Reload this Page >

Any frequent flyers here? need advice on missing a flight

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-11-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds crazy I know, but I booked a flight that has a layover and I want to skip the last leg home, is that going to be a problem?

The airline wants to charge me a crazy amount of money to change the tickets that would then open up seats on a plane for them to sell again (I don't expect any refund).

My flight leaves point A and goes to point B, then I have a layover, then I go from point B to point C.

The return flight is the same layover situation, I want to go from point C back to point B, but never fly back to point A.

Make sense?

What happens if I just disappear at point B on the return flight and never arrive in point A? Does it matter if a child flying with me also disappears?

Luggage is a non-issue, I was already warned if I missed the layover flight from point B to point A, my luggage would make the entire trip back without me to point A (so I won't check any luggage and will carry on only).

The airline does not want to provide an answer to my question, so I am assuming nothing happens, but they really want their fee to make the change. The best I could get out of them is if I miss the last leg of the return flight, they then cancel my ticket (I assume that is a threat to lose miles? if it is, I don't care).

Any issues with TSA if I go missing? I assume not as this has to happen all the time (people missing a connecting flight, then deciding to drive or something else instead of fly).

I am worried that this borders on "hidden city" ticketing policy...

I found this article, looks like I may just do it and not say anything to the airline

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-...tml?id=8053348

Last edited by 4KRG; 07-11-12 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-11-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Any frequent flyers here? need advice on missing a flight

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
Sounds crazy I know, but I booked a flight that has a layover and I want to skip the last leg home, is that going to be a problem?

The airline wants to charge me a crazy amount of money to change the tickets that would then open up seats on a plane for them to sell again (I don't expect any refund).

My flight leaves point A and goes to point B, then I have a layover, then I go from point B to point C.

The return flight is the same layover situation, I want to go from point C back to point B, but never fly back to point A.

Make sense?

What happens if I just disappear at point B on the return flight and never arrive in point A? Does it matter if a child flying with me also disappears?

Luggage is a non-issue, I was already warned if I missed the layover flight from point B to point A, my luggage would make the entire trip back without me to point A (so I won't check any luggage and will carry on only).

The airline does not want to provide an answer to my question, so I am assuming nothing happens, but they really want their fee to make the change. The best I could get out of them is if I miss the last leg of the return flight, they then cancel my ticket (I assume that is a threat to lose miles? if it is, I don't care).

Any issues with TSA if I go missing? I assume not as this has to happen all the time (people missing a connecting flight, then deciding to drive or something else instead of fly).

I am worried that this borders on "hidden city" ticketing policy...

I found this article, looks like I may just do it and not say anything to the airline

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-...tml?id=8053348
Anything after your "missed" flight will be canceled, so if it's a round trip ticket it won't work. Otherwise, who's to say you didn't stop for a drink at the bar and get sidetracked?
Old 07-11-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No issue. Happens all the time. They won't send out a search party and you should keep your miles. But I agree - don't check bags.
Old 07-11-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, I don't think it will be an issue at all...I don't even know why you brought it up with the airline...you paid for the seats from B back to A, just let them stay empty. The airline is trying to make more than usual off those now-available seats.
Old 07-11-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree with the others. Just don't get on the second flight. You'll be ok. Homeland Security won't be knocking down your door.

Out of curiosity, why are you planning on staying in the layover city?
Old 07-11-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

^^ Mistress
Old 07-11-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
^^ Mistress
I wish

The only other logical reason, hookers and blow are cheaper there.

Spoiler:

nothing fun, just family there wants us to stay and visit. No way to book the return flight to just end there since I bought a package deal.
Old 07-11-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Yeah, I don't think it will be an issue at all...I don't even know why you brought it up with the airline...you paid for the seats from B back to A, just let them stay empty. The airline is trying to make more than usual off those now-available seats.
I brought it up because I was told several different things by people I worked with. Most of which did not end up being true (shockingly enough, you all are doing a better job with real information)

The airline was the one that brought up the luggage issue, so now I know what will happen if we check a bag.

