. It's just a thread about everyday life in America.

bingo, but that's not terrible unexpected considering the car thread. :lol:

Troy Stiffler 07-14-12 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by DirkUSA (Post 11307469)
Turn the A/C off and unplug all electrical devices from the outlets when not in use. ;)

Why not just flip the breakers? The further back you cut off the power, the more you save. I hear you can also drink your own urine (instead of paying for water).

kd5 07-14-12 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by grundle (Post 11307369)

Maybe 68 in the winter if you don't mind wearing insulated socks and a lined flannel shirt, but keeping the AC set to 78 in the summer sounds reasonable to me.

What sounds unusual to me is running the AC AND all your ceiling fans simultaneously. Is this central air? You shouldn't need to run ceiling fans too. That's probably gobbling up the electricity.

$185 seems high to me for a monthly electric bill, but with everything you're running I'd say you're lucky it isn't more.

AC + 4 ceiling fans + refrigerator in the garage + 6-8 loads of laundry a week? Wow. -kd5-

DirkUSA 07-14-12 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by troystiffler (Post 11307497)
Why not just flip the breakers? The further back you cut off the power, the more you save. I hear you can also drink your own urine (instead of paying for water).

Come on now, everybody knows that you have to filter it first!

broadwayblue 07-14-12 10:34 AM

OMG $180! lol Isn't that what the average american pays during the summer months?

kd5 07-14-12 10:36 AM

Try cutting back on the ceiling fans, try to cut down on the number of laundry loads per week, and instead of everything in standy mode, shut them off at night or when you're not using them. -kd5-

Troy Stiffler 07-14-12 11:08 AM

I keep it at 76 during the day. And 70-72 at night. I sleep like a baby when it's cold. Anyone else like that?

GMan2819 07-14-12 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 11307533)
Try cutting back on the ceiling fans, try to cut down on the number of laundry loads per week, and instead of everything in standy mode, shut them off at night or when you're not using them. -kd5-

Ceiling fans only use around 50-75 watts which is a lot lower than A/Cs and allow you to set your A/C higher so he should continue using them but turn them off in unoccupied rooms. A good dehumidifier will also allow you to set your A/C higher.

Are your 3-4 loads of laundry twice a week full or half loads? Half loads use the same amount of energy so only do full loads if possible. Same with the dishwasher.

One thing you can do to reduce the A/C cycling on/off so much is to run the fan mode on 24/7. It keeps the air circulating and keeps the temperature more even.

Using compact fluorescent lights will cut your bill dramatically if you're not already using them.

cungar 07-14-12 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by troystiffler (Post 11307558)
I keep it at 76 during the day. And 70-72 at night. I sleep like a baby when it's cold. Anyone else like that?

Yeah this "keep it at 78" talk is nonsense. I didn't get an air conditioner to keep it at 78.

broadwayblue 07-14-12 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 11307568)
Yeah this "keep it at 78" talk is nonsense. I didn't get an air conditioner to keep it at 78.

Well we keep it there because the alternative is the room temps will easily reach 90-95...and that's beyond our comfort zone. Anything above around 80 makes it hard for me to sleep. And keeping the AC on all day set at 72 would add a couple hundred or so to our monthly bill. But in our case, living in an apartment without central ac (window units) is not ideal to begin with.

whotony 07-14-12 11:59 AM

Southeastern Pa near Philly.

We keep the 'stat at 77 turnit down a little in extra hot days.

I wish owas bill was $180 in the summer.

dsa_shea 07-14-12 12:08 PM

Sign up for the average payment plan. We pay between 90-100 a month every month instead of being hit hard with huge bills in the summer and then still paying 60-80 a month in the winter. At least you know more or less what to expect each month when it comes time to pay the bills.

Osiris3657 07-14-12 12:18 PM

this "new place" must be a 900 square foot apartment. if you can ever get yourself out of the financial clusterfuck you're in, wait until you see the electric bill for a house.

TomOpus 07-14-12 12:34 PM

The new place is twice as big so $45 more than your previous high shouldn't be unexpected.

There could be other factors too. Insulation, direct sunlight, location of themostat, windows. As others mentioned, maybe run your ceiling fans less. Wouldn't that push the warmer upper air down more?