Reload this Page >

Chicago violence is insane

Other Talk "Otterville"

Chicago violence is insane

Old 06-22-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Insane Chicago violence is insane

As of June 1, there were 192 murders in Chicago, up from 126 at this time last year.

Last night, five people were shot in the city. This includes a man in the heart of the Magnificent Mile, in fact right on the corner where I used to work. For non-Chicagoans, this is the main tourist district, it's like a shooting in the middle of Times Square.

228 people have died in Chicago so far this year as a result of violence. This is about double the number of troops killed in Afghanistan so far this year.

Living in the suburbs, I'm isolated from this crime. My town is basically as safe as Switzerland. If you look at a map of Chicago, some neighborhoods are essentially war zones with tightly clustered murders in a few square blocks on the south and west sides. Honestly, this type of situation is completely alien to me.

This is nothing new, but it's really started to bother me. I know that overall violent crime is down dramatically over the entire country, but when I look at these statistics from a place 30 miles from where I live, I honestly am at a loss as to how this happens. As an example of just how crazy it gets, earlier this summer, someone opened fire at a five year old's birthday and killed the birthday girl. Let's think about that, someone carelessly shot a five-year old girl in the stomach while spraying bullets around. Her family isn't talking to the police about who the culprits were even though an uncle clearly knows who it was. This is absolutely insane to me.

Maybe in some neighborhoods violence is so endemic that people just see this as normal. No one is talking about this as a huge national problem. IMO, more must be made of this situation. There needs to be a focused national discussion on murder and violence in this country. If you compare the US to any other developed country, it's basically a tornado of violence here. The most interesting aspect is that violence is so localized here: most of the country is very safe, but there are pockets of violence that rival Bogata in the mid-eighties. No one seems to find this shocking and no national politician is doing anything about it. Maybe it's political correctness, maybe it's just too sensitive a topic, but the fact that violence is so concentrated in certain neighborhoods needs to be talked about openly and honestly. This is not a reasonable situation.

Last edited by Hiro11; 07-02-12 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Request
Old 06-22-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Chicago violence is insane

I'm going there in July for a quick weekend with the wife... I'm from Detroit and even I'm afraid of getting killed now
Old 06-22-12, 09:06 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is obviously because they took prayer out of school. If we still prayed, violence wouldn't exist anymore.
Old 06-22-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
It is obviously because they took prayer out of school. If we still prayed, violence wouldn't exist anymore.
You're a cold souless God hater who loves to talk trash.
Old 06-22-12, 09:21 AM

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
You sound like a True Fan™ of God®.
Old 06-22-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Watch The Interrupters. It is eye-opening if you have never spent much time in some of these crime-ridden neighborhoods before.
Old 06-22-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
I know that overall violent crime is down dramatically over the entire country...
No one is talking about this as a huge national problem. IMO, more must be made of this situation. There needs to be a focused national discussion on murder and violence in this country.
You answered yourself here. Yes, our national violent crime rate is higher than France, Germany, Japan, etc., but it always had been. There is absolutely nothing new about that. But as you said, national rates are down, and these rate declines are not just a matter of the suburbs getting safer. Violent crime rates are the lowest they have been in 40 years and, for some crimes like robbery, are half what they were in the 1990s.

Consider New York City, which saw violent crime rates that dropped far more than the national average since the early 90s (its peak). They certainly have their share of lousy neighborhoods that rival or exceed Chicago, so why the difference? Yes, there have been some accusations of creative reporting on the part of NYPD, but it is still pretty unquestionable that violent crime rates there have plummeted.

I'm certainly not saying that what is going on in neighborhoods like Englewood isn't horrible. However, now is not the time that a national discussion or focus on the topic is going to find much traction. Plus, and I have to be honest, very few people in areas outside of neighborhoods like Englewood really care that much about their problems so long as they don't spill over into their cul-de-sac.