I did not give the airline my name or ticket number, so they have no idea.
Old 07-11-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Flights have no-shows all the time, and just open the seats with passengers flying standby just before closing boarding.
Old 07-11-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Or the person in the row you were in thank you for giving him/her a full row to lay down.
Old 07-11-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, shouldn't be a problem is it is the last leg of your flight. I had a family member who booked an earlier flight home from a trip and we didn't check her in when we took her original flight home the next day. I thought "Cool! I have an extra seat to spread out in" but the airline just gave her empty seat to someone on standby, even though it was originally bought by our family.

I had another family member take an alternate mode of transportation on another trip after purchasing round trip tickets. They thought they could just take the return flight home, but found out that because he didn't do the first leg, they cancelled the ticket back. We never saw him again.
Old 07-12-12, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hear they bring one of those naked body scanners to your house if you skip a flight, along with some TSA agents with very strong hands. Have fun!
Old 07-12-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Doesn't sound like you will do it on a regular basis, but there appears to be airlines that do track that and will take issue with it if it continues frequently. By take issue, they will send you a bill for the fare differences and if you refuse to pay, they will prohibit you from flying with them until you do.
Old 07-12-12, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 145 Likes on 110 Posts

I am just spitballing here because I am not sure how this would work but what if you get to your flight late and there's no room for your carry-on so it gets checked?
Old 07-12-12, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to Guantanamo.
Old 07-12-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So it sounds like the worst that can happen is they ask me to pay more money via a bill they send later (but I don't think that is possible, I am not doing a "hidden city" deal, there is no 'money saved' involved in what I am doing)

The next worse is my luggage goes the whole way through back to point A. I need to make sure I am early for the flight and get plenty of room for my check on bags (I can do that, my current schedule to get to the airport for this leg is 2.5 hours before flight time)

I don't care if they ban me from their airline, I rarely fly more than once a year and 1 airline is easy to avoid. Since I am 'first offender' for anything like this, I doubt the airline will care.

I don't care if they cancel my miles (I don't have any and I don't care about them, again flying once per year at most means I don't care about miles)

I don't care if they cancel the ticket, this is the last leg of the flight and I am done when I get to the layover city at point B. This is the return trip, no other flights to worry about.

Now I see why the airline was stressing the checked bags will go to point A no matter what. They were trying to tell me that if I missed the flight on purpose, they would punish me by sending my luggage forward OHHHHH NOOOOOOESS!!!!!

but there is a piece of info I didn't share that may change the luggage situation. I am not sure how exactly customs works in this situation, but my RETURN flight from point C back to point B is international. My thoughts are I would have to clear customs at point B, but maybe the airline just sends everything back to point A and I clear customs there? No idea, but it really doesn't matter that much. I just figure if I can confirm a customs clearing at point B, then I WOULD have any checked luggage back in my hands and that would make this work out perfectly. Packing in a carry on will be tight.

Any international flights I have done in the past have all been direct flights with no layovers. I know that when I landed back in the USA, I had to get my luggage and walk it through customs. How does that happen on a layover flight? Do you hit customs at your first stop in the US or the last? It would make sense that it be the first. (that layover time is roughly 4 hours, so it could work out)
Old 07-12-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
but there is a piece of info I didn't share that may change the luggage situation. I am not sure how exactly customs works in this situation, but my RETURN flight from point C back to point B is international. My thoughts are I would have to clear customs at point B, but maybe the airline just sends everything back to point A and I clear customs there? No idea, but it really doesn't matter that much. I just figure if I can confirm a customs clearing at point B, then I WOULD have any checked luggage back in my hands and that would make this work out perfectly. Packing in a carry on will be tight.

