Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

Old 05-08-12, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Dead Bodies on Mount Everest

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
sled + mountain = gravity
They would just end up shooting over the cliff at the first turn. Now you've lost your sled.
Old 05-08-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
NOVA is awesome.
This fella would probably disagree.

Old 05-08-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I do not understand the allure of climbing a mountain.
Agreed. Climbers will say "because it's there." Well, the Atlantic Ocean is there too, but I'm not going to try to swim across it.

I don't think attempting to climb Mount Everest is any safer than walking down the middle of the freeway at night wearing all black. One thing is considered idiotic and downright insane and the other is considered a lifelong dream and a major accomplishment if you survive.
Old 05-08-12, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I've never climbed something even remotely near as tall as Everest, but I did have an experience that brought me to understand how people can leave others behind the way they do on Everest.

My wife and I were simply hiking Half Dome in Yosemite which is strenuous and people have died, but only because they were really stupid/reckless. Anyway the last quarter mile is like a 30 degree incline and you pull yourself along on these pre-installed cables to get to the top (check Google for some pictures). After hiking for miles I was anxious to hit the cables and get to the top, my wife was anxious too, but we really should have stopped and rested for a half an hour, but the thrill of doing something really makes you put your judgment behind you. Let's hit these cables. Let's go to the top! After going about a 1/4 of the way up my wife says she can't do it and says she's going back down to rest. Without hesitation I said, "Okay see ya" and up I went. In hindsight I was like what were you thinking? You don't leave your climbing partner and you don't leave your fucking wife behind you idiot, what if she'd gotten hurt on the way down? But in the moment there's something about the thrill of completion and accomplishment combined with the altitude and fatigue that overwhelms all better judgment. Later, after resting she made it up and it was a great day, but I was very stupid/reckless.

When you read about how fucked up people are on Everest (they are literally in an oxygen deprived stupor that resembles a hangover and prevents you from sleeping) you realize how easy it must be to feel like you're not even there, not fully responsible for your actions.

I once saw a doc about Everest where the camera and sound man are trying to get someone to clap their hands together to "slate" the end of their shot and of the 10 or so hardy climbers that were there no one had the energy or the physical coordination to clap their hand together. It was fucking strange.

Last edited by Mabuse; 05-09-12 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-08-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
On a related note, the camera for Mallory (pictured in the link from the OP) and Irvine might still be out there, which may reveal whether or not they reached the summit. And Kodak is not fucking around with the instructions for anyone who happens to find it. They have a Plan A, B, C, D and E for how to preserve and develop it.

http://www.velocitypress.com/mallory...html#A127_Film
Wasn't Mallory's body found in the last 10 years? Was the camera found?
Old 05-08-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The body was found in 1999 ...

But the camera is still missing.
Old 05-08-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by reggieray View Post
50 gas yeah ok don't thank so you get pantsn and a couple layers jackets and then so sloshes and shades 0 so your eye balls done get Brunson and then you could even be like then gys before 1990 who should put the neon yellow paint in they nose to reflect the sun and then you start walkin up the mountain. If that soccer team make it in the cold area they was other you should be able to make it here. Whats the 50 $$$ for what do it buy. Now the true tired hard think to do is tight rope walkin like the old mad who die walkin in Cuba or putorico he fell when the wind got bad and now his grandson bout to do the same walk I seen it on espn. Hell eve i could get them body's off I put them on a little sled like in a Christmas movie strap they in tie a rocket to the back and slowly push them down the hill them body be there in 3-8 minutes at the bottom. Bastards probably been lootin the body's for decades and some that money is wirth lots of Manley like the old 100 dollar bills some these dead climbers had they could be one them red seal dollar bills that worth lots o money.
I tried using google translate on this but I was not sure what my starting language was...

Edit I see max was able to though...

Last edited by d2cheer; 05-08-12 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-08-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I do not understand the allure of climbing a mountain.
I do, although I have no desire to climb mountains like Everest. But I've climbed a few fourteeners, and the feeling when you summit is exhilarating, and you feel like you are on top of the world.

Still, for true mountain climbing, you have to have a high tolerance for suffering, and have to get a certain enjoyment/adrenaline rush from that suffering. Kind of like what I imagine of marathoners or ultramarathoners.

the risk tolerance is an altogether separate issue; climbing Everest involves both the high tolerance for suffering and a willingness to tolerate great risk.
Old 05-08-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
the risk tolerance is an altogether separate issue; climbing Everest involves both the high tolerance for suffering and a willingness to tolerate great risk.
Isn't K2 the harder mountain?
Old 05-08-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm sorry but anyone who leaves a person DYING while they continue the climb...

