Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do pick-up truck drivers insist on backing into every parking space?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Why do pick-up truck drivers insist on backing into every parking space?

Old 05-25-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Why do pick-up truck drivers insist on backing into every parking space?

I don't care about people who back into parking spaces, as long as they are competent at backing in. People who back into diagonal spaces drive me nuts though. First of all, they're angled so that traffic should only be coming from one direction, which should make traffic completely visible to the person backing out of the space. So if you're backing into one, you were probably already driving in the wrong direction.

And second of all, in order to pull out of a diagonal space when you're facing head out, you either have to pull out again in the wrong direction, or you have to make a really funky wide turn, which is hard to do with other cars next to you, and the driving lane is usually not big enough to accommodate such a turn, because it's built for one lane, single direction traffic.

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 05-25-17 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-25-17, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

^^ Since you mentioned the diagonal parking spaces.

I hate arenas and stadiums that have those when most people are trying to get out at once. That is one of the places I prefer people to back in the spots (without the diagonal parking).
Old 05-25-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recently got into a 4-door F150 (with standard 6' bed) as a work lease... aside from being easier to pull out of spots, the damned turning radius is so big on a truck that you almost need to always stop, back up and pull in straight into any spot anyways. To each his own, but I do tend to back in when appropriate... I'd never make a person behind me stop so I could pull off that move.
Old 05-25-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
About half the men in my middle-class neighborhood own giant full-size pickups, and I think only two of them use them for any type of work. A guy on my block commutes to work in a lifted diesel F-350 with mud tires, probably one of the most impractical commuter vehicles you could find. It's like they're trying to convince the world they're real men, and not low-testosterone desk jockeys. People can obviously buy and drive whatever they want, but the big truck trend is kind of ridiculous.
Old 05-26-17, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've noticed this too and its a pet peeve of my mine. Mainly it seems that everyone that backs in screws it up, inevitably, feels like every time. They always seem incredulous, but I think its the norm. So I wait while they back up and pull forward three or so times, just this once.
Old 05-26-17, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My neighbors always back into their driveway. We live on a quiet street with very little traffic, so there isn't a safety reason for doing it like others have mentioned for backing out of a spot in a parking lot. It literally takes less time to back out of the driveway and drive away than it does for them to carefully back their vehicles into the driveway. WHY, GODDAMN IT? They flip up their wiper blades all winter long too, and that also makes me shake my head.
Old 05-26-17, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always park facing out, but I don't back in--I go far enough out in the lot that I can pull across the line between the rows of cars. *shrug*
Old 05-26-17, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I drive an F250 sometimes and that thing is a pain to swing into a packing space almost anytime. I can't imagine having to back it in while trying to park.
Oh wow. Old thread. I do NOT miss driving this beast. It was a long bed and a huge pain in the arse.
Old 05-26-17, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I always park facing out, but I don't back in--I go far enough out in the lot that I can pull across the line between the rows of cars. *shrug*
I also do this.
Old 05-26-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was once told that there's a common misconception that tow trucks can't hook to the front of vehicles, so people behind on payments and fearing reposession will do this. It's BS, but may be the reason some people do it.
And yeah, it's super common with the rednecks here in Alabama with their jacked up diesel trucks covered in Browning/Confederate flag/Crimson Tide/Salt Life/Assault Life/Pissing Calvin/Don't Tread On Me stickers.
Old 05-26-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nosebleed View Post
My neighbors always back into their driveway. We live on a quiet street with very little traffic, so there isn't a safety reason for doing it like others have mentioned for backing out of a spot in a parking lot. It literally takes less time to back out of the driveway and drive away than it does for them to carefully back their vehicles into the driveway. WHY, GODDAMN IT? They flip up their wiper blades all winter long too, and that also makes me shake my head.
Because it makes for a quick emergency exit situation? Just get in your car and drive forward instead of doing a reverse two point turn?
Old 05-26-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Lol @ all the folks who get offended and annoyed with folks who back in.
Old 05-26-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Never understood the need to back in to a space to begin with - you put the time in when you come or when you go. There are circumstances when backing in makes sense but as an everyday practical manner, its annoying to wait for someone to back in.

