Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

Old 05-07-12, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

Over 200 hundred corpses litter Mount Everest.

Yeah it's a bit ghoulish, but I'm fascinated by the bodies on Everest, especially the ones who essentially had to be left there to die, in situations where a rescue would endanger more lives. I'm not sure I would be able to accept leaving someone there, even if it was for the better.

Anybody read Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air"? It's the story of his Everest climb in 1996, and unfortunately that year was one that saw the deaths of several climbers trying to summit. Krakauer was critical of several guides and climbers in his book, and several responded in interviews of books of their own ("The Climb" by Anatoli Boukreev). Boukreev then died in December 1997, while trying to summit Annapurna.

I have no desire to ever climb ...but just wondering, are there any hardcore mountain climbers here?

Article here...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/toddvanlulin...-mount-everest
Old 05-07-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Re: Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

Right click -> Loot

You recieve:

(1) Used Jacket +5 cold resistance
(3) Gold
(1) Skull of Everest Climber

Mostly low level stuff. Best to just keep going.
Old 05-07-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Everest is a dream I'd like to participate in, but it's rather expensive (around $50K). I do notice, however, that in extreme weather conditions, preparing is essential...but doesn't guarantee your survival. You can be perfectly fit, have the right gear...and then trip over some fucking little rock, and then you're just fucked unless you happen to come across a team who can help you out. Even then, there are examples where one person's accidental sprain or break, can kill an entire team who is determined to save your ass.

Unfortunately, you have to be very selfish in conditions like that.
Old 05-07-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Right click -> Loot

You recieve:

(1) Used Jacket +5 cold resistance
(3) Gold
(1) Skull of Everest Climber

Mostly low level stuff. Best to just keep going.
Dear lord. There isn't an emoticon to describe how funny I think this post is. Bravo!
Old 05-07-12, 09:02 PM

50 gas yeah ok don't thank so you get pantsn and a couple layers jackets and then so sloshes and shades 0 so your eye balls done get Brunson and then you could even be like then gys before 1990 who should put the neon yellow paint in they nose to reflect the sun and then you start walkin up the mountain. If that soccer team make it in the cold area they was other you should be able to make it here. Whats the 50 $$$ for what do it buy. Now the true tired hard think to do is tight rope walkin like the old mad who die walkin in Cuba or putorico he fell when the wind got bad and now his grandson bout to do the same walk I seen it on espn. Hell eve i could get them body's off I put them on a little sled like in a Christmas movie strap they in tie a rocket to the back and slowly push them down the hill them body be there in 3-8 minutes at the bottom. Bastards probably been lootin the body's for decades and some that money is wirth lots of Manley like the old 100 dollar bills some these dead climbers had they could be one them red seal dollar bills that worth lots o money.
Old 05-07-12, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by reggieray View Post
50 gas yeah ok don't thank so you get pantsn and a couple layers jackets and then so sloshes and shades 0 so your eye balls done get Brunson and then you could even be like then gys before 1990 who should put the neon yellow paint in they nose to reflect the sun and then you start walkin up the mountain. If that soccer team make it in the cold area they was other you should be able to make it here. Whats the 50 $$$ for what do it buy. Now the true tired hard think to do is tight rope walkin like the old mad who die walkin in Cuba or putorico he fell when the wind got bad and now his grandson bout to do the same walk I seen it on espn. Hell eve i could get them body's off I put them on a little sled like in a Christmas movie strap they in tie a rocket to the back and slowly push them down the hill them body be there in 3-8 minutes at the bottom. Bastards probably been lootin the body's for decades and some that money is wirth lots of Manley like the old 100 dollar bills some these dead climbers had they could be one them red seal dollar bills that worth lots o money.
I now want to take up mountain climbing.

(that has to be the subliminal message in there somewhere)
Old 05-07-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you tweet?
Old 05-07-12, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Now who can argue with that? Spoken in genuine internet gibberish. I whole-heartedly agree with everything I think you may have said!
Old 05-07-12, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
Dear lord. There isn't an emoticon to describe how funny I think this post is. Bravo!
Agreed. 5/5
Old 05-07-12, 09:31 PM
bcd

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Do you tweet?
NOt sure he could keep it to 140 characters....
Old 05-07-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brilliant, that's exactly what I was thinking when I was on LSD.
Old 05-07-12, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

10 posts in and this is the funniest thing I've ever read on the internet.
Old 05-07-12, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bist post evar!
Old 05-07-12, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On a related note, the camera for Mallory (pictured in the link from the OP) and Irvine might still be out there, which may reveal whether or not they reached the summit. And Kodak is not fucking around with the instructions for anyone who happens to find it. They have a Plan A, B, C, D and E for how to preserve and develop it.

http://www.velocitypress.com/mallory...html#A127_Film
Old 05-07-12, 09:47 PM

Sheeeeeeeit. Don't be Emma.
Old 05-07-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
On a related note, the camera for Mallory and Irvine might still be out there, which may reveal whether or not they reached the summit. And Kodak is not fucking around with the instructions for anyone who happens to find it. They have a Plan A, B, C, D and E for how to preserve and develop it.

http://www.velocitypress.com/mallory...html#A127_Film
Who are mallory and irvine?
Old 05-07-12, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Who are mallory and irvine?
Old 05-07-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fascinating. I never knew about any of this.
Old 05-07-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mallory and Irvine may or may not have reached the summit. But it really doesn't matter. You have to come back down alive.
Old 05-07-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
Mallory and Irvine may or may not have reached the summit. But it really doesn't matter. You have to come back down alive.
Yeah, otherwise you have to pay for the full 72oz steak meal!
Old 05-07-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've read a couple articles and some specials and I don't know how I feel about the whole Everest thing,

While still an incredible feat, it has become so scientific. Everything from the exact route, locations of base camps, oxygen needed, even food and water has basically become a check list.

You mention the bodies, but I've seen photos of the discarded supplies. Everything feom simple trash to used oxygen tanks, tents, , etc that just litter the mountain. I think this is terrible. I know an incredible think to do, but if you need it to complete, you need to pack it out. I get that your life is more important than litter, but than maybe that says something. That it shouldn't be done.
Old 05-07-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 05-07-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
Yeah I get that (and even Hillary said the same in regards to those two) but it's still something interesting that would be revealed if that camera still exists.
Old 05-07-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
Anybody read Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air"?
Great book, it had me fascinated with Everest for awhile. The movie was pretty bad, I think it was made for tv.
Old 05-07-12, 10:26 PM
bcd

Great Mountain Climbing Doc if you're interested. Touching the Void

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.