Any international flights I have done in the past have all been direct flights with no layovers. I know that when I landed back in the USA, I had to get my luggage and walk it through customs. How does that happen on a layover flight? Do you hit customs at your first stop in the US or the last? It would make sense that it be the first. (that layover time is roughly 4 hours, so it could work out)
This is needlessly unclear. The answer to your question depends on what countries C, B and A are in.

If B and A are in the United States, you would have to claim and recheck any checked bags at B, unless C has US Customs and Immigration pre-check (most (all?) cities in Canada, Ireland, some Caribbean destinations), in which case it should be checked through.
Old 07-12-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by leepyswetr View Post
This is needlessly unclear.
maybe

The answer to the question is that when you fly back into the united states, you clear customs at your FIRST destination (for me that is point B, and I understand some countries have exception to that, but not applicable to me) so I will be reunited with my luggage at the point where I want to skip out on the connecting flight. It will be possible for me to check luggage and get it when I want it
Old 08-12-12, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I figured I would update this in case anyone else needs to know

no one cared that my two young children missed the connecting flight They did not even attempt to fill the seats with standby passengers.

The 'checked' luggage however, made it to the final destination and we were not able to keep it at the connecting point. It appears this is only a glitch at 2 airports, Atlanta and Memphis, any other airport and we would have been able to keep the 'checked' luggage at the connection point. These two airports require you pass through an extra luggage screening when coming from an international flight and connecting to a domestic flight (it makes no sense to have an extra TSA screening between the terminals, but they do)

The carry on luggage went with the kids no problem.

now I know
Old 08-12-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess I'm not following, why couldn't the kids just walk out after customs with the checked luggage? It's not like they are forcing you to re-check your bag after that, at least not that I recall from coming back through ATL on an international flight.
Old 08-13-12, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

I still want to know what happened to the dope in those condoms he swallowed.
Old 08-13-12, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I know you mentioned not having checked luggage, but I'm curious as to whether it would cause a problem. I recall a few years ago there was a big deal made about matching passengers with checked bags so that bad guys couldn't check a bomb in baggage and then not board the plane themselves.
Old 08-13-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

People miss flights all the time. One the gate shuts, the airline doesn't give a fuck about you.
Old 08-13-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do a bit of flying.. say 700k miles on Delta, 400k on AWA before that and the random stuff...

- You can skip an itin at any point, they wont care. The rest of your flights will be cancelled, so if you skip on the outbound trip, all your return flights are forfeited. I have after a lot of talking w customer service managed to get a partial return reinstated, but it was not easy and had to pull 'platinum' rank.

- They wont blacklist you, send you fines or anything. The only time they in my experience do that is if you travel regularly on a route and try to pull 'reverse fare'.. ie fly outbound to a place and then book return trips from that place.

- If you check bags, they COULD delay the flight, offload the bags because of security concerns.. As a rule, they want the passengers on the same plane as their bags are.. i had this happen where everyone had to get out of the plane and point and their bags.

- International makes little diff - as pointed out, you can walk out w your bags after customs as they are declared on your first stop in almost all countries (and you walk through with them there).

- 4KRG is right that Atlanta and Memphis are a bit wonky - you recheck your bags because you have to take a train through the airport from Terminal E and you could have gotten something 'dangerous' from your checked luggage. ATL has a new international terminal that should fix this, not sure if it opened yet.

People to weird crap on flights all the time, they dont really care most of the time, they have plenty to do serving you peanuts and all that

Have a safe trip!
Old 08-13-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
It's not like they are forcing you to re-check your bag after that
Yes, they did, that is the problem. The only way to exit the airport OR to get on the connecting flight was to pass through a security checkpoint that limited liquids to 3oz (or whatever that insane little bottle size is)

Since the checked luggage had all the toiletries, we could not pass the checkpoint without throwing them away (and we didn't want to, my wife couldn't remember exactly what she put in the bags at that point)

So technically we could have walked out with the checked bags at that point, but knew we would need to throw a bunch of stuff away, so we didn't.

Make more sense?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.