My last two cars had rear cameras (don't they all nowadays?) and my new car chimes like fuck if a car or person is anywhere near my backend when I put it in reverse.
Old 05-26-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
In standard parking lots... backing in is the best/safest option unless you specifically need access to your trunk for larger items, which I don't think anyone disputes, really.
How do you know there aren't kids in your blind spot in the parking spot you are backing into? Argument is lame.
Old 05-26-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All you parking Nazis need to chill out, it's Friday.

I haven't got a garage or driveway in front of my townhouse, so I have to parallel park. I am quite proud of how good I've gotten at it over the years. haha

Also, I never back in, as I said ... I drive across the line when both adjacent spaces are empty. The idea for me is NEVER having to back in OR back up, so that I don't HIT anybody with my huge, punishing Ford Focus.
Old 05-26-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have and F-150 crew cab with 6.5' bed. The turn radius is large. Pulling straight into most retail parking stalls is a pain, I usually have to straighten out a couple times to fit (as it requires a wider swing to get the ass end straight). Backing in is much easier as it allows for a tighter swing. So in retail spaces with a smaller lot, backing in is ideal. Places like Costco, with wider stalls and wider aisles, pulling in head first works fine. It's all about the turn radius. My wife's CR-V turns on a dime and I can park that anywhere.
Old 05-26-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
My gf drives a truck and she always backs in. She says it's because of this but I suspect there is also a bit of a pride thing going on.

I drive a car but when I go to work in the morning I back into a spot. I forget where I heard it (I think it was a movie) but I remember hearing one time that after a hard, shity day at work just the fact you don't have to back out of a spot can perk you up.
You have just convinced me to back in at work from now on.
Old 05-26-17, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For you folks who don't know how to back in.

Old 05-26-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Backing in is better

Backing into traffic in parking lots is more hazardous than you might think. Parking lot crash statistics are a bit hazy, particularly for crashes involving only property damage, but a study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in 2001 and 2002 found that 14 percent of all damage claims involved crashes in parking lots (some number of which must have involved vehicles moving in and out of spaces). More seriously, there is a whole category of crashes, often fatal, tracked by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, called “backover crashes”: These typically occur in driveways and parking lots, often involve children, and happen at a higher rate to drivers of SUVs and "light-duty trucks," owing to the reduced visibility they offer (not just to their drivers but to those parked adjacent). Indeed, the last crash I was involved with occurred when a driver backed his SUV from a parking space into my driver's side door as I waited for traffic to clear.
Old 05-26-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I saw on TV recently a parking lot where when you pull in tells you your spot # and you just pull forward into that spot like Vibiana was saying. If there are no pull through spots available it gives you a spot behind the car that's been there the longest - ensuring that by the time you are done you'll be able to pull through and out without having to back up.
Old 05-26-17, 07:54 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
How do you know there aren't kids in your blind spot in the parking spot you are backing into? Argument is lame.
Because 99% of the time, you've literally just slowed down in front of the spot, with a full view of what's around you?

The point is whether it's safer to go in reverse while you've already driven past the area, or to go in reverse after being parked for any amount of time.

This feels like the Monty Hall argument Statistics are on the side of reverse parking, y'all.

(and again, to be clear, no one's saying you shouldn't park forwards if you need access to the trunk for large items/loads, but otherwise... reverse parking in standard parking spots/driveways is safer. Period.)

PS: NO YOU'RE LAME!!!!
Old 05-27-17, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nosebleed View Post
I back into the driveway. We live on a quiet street. So quiet that kids play in front of our house.
Old 05-29-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I always back in, its just so easy to pull out of a parking space, unless I'm at Costco, need easy access to the trunk, for the pallet of what ever you have just purchased
Old 05-29-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I back into the driveway in case a zombie situation unfolds. Quicker getaway. You never know!
Old 06-02-17, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
My gf drives a truck and she always backs in. She says it's because of this but I suspect there is also a bit of a pride thing going on.

I drive a car but when I go to work in the morning I back into a spot. I forget where I heard it (I think it was a movie) but I remember hearing one time that after a hard, shity day at work just the fact you don't have to back out of a spot can perk you up.
Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
You have just convinced me to back in at work from now on.
Been doing this for about a week now and I am sold. It does have a slightly uplifting effect when leaving work.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.