Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-03-12, 02:45 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

--without changing it?

Talking with a friend at work, they admitted they had a stupid opinion but didn't want to change their position. Is that possible? Isn't admitting you're wrong changing your opinion? Or is it a cop out, hiding the fact they really DON'T disagree with their stated opinion?
Old 07-03-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Is it possible to not like your own Opinion?

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
--without changing it?

Talking with a friend at work, they admitted they had a stupid opinion but didn't want to change their position. Is that possible? Isn't admitting you're wrong changing your opinion? Or is it a cop out, hiding the fact they really DON'T disagree with their stated opinion?
It is a cop out.
Old 07-03-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure it is. For instance, say that it is my opinion that I'm not particularly attractive, despite being told otherwise (a common thing, I suspect). I don't like that opinion, nor its implications, but that doesn't change it.
Old 07-03-12, 03:13 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

But, Numanoid you're considering that like facing a 'fact' rather than holding a subjective opinion, believing it's an opinion (even though it probably is just subjective )

What about knowing something is just an opinion and not liking it, or agreeing it's wrong? Politics, movies, food....

'I think a thing in particular is good but that's a stupid thing to think and I know I'm wrong.... but thats my opinion anyway....'
Old 07-03-12, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's ... Spottedfeather!
Old 07-03-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

But, Numanoid you're considering that like facing a 'fact' rather than holding a subjective opinion, believing it's an opinion (even though it probably is just subjective )
I have no idea what you just said.

What about knowing something is just an opinion and not liking it, or agreeing it's wrong? Politics, movies, food....
I think there's an important distinction between not liking your own opinion and believing your own opinion is wrong. There are many reasons you might not particularly like your own opinion. For example, I think chocolate chip cookies are one of the greatest foods ever devised, but I don't particularly like that opinion because I'd be a lot healthier if I didn't hold it.

On the other hand, if you genuinely believe your own opinion is wrong, then you no longer hold that opinion, in my view.
Old 07-03-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. But you certainly know when everyone else doesn't like it.
Old 07-03-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Would it count if say... you support a particular political policy because it benefits a large amount of people which is what you feel is right, but dislike it because you know it will cost you more? I guess using healthcare as an example.

Or maybe... I have the opinion that people should donate money, but I don't like it because I hate obligating myself to donate? Not sure if that made sense.
Old 07-03-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorta.

I don't like the fact that I don't like tomatoes, since people put them in salads and other dishes, but it doesn't change my opinion of them.
Old 07-03-12, 05:57 PM
Uber Member

'I think a thing in particular is good but that's a stupid thing to think and I know I'm wrong.... but thats my opinion anyway....'
Did you not have brothers and/or sisters growing up? Kids do this all the time. Some people never grow up.

On the other hand, it can really depend on what you're talking about.

For example, a female coworker may not like someone, hear they did something bad and say that's why they don't like them, then find out that they were misinformed, but still not change their opinion of their coworker. What it boils down to is that the stated fact that turned out to be false wasn't the only reason they held the opinion they did.
Old 07-03-12, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 808 Likes on 593 Posts

I can say that I absolutely loathe the idea that, during World War II, we dropped two atomic bombs on civilian targets in Japan.

But, looking back at it, I can't say it was a wrong decision.
Old 07-03-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Would it count if say... you support a particular political policy because it benefits a large amount of people which is what you feel is right, but dislike it because you know it will cost you more? I guess using healthcare as an example.
I think this is a good example. I also like and commend the honesty here.
Old 07-03-12, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This thread makes my head hurt.
Old 07-03-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

--without changing it?

Politicians do it as a SOP. Even when they are clearly wrong, they can still squirm and slither out of an argument...because...they were just "feeling" like it was wrong/right and had to take the "logical" course.
Old 07-04-12, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 449 Likes on 329 Posts

I think this thread sucks ... or do I?