Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

Old 07-03-12, 02:45 PM
  #1  
2017 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,580
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

--without changing it?

Talking with a friend at work, they admitted they had a stupid opinion but didn't want to change their position. Is that possible? Isn't admitting you're wrong changing your opinion? Or is it a cop out, hiding the fact they really DON'T disagree with their stated opinion?
Old 07-03-12, 02:55 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Puyallup
Posts: 16,429
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
--without changing it?

Talking with a friend at work, they admitted they had a stupid opinion but didn't want to change their position. Is that possible? Isn't admitting you're wrong changing your opinion? Or is it a cop out, hiding the fact they really DON'T disagree with their stated opinion?
It is a cop out.
Old 07-03-12, 03:07 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

Sure it is. For instance, say that it is my opinion that I'm not particularly attractive, despite being told otherwise (a common thing, I suspect). I don't like that opinion, nor its implications, but that doesn't change it.
Old 07-03-12, 03:13 PM
  #4  
2017 TOTY Winner
Thread Starter
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,580
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

But, Numanoid you're considering that like facing a 'fact' rather than holding a subjective opinion, believing it's an opinion (even though it probably is just subjective )

What about knowing something is just an opinion and not liking it, or agreeing it's wrong? Politics, movies, food....

'I think a thing in particular is good but that's a stupid thing to think and I know I'm wrong.... but thats my opinion anyway....'
Old 07-03-12, 03:29 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 15,927
Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's ... Spottedfeather!
Old 07-03-12, 03:42 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,249
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
But, Numanoid you're considering that like facing a 'fact' rather than holding a subjective opinion, believing it's an opinion (even though it probably is just subjective )
I have no idea what you just said.

What about knowing something is just an opinion and not liking it, or agreeing it's wrong? Politics, movies, food....
I think there's an important distinction between not liking your own opinion and believing your own opinion is wrong. There are many reasons you might not particularly like your own opinion. For example, I think chocolate chip cookies are one of the greatest foods ever devised, but I don't particularly like that opinion because I'd be a lot healthier if I didn't hold it.

On the other hand, if you genuinely believe your own opinion is wrong, then you no longer hold that opinion, in my view.
Old 07-03-12, 04:01 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,136
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

No. But you certainly know when everyone else doesn't like it.
Old 07-03-12, 05:16 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

Would it count if say... you support a particular political policy because it benefits a large amount of people which is what you feel is right, but dislike it because you know it will cost you more? I guess using healthcare as an example.

Or maybe... I have the opinion that people should donate money, but I don't like it because I hate obligating myself to donate? Not sure if that made sense.
Old 07-03-12, 05:25 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
gryffinmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ancient City
Posts: 6,546
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

Sorta.

I don't like the fact that I don't like tomatoes, since people put them in salads and other dishes, but it doesn't change my opinion of them.
Old 07-03-12, 05:57 PM
  #10  
Uber Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Overlooking Pearl Harbor
Posts: 16,232
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
But, Numanoid you're considering that like facing a 'fact' rather than holding a subjective opinion, believing it's an opinion (even though it probably is just subjective )

What about knowing something is just an opinion and not liking it, or agreeing it's wrong? Politics, movies, food....

'I think a thing in particular is good but that's a stupid thing to think and I know I'm wrong.... but thats my opinion anyway....'
Did you not have brothers and/or sisters growing up? Kids do this all the time. Some people never grow up.

On the other hand, it can really depend on what you're talking about.

For example, a female coworker may not like someone, hear they did something bad and say that's why they don't like them, then find out that they were misinformed, but still not change their opinion of their coworker. What it boils down to is that the stated fact that turned out to be false wasn't the only reason they held the opinion they did.
Old 07-03-12, 06:13 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 36,459
Received 808 Likes on 593 Posts
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

I can say that I absolutely loathe the idea that, during World War II, we dropped two atomic bombs on civilian targets in Japan.

But, looking back at it, I can't say it was a wrong decision.
Old 07-03-12, 06:44 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 4,352
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Would it count if say... you support a particular political policy because it benefits a large amount of people which is what you feel is right, but dislike it because you know it will cost you more? I guess using healthcare as an example.
I think this is a good example. I also like and commend the honesty here.
Old 07-03-12, 09:43 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Living Dead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Graveyard
Posts: 3,205
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

This thread makes my head hurt.
Old 07-03-12, 10:37 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,733
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
--without changing it?

Talking with a friend at work, they admitted they had a stupid opinion but didn't want to change their position. Is that possible? Isn't admitting you're wrong changing your opinion? Or is it a cop out, hiding the fact they really DON'T disagree with their stated opinion?
Politicians do it as a SOP. Even when they are clearly wrong, they can still squirm and slither out of an argument...because...they were just "feeling" like it was wrong/right and had to take the "logical" course.
Old 07-04-12, 12:58 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 24,664
Received 449 Likes on 329 Posts
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

I think this thread sucks ... or do I?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.