That's just wrong. I get that there are unique circumstances in this but still.
Old 05-08-12, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Isn't K2 the harder mountain?
did I say Everest was the hardest mountain?
Old 05-08-12, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post

The "unique circumstance" is that in your attempt to help you will almost certainly die too. Peoples bodies are such a mess at those elevations you are using all of your strength and all of your concentration just to remember to put one foot in front of the other. If you were to attempt to assist another climber (who was injured or extremely sick or horribly dissoriented) you would quickly run out of energy, get disoriented, or become injured yourself. Then you're both fucked.
Old 05-08-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
did I say Everest was the hardest mountain?
Don't be so touchy. It was just a question, not a question of your character.
Old 05-08-12, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry Robo. I'm sure you're a nice guy and all but if it's between you and me...I'm choosing me.
Old 05-08-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The "unique circumstance" is that in your attempt to help you will almost certainly die too. Peoples bodies are such a mess at those elevations you are using all of your strength and all of your concentration just to remember to put one foot in front of the other. If you were to attempt to assist another climber (who was injured or extremely sick or horribly dissoriented) you would quickly run out of energy, get disoriented, or become injured yourself. Then you're both fucked.
Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Sorry Robo. I'm sure you're a nice guy and all but if it's between you and me...I'm choosing me.
I get all that. There are times where you have no choice but to leave someone behind for the good of the many. Warzones, in the midst of a violent crime being committed, and etc... But you see, to me there is little justification for this particular "thrill" if it comes before another human life.

Are you people so cold that another person's life means so little just so you can get the thrill of a climb?
Old 05-08-12, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't leave you Giantrobo.

At the very least I'd give you a good push to start you rolling back down...
Old 05-08-12, 07:52 PM
Banned

When some poor fuck is there dying..and you helping him survive could mean your death? Yeah. Fuck the poor fucker. I'll be crying if I did it but one dead man is better than 1 dead man and his dead sherpa.

Facts of life, man.

The thrill of the climb and whatever entails in that is your reason to go up. Going up is hard as fuck. It can kill you. Now say you're at a level where if you stop long enough you will die? And now there's some fuck there dying? It ain't about the thrill by that point it's surviving.
Old 05-08-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
When some poor fuck is there dying..and you helping him survive could mean your death? Yeah. Fuck the poor fucker. I'll be crying if I did it but one dead man is better than 1 dead man and his dead sherpa.

Facts of life, man.

The thrill of the climb and whatever entails in that is your reason to go up. Going up is hard as fuck. It can kill you. Now say you're at a level where if you stop long enough you will die? And now there's some fuck there dying? It ain't about the thrill by that point it's surviving.
That's fine. I just hope some "fuck" never has to leave you behind...

Remind me to never do anything life threatening with you because CLEARLY you will NOT have my back. Your "thrill" is more important than someone else's life. And we wonder why the World is so fucked up.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-08-12 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-08-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I get all that. There are times where you have no choice but to leave someone behind for the good of the many. Warzones, in the midst of a violent crime being committed, and etc... But you see, to me there is little justification for this particular "thrill" if it comes before another human life.

Are you people so cold that another person's life means so little just so you can get the thrill of a climb?
I'm no expert but I don't think people get left behind just so the others can reach the top. It's more about simply surviving. During many climbs, the goal of reaching the summit gets abandoned pretty quickly and the only goal is to make it down alive. I think that's where many people get left behind. Sometimes you only have a small window of time to gain distance before weather and extreme conditions roll in so "wasting" precious minutes trying to help somebody only decreases your own chances of survival.
Old 05-08-12, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post

Facts of life, man.

I'd honestly be content with just making it as far as I could and NOT making it to the peak. Just being there, making it to the first BC would be good enough for me.

By the time I get there, there won't be any snow on it! At least that's what some people say, given there are more injuries pertaining to rock slides & slips versus snow issues.

If I ever do end up missing, start looking in the mountains first.
Old 05-08-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the movie K2 has taught me anything it's that these rich asshole thrillseekers that climb mountains like Everest wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire much less risk their own lives (or their glory) to save your life.

I wonder how true that is of real life Everest climbers?
Old 05-08-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
I'm no expert but I don't think people get left behind just so the others can reach the top. It's more about simply surviving. During many climbs, the goal of reaching the summit gets abandoned pretty quickly and the only goal is to make it down alive. I think that's where many people get left behind. Sometimes you only have a small window of time to gain distance before weather and extreme conditions roll in so "wasting" precious minutes trying to help somebody only decreases your own chances of survival.
Generally speaking, that is my understanding. The decisions isn't "I could save you or I could summit, so I choose to summit, sorry". The decision is "I can try to save you and we both die, or I can leave you and live". Of course, I am sure some have made the former decisions.
Old 05-08-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I wouldn't leave you Giantrobo.

At the very least I'd give you a good push to start you rolling back down...
I woudn't do that until I'm sure I won't run out of food.
Old 05-08-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Is that why Giantrobo likes the chunky ladies? Just in case he's stranded on Everest with one of them? It's all starting to makes sense...
Old 05-08-12, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Right click -> Loot

You recieve:

(1) Used Jacket +5 cold resistance
(3) Gold
(1) Skull of Everest Climber

Mostly low level stuff. Best to just keep going.
I almost choked to death laughing at this. Post of the year if you ask me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.