Edit: Also, gun control is a fairly dead topic in national politics right now. No one wants to touch it, even though the prevalence of illegal guns is most certainly a major factor in neighborhoods like this. On the other hand, gun control opponents can point towards Chicago as an example of gun control not working, since Illinois has some of the most strict laws in the country in that regard.
Old 06-22-12, 09:39 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aCbfMkh940Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-22-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They pull a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue. That's the Chicago way!
Old 06-22-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe it's political correctness, maybe it's just too sensitive a topic, but the fact that violence is so concentrated in certain neighborhoods needs to be talked about openly and honestly.
I suspect it would be "racist" to talk about it openly and honestly, and that is quite disheartening.
Old 06-22-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.newser.com/story/137737/7...n-youtube.html

Pretty brutal video. Unfortunately no Lazy Bus Monitor Catching A Free Joyride. Verbal Punching Bag. Blood, Sweating Tears Type Fund for this kid that I know of.
Old 06-22-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've thought about moving to Chicago, and there's a lot of things I love about the city, but the segregation and the violence give me pause.
Old 06-22-12, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
I've thought about moving to Chicago, and there's a lot of things I love about the city, but the segregation and the violence give me pause.
It certainly has its problems, but overall it's a great city, don't let this change your mind. I think that's part of what bothers me, I really like this city and think it does a lot of things very well. To generalize, I also like the people that live here and the general midwestern but cosmopolitan culture. I want to see Chicago do well. It frustrates me that violence continues to be a huge problem here. It frustrates me particularly because we've apparently achieved a level of acceptance and distance from the situation that when five year olds are shot at their birthday, there's not a city-wide outcry. That's not right.
Old 06-22-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly think they should pass laws where if someone has information of a crime especially a violent crime like murder and doesnt report it, should be charged with an accessory charge and sentanced to the maximum allowed by law. If they are in fear for their life then witness protection should be provided as a matter of course not just for high profile cases. I would gladly pay more in taxes for a witness protection fund for those situations.

But I think this "snitches get stitches" crap needs to die because it is literally killing people and communities. I also dont understand people who know a friend or family member did a heinous act yet protect them or hide them. If I knew my son shot a gun into a crowd and killed a little girl, I would bring him to the police station myself. Fuck him.
Old 06-22-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
You answered yourself here. Yes, our national violent crime rate is higher than France, Germany, Japan, etc., but it always had been. There is absolutely nothing new about that.
I think the US still has a higher murder rate, but as far as overall violent crimes, I don't believe that's true any more:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...of-Europe.html
Old 06-22-12, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Her family isn't talking to the police about who the culprits were even though an uncle clearly knows who it was. This is absolutely insane to me.
I know that the "don't snitch" movement/trend has been a big problem in the Boston area---I seem to recall there was some murder trial in Boston where a bunch of people showed up at the courtroom wearing "don't snitch" t-shirts.
Old 06-22-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What they need is the goddamned Batman.
Old 06-22-12, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I think the US still has a higher murder rate, but as far as overall violent crimes, I don't believe that's true any more:

Yeah, that's what Marion Barry said about Washington -- "If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low crime rate."
Old 06-22-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
What they need is the goddamned Batman.
Unfortunately he moved to Pittsburgh.
Old 06-22-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And that, truthfully, is largely a reflection of firearm prevalence in our country.
Old 06-22-12, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Three-hundred-fourteen soldiers died in Iraq /
Five-hundred-nine died in Chicago
Old 06-22-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury View Post
http://www.newser.com/story/137737/7...n-youtube.html

Pretty brutal video. Unfortunately no Lazy Bus Monitor Catching A Free Joyride. Verbal Punching Bag. Blood, Sweating Tears Type Fund for this kid that I know of.
You obviously don't know the whole story, so don't rush to judge. They had their reasons:

Spoiler:
Old 06-22-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It hasn't been true for along time, when the UK went with their gun ban, crime rates skyrocketed. Also bear in mind, the sky high rates they have are lies in themselves, their police forces hide crimes left and right to keep the numbers that low.

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
And that, truthfully, is largely a reflection of firearm prevalence in our country.
No, it's not.
Old 06-22-12, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How the fuck does Sweden have a high crime rate? Fucking dumb blondes.
Old 06-22-12, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
It hasn't been true for along time, when the UK went with their gun ban, crime rates skyrocketed. Also bear in mind, the sky high rates they have are lies in themselves, their police forces hide crimes left and right to keep the numbers that low.
Yeah, a part of my family lives in London and they've told me that large parts of the city doesn't feel safe at all at night. Because of differences in crime definition and reporting, comparing crime rates across countries is very hard to do, but I do think it's true that the overall violent crime rate is higher in the UK than the US.

However, the murder rate in the US is far higher than the UK. It's an interesting difference.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.