Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I was rear-ended, while on my motorcycle.

Old 05-26-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was rear-ended, while on my motorcycle.

At the beginning of May, I was riding my motorcycle home from work, when I stopped behind a few other cars at a red light. I heard tires screeching, looked in my mirror, and realized the vehicle doing the screeching wasn't going to be stopping in time. He hit me hard enough to damage the three vehicles in front of me. I came to on the pavement, facing back the way I had come, and knew something was strange when I didn't see any vehicle back there, only my busted up bike. The person that hit me had fled the accident, and still hasn't been found.
I was taken to the trauma center, where it was discovered that I had broken both femurs, dislocated both hips, crushed my L2 vertebra, and obtained compression fractures in several other vertebrae. During 10 hours of surgery, I had rods put into my femurs, a titanium cage in place of my L2, and L1 through L3 were fused to a titanium plate. I have to wear a back brace for the next three months while the compression fractures heal.
After a week in the ICU, I was moved to a rehab center, where I spent another week learning how to do all the things that I never thought about before. I'm able to walk with a walker, to an extent. I have to wear the brace any time I'm not laying flat on my back in bed.
The vehicle that hit me was recovered, and the owner doesn't have much in the way of insurance. I did get hooked up with lawyers that specialize in motorcycle accidents, so I guess I'll see what comes out of that. I currently have in-home nursing and therapy stopping by to keep me on the mend. Last week I had my first checkups with the spine and leg surgeons, and both are healing faster and better than they originally expected. I still have a decent amount of pain, and haven't backed off the painkillers yet. Surprisingly, I haven't had any pain in my femurs at all, mostly just my back and thighs. It's been difficult getting the muscles stretched back out to their normal length, and the exercises are pretty hard, too.

I was certainly fortunate with my injuries, they could have been much worse. I was wearing my gear, as always, which may have contributed to the lack of damage to anything above my nipples. My friends and family have been incredibly helpful. They've bought me new furniture to accommodate my busted back, built a ramp to get in my house, and added old people bars to the shower so I can get in and out. They've also put together a benefit dinner, and were able to get various motorcycle shops and the radio to donate items for a silent auction. My wife quit her job as a nurse to stay home and help me with everything.

If anyone is interested in the story that the news did, here you go:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/05/2...after-hit-run/
Old 05-26-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: I was rear-ended, while on my motorcycle.

shit man....i hope you heal up. stay strong.
Old 05-26-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Holy shit, that sucks!

Kudos to you for looking at the blessings that came out of this situation (that it could have been worse) as opposed to saying "why me?". I'm not sure I'd be able to do that.

Best of luck in your recovery and hopefully you are somehow compensated for all the shit that happened as a result. And if not, I hope karma has something appropriate in store for both sides of this event.
Old 05-26-12, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So the owner of the vehicle was not the driver?

Hit and runs should be considered attempted murder.

Glad you're making progress.
Old 05-26-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Firstly, if your in-house nurse isn't your wife, if she hot? How about the therapist? Pics?

Seriously, very sorry to hear what happened. It shows the need to wear proper gear when riding motorcycles. It's scary to think what would've happened if you weren't. Hope you have a good recovery and the lawyers can do something in the legal area.
Old 05-26-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Holy shit man. Hope for a speedy recovery for you. I also hope the asshole who hit you is found and sent to prison for many, many years.
Old 05-26-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Holy shit dude. Your story is while I'll never ride motorcycles. I've been rear ended twice, both while in regular size sedans, couldn't imagine what it'd be like on a motorcycle.

Glad you're alive.
Old 05-26-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Get better soon, man. And I hope the guy goes away for a long time. Acciddents happen but he fled so he should be held accountable.
Old 05-26-12, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You seem to be doing pretty good for somebody that had that many injuries; have faith and keep up the hard work, things will work out in the end. I hope that guy gets what is coming to him!
Old 05-26-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I honestly can't imagine the mindframe of some piece of shit who would hit anything and not stop, get out and investigate the scene.

Hope you get better soon, sounds like you're making great progress. Don't worry about how high your bills get, just sell off a yacht or two and pay it off in one lump sum like any Otter would do.
Old 05-26-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's good to see you back on the forum. Keep us posted on your progress!

Dayum, that's a scary picture of the wreck.
Old 05-26-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
I honestly can't imagine the mindframe of some piece of shit who would hit anything and not stop, get out and investigate the scene.
Odds are they were drunk, or driving without a license, or something trivial like that. They ran off, to keep from facing that charge, and now, they are guilty of something much worse.

I could put a hex on them, if you want.
Old 05-26-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man... that really sucks in more ways than one.

I hope you heal up, and man it would be nice if they caught the driver and prosecuted them.
Old 05-26-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Firstly, if your in-house nurse isn't your wife, if she hot? How about the therapist? Pics?
Actually, my wife is a nurse, but we still have someone coming to do bloodwork. So far, no, they have not been hot. On the other hand, most of the hospital nurses and therapists were hot, which made things a bit more interesting.

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
I could put a hex on them, if you want.
By all means. I'll take all the help I can get.

Fortunately (?), hit and runs are now considered felonies, at least in Colorado. I don't know if that's the case everywhere, but he'll get what's coming to him/her. I do have the yacht being cleaned up, just in case. I'd hate to lose it, since it takes two to play chicken, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

When I was in the ICU, and finally able to kind of look around at some of my injuries, I noticed that my "boys" were ballooning up larger than a softball. I was told to ice them, and damned if I didn't immediately remember KVRDave's sage advice. Medical advice on this site is still #1.
Old 05-26-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, I'm glad you're still alive and I hope they find this **** of a human who hit you.
Old 05-26-12, 12:12 PM

Prayers for healing.

Last time I helped with a benefit dinner for someone in need of health recovery we also created a PayPal link for those who weren't able to make it to also be able to donate.

If you create one and post it here at DVDTalk, my wife and I will send what we can.
Old 05-26-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
On the other hand, most of the hospital nurses and therapists were hot, which made things a bit more interesting.
I hope your wife isn't reading this thread.
Old 05-26-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Never underestimate the human's potential to avoid responsibility, no matter what the circumstance. I see this a lot in my line of work.

Get better Greg. Sounds like you're doing great.
Old 05-26-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry man

At least you have a loving wife and a cool looking cat to help you through this...
Old 05-26-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope your road to recovery goes well Greg. Glad you have a wife, family and friends to help you along the way. My best thoughts and hopes are with you.
Old 05-26-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dude, you've been through some shit! Keep up the good outlook and hope for 100% recovery!

As for the driver - I hope he burns in the depths of whatever hell he believes in.
Old 05-26-12, 12:56 PM
bcd

Dude, that is horrific. Not sure if there is anything that I can do to help but since I am somewhat local (boulder) let me know. I will be at the fundraising benefit on the 3rd for you! And I am serious about contacting me, and not just paying some BS lip service in an online thread. PM me

Last edited by bcd; 05-26-12 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-26-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy cow, that's a tough story. Best wishes on recovering as quickly as possible, and to echo others, hopefully that driver will be tracked down and brought to justice.
Old 05-26-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wish you the best, Get well soon
Old 05-26-12, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dude, I've got $20 I was going to spend on a hand job from a lady-boy, but I'd rather send it to you. Got a donation PayPal account or anything set up?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.