Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

Old 05-08-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

That is such a messed up situation to be in, you're voluntarily putting yourself and people you're with in a life threatening situation. Doing an Iron Man or ultra marathon, at least you're not going to die if you fail.
Old 05-09-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
That is such a messed up situation to be in, you're voluntarily putting yourself and people you're with in a life threatening situation. Doing an Iron Man or ultra marathon, at least you're not going to die if you fail.
Sure about that???

Click here!

or

Here!
Old 05-09-12, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
^Is that why Giantrobo likes the chunky ladies? Just in case he's stranded on Everest with one of them? It's all starting to makes sense...

Old 05-09-12, 08:25 AM

More people die driving to work than climbing mountains.
Old 05-09-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
More people drive than climb mountains.
Old 05-09-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

142 Plane Crash Victims Were Statistically More Likely To Have Died In A Car Crash
Old 05-09-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who knows if the statistics that I found are correct, but after my extremely quick search, I found that 4,000 people have attempted to climb Mount Everest and 142 people have died during their attempt. That's 3.6%.

Also, according to my quick search, it's estimated that roughly 200 million people in the United States drive everyday. If 3.6% of the drivers in the United States died, that would mean 7.2 million people would die while driving every day. According to the stats I found, 115 people die while driving everyday.

Let's just say that attempting to climb Mount Everest is slightly more dangerous than driving to work.
Old 05-09-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake View Post
More people drive than climb mountains.
More people get struck in the testicles by lightning than they do driving mountains.
Old 05-09-12, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah but the thing is people have to drive to get to places, its almost a necessity to be in some sort of automobile, bus or thing that flies. You don't have to climb Mt Everest for living.

I can say only 2% of people who stab themselves on the chest really do die, so still less dangerous than biking.
Old 05-09-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Yeah but the thing is people have to drive to get to places, its almost a necessity to be in some sort of automobile, bus or thing that flies. You don't have to climb Mt Everest for living.

I can say only 2% of people who stab themselves on the chest really do die, so still less dangerous than biking.
You can't look at it like that. I will NEVER climb Mount Everest. So I have a ZERO percent chance of dying while attempting to climb Mount Everest. However, if I did choose to climb Mount Everest apparently I'd have a 3.6% chance of dying. If I chose to NEVER drive a car, I would have a ZERO percent chance of dying while driving, but if I do choose to drive, apparently I have a .0000575% chance of dying. 3.6 is a Hell of a lot bigger than .0000575.

Most people drive every single day of their lives and don't die. The same can't be said for people that attempt to climb Mount Everest.
Old 05-09-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
You can't look at it like that. I will NEVER climb Mount Everest. So I have a ZERO percent chance of dying while attempting to climb Mount Everest. However, if I did choose to climb Mount Everest apparently I'd have a 3.6% chance of dying. If I chose to NEVER drive a car, I would have a ZERO percent chance of dying while driving, but if I do choose to drive, apparently I have a .0000575% chance of dying. 3.6 is a Hell of a lot bigger than .0000575.

Most people drive every single day of their lives and don't die. The same can't be said for people that attempt to climb Mount Everest.
what if you attempt to climp Mt Everest twice, does that 3.6 double? sorry I failed math.
Old 05-09-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

what if you attempt to climp Mt Everest twice, does that 3.6 double? sorry I failed math.
Wrong thread. This belongs here!
Old 05-09-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah I'm no good at statistics either. Personally I think if you survive Everest once, I don't think you should tempt fate again.
Old 05-09-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Who knows if the statistics that I found are correct, but after my extremely quick search, I found that 4,000 people have attempted to climb Mount Everest and 142 people have died during their attempt. That's 3.6%.
That isn't the number of people who have attempted it, but rather the number that have summitted successfully. People who try to climb it but neither summit nor die aren't included in the numbers.

The percentage of deaths vs successful summits is skewed by the early years. Obviously you can still die, but it is safer now. Last year, for example, over 500 climbers summitted and three died. The total number of summits is over 5000 now. The route is also safer if you do one of the standard guided routes instead of the harder routes.

(I know that isn't related to your point of climbing vs driving; I'm just giving a little more general info)
Old 05-09-12, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People who've been here for almost 9 years or more seriously debating a post by Groucho. So that's happening.
Old 05-09-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a couple blurbs about the Sherpas.

Ang Rita Sherpa, the well-known climbing Sherpa, amassed an amazing ten Everest summits—all without oxygen. In 1999 Babu Chiri Sherpa spent 20 hours on the summit of Everest, an unheard-of feat. Babu Chiri also raced up the mountain in a record ascent of 16 hours and 56 minutes. In 1995 he ascended Everest twice within two weeks. He dedicated his Everest achievements to raising international awareness and funds for the education of Sherpa children.
Of course, success or failure on Everest comes with a price, and the Sherpas have always paid dearly for their association with the mountain. Since the first seven Sherpa fatalities in 1922, many others have lost their lives on Everest. Of the first 100 recorded Everest fatalities, for example, 41 were Sherpas.
Old 05-09-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
That isn't the number of people who have attempted it, but rather the number that have summitted successfully. People who try to climb it but neither summit nor die aren't included in the numbers.

The percentage of deaths vs successful summits is skewed by the early years. Obviously you can still die, but it is safer now. Last year, for example, over 500 climbers summitted and three died. The total number of summits is over 5000 now. The route is also safer if you do one of the standard guided routes instead of the harder routes.

(I know that isn't related to your point of climbing vs driving; I'm just giving a little more general info)
http://teacher.scholastic.com/activi...e/evefacts.htm

This is the link I used. Again, I really don't know how accurate it is. It could very well be completely bogus. That link says 4,000 have attempted to climb Everest and 660 have succeeded.
Old 05-09-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I decided to dig a little deeper and found this website.

http://www.everesthistory.com/everes...mitsbyyear.htm

I'm guessing that's much more accurate than whatever I posted above. Basically, my numbers were completely off. The above link only shows through 2005 and at that time there were over 2,000 successful summits, so I'm sure Jeremy517 is correct. My bad. I should have known something with the word "teacher" in it would be completely inaccurate.
Old 05-09-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

touche
Old 05-09-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

again, sorry for the stupid question but when it says "summits" is people that climbs could be consider succesful? So it doesn't include people that didn't make it to the top or to a certain level of altitude etc? so the numbers would be off too that way, no?
Old 05-09-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Summits means they made it to the top.
Old 05-09-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

And when you consider the logistics on the mountain, for every person that summits there are probably 4 or 5 people on the mountain in support (mostly Sherpas). So comparing fatalities to summits does not give an accurate picture. People are litterally crawling all over Everest like an ant hill and only a certain amount proceed to the summit.
Old 05-09-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
And when you consider the logistics on the mountain, for every person that summits there are probably 4 or 5 people on the mountain in support (mostly Sherpas). So comparing fatalities to summits does not give an accurate picture. People are litterally crawling all over Everest like an ant hill and only a certain amount proceed to the summit.
that was my line of thinking as well hence why I asked.
Old 05-09-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sherpas and high-altitude porters that make it to the top are counted as summiters, and ones that die are counted in the fatalities. Support staff (cooks, doctors, etc) aren't counted anywhere.
Old 05-09-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
Sherpas and high-altitude porters that make it to the top are counted as summiters, and ones that die are counted in the fatalities. Support staff (cooks, doctors, etc) aren't counted anywhere.
Those aren't even real people.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.