Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

Old 05-21-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
Sure it is.

I haven't been, but I'm in pretty good shape, I'm sure I could get to the summit in a day or two, pitch a tent and jog back down the next afternoon.
Please have your trip filmed by a professional. It's not easy to recover cameras from the mountain.
Old 05-21-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DirkUSA View Post
Please have your trip filmed by a professional. It's not easy to recover cameras from the mountain.
Oh I would carry the camera with me....it's going to be a solo ascent.
Old 05-21-12, 01:24 PM

Oh I would carry the camera with me....it's going to be a solo ascent.
I see. Can you upload to a cloud service via satellite? Just wanna make sure we get to see the footage.......
Old 05-21-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see. Can you upload to a cloud service via satellite? Just wanna make sure we get to see the footage.......

Shouldn't be a problem. I uploaded the footage from my solo K2 climb last year.
Old 05-21-12, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Don't forget to pack some bologna sandwiches or something.
Just make sure it isn't peanut butter. Tony the mimbo hates peanut butter.
Old 05-21-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We'll soon have a few thousand or more drones circling the planet so we might just have to pay a small fee to GovTube.
Old 05-21-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone has National Geographic for the iPad, you can live track/blog the progress of an expedition. Not sure where they are now, but I think they're still doing it.
Old 05-21-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hmmm, they all had Hoodies....
Old 05-22-12, 03:24 AM

But did they have iced tea and Skittles?
Old 05-22-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't been, but I'm in pretty good shape, I'm sure I could get to the summit in a day or two, pitch a tent and jog back down the next afternoon.
The oxygen and the temps are low up there. Blood has enough trouble getting to your extremities without you showing off.
Old 05-22-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
The oxygen and the temps are low up there. Blood has enough trouble getting to your extremities without you showing off.
Old 05-31-19, 02:16 PM
Political Exile

This is from a new article on Mt. Everest:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/w...ister=facebook

Some climbers did not even know how to put on a pair of crampons, clip-on spikes that increase traction on ice, Sherpas said.

People like that should not be allowed on the mountain.

From the same article. The bolding is mine:

I saw some people like they had no emotions, he said. I asked people for water and no one gave me any. People are really obsessed with the summit. They are ready to kill themselves for the summit.
This person also has no business being on the mountain. It's not other people's responsibility to bring water for him. It's his own responsibility.
Old 05-31-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bliss Ninnies. They think wherever they go, "nature will provide". It doesn't. We find shriveled up tourists in the desert around here who thought that.
Old 05-31-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

High on the mountain your body is so starved for oxygen that everything becomes extremely difficult. So no one will help you. Helping you will put them in a position where they need help.

When I was young I saw a doc about Everest, and the moment that chilled me was the cinematographer was filming these guys coming down from camp 4. The guys are beat tired and he asks them to clap their hands. Like a tail slate, for sound purposes. And not a single one of them could do it. No energy, utterly uncoordinated, like being drunk and exhausted at the same time.
Old 05-31-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I've never climbed something even remotely near as tall as Everest, but I did have an experience that brought me to understand how people can leave others behind the way they do on Everest.

My wife and I were simply hiking Half Dome in Yosemite which is strenuous and people have died, but only because they were really stupid/reckless. Anyway the last quarter mile is like a 30 degree incline and you pull yourself along on these pre-installed cables to get to the top (check Google for some pictures). After hiking for miles I was anxious to hit the cables and get to the top, my wife was anxious too, but we really should have stopped and rested for a half an hour, but the thrill of doing something really makes you put your judgment behind you. Let's hit these cables. Let's go to the top! After going about a 1/4 of the way up my wife says she can't do it and says she's going back down to rest. Without hesitation I said, "Okay see ya" and up I went. In hindsight I was like what were you thinking? You don't leave your climbing partner and you don't leave your fucking wife behind you idiot, what if she'd gotten hurt on the way down? But in the moment there's something about the thrill of completion and accomplishment combined with the altitude and fatigue that overwhelms all better judgment. Later, after resting she made it up and it was a great day, but I was very stupid/reckless.

When you read about how fucked up people are on Everest (they are literally in an oxygen deprived stupor that resembles a hangover and prevents you from sleeping) you realize how easy it must be to feel like you're not even there, not fully responsible for your actions.

I once saw a doc about Everest where the camera and sound man are trying to get someone to clap their hands together to "slate" the end of their shot and of the 10 or so hardy climbers that were there no one had the energy or the physical coordination to clap their hand together. It was fucking strange.
Looks like i told the same story back in 2012.
Old 05-31-19, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Bliss Ninnies. They think wherever they go, "nature will provide". It doesn't. We find shriveled up tourists in the desert around here who thought that.
Perhaps such people will be taken care of by the Darwin Awards. These idiots have more money than sense, and they should be absolutely banned for life from any mountaineering exercise... They're the epitome of entitled, blubbering assholes who think that throwing money at somethng is always the magic solution to any problem that their small brains may conjure up.
Old 05-31-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Likewise there are a few hiking spots in Phoenix where some dies every year. Dehydration and heat exhaustion. Sad.

When i I was younger and dumber, I had a few run ins with passing out from heat. I had no idea I might have never woken up. Or else I would have been careful with drinking ice water and whatnot.
Old 05-31-19, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

People are remarkably good at thinking their bodies (and constitutions) can handle way more than they actually can.
Old 06-10-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks to this thread i have spent a big part of the last week reading about Everest and watchinf documentaries and even a reality show.
its truly fascinating how fucking dellusional some people become
anyways i wanted to share this documentary on the Sherpas the real people been fucked over every year by all these tourists

​​​​​​
Old 06-10-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fucked over? I guess from a certain point of view. But they have a strong economy from all the tourism. And the climbing community, from Hillary’s regard for Norgay on down, have always given credit to the Sherpas.

Last edited by Mabuse; 06-10-19 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I should have been clearer, its not just the tourist its the whole industry and government that allows it. No personal goal is worth the risk of other peoples lives