Reload this Page >

Woman Faces 20 Years after "Standing her Ground"

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 04-20-12, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

So let me get this straight, a women shoots up into the ceiling to warn her violent Husband away and she faces 20years...yet Zimmerman, if I'm to believe the "Team Zimmerman" fanbase, should be out free...and he actually KILLED someone? But hey, at least she was arrested even though she didn't kill anyone.

This "Stand you Ground" law seems pretty inconsistent.

I will say that, she never should've said she was leaving him. Clearly it set a chain of events into action.

The NAACP’s Jacksonville chapter has thrown its support behind a woman who will be sentenced Monday in a shooting where she claimed self-defense against an abusive husband under the state’s “Stand Your Ground” law.

<b>Marissa Danielle Alexander, 31, was charged with three counts of aggravated assault in August 2010 after she fired a single shot into the ceiling of her home during a dispute that somehow turned physical.

A judge denied her immunity in a “Stand Your Ground” hearing. And after a jury found her guilty, she faces a mandatory term of 20 years in prison.</b>

“This is a clear case of domestic violence against Marissa,” branch President Isaiah Rumlin said Friday. “After looking into it and studying the case, this is a clear case of “Stand Your Ground” as it relates to what she had to do on the date that she did it.”

Alexander’s husband, Rico Gray, 36, was arrested in 2006 and 2009 on misdemeanor charges of domestic battery. Charges were dropped in one case and he was given probation in the other. Alexander had an injunction for protection against domestic violence against Gray following his 2009 arrest. Police have withheld Alexander’s address and it is unclear if the couple were living together.

But authorities, on the accounts of her husband and her two stepsons, have said it was Alexander who began the violence, “hitting on” Gray. In her arrest report, all three said she pointed the gun in their direction before the shot was fired.

Less than five months later, Alexander was arrested, again, on a domestic battery charge involving her husband.

Alexander has maintained that it was Gray who was the aggressor, becoming enraged when she told him she was leaving him.

“He assaulted me, shoving, straggling and holding me against my will, preventing me from fleeing all while I begged him to leave,” Alexander wrote in a blog posted by her first husband on a web site set up in support of her.

<b>In the post, Alexander wrote the attack began while she was using the restroom at their house. She said she had made it to the garage but could not leave when she realized she did not have her keys and the garage door was not working.

She said she then grabbed her gun, for which she said **she has a concealed weapons permit,** with her fear heightened by her husband’s history of abusing women, including her. She said she went back inside and again met her husband in the kitchen where he then threatened her life.

“I was terrified from the first encounter and feared he came to do as he threatened,” she wrote. That’s when she said Gray “charged” at her.

“In fear and a desperate attempt, I lifted my weapon up, turned away and discharged a single shot in the wall up the ceiling.”</b>

Alexander wrote that the law states that she had no duty to retreat.

But a jury disagreed, finding her guilty as charged March 16.

Attorneys for both sides declined to comment on the specifics of the case with the sentencing still to come.

State Attorney Angela Corey, however, said the jury heard the whole story and the public will, too, at the sentencing. Then, she said, she will be willing to shed more light on a matter she said she has been “very involved with from the beginning.”

<b>Lincoln Alexander has also been involved from the beginning. He is Alexander’s first husband of eight years. The two divorced in 2010.

Alexander said he has maintained his friendship with his ex and has witnessed the signs of abuse. He described Alexander’s accounts of the multiple beatings she took from Gray, including one that left her with a black eye when she was eight months pregnant.

According to Alexander, his ex-wife was also hospitalized by police at the hands of her husband the night of her domestic battery arrest.</b>

Alexander said he had never had any domestic issues in his marriage with her.

Marissa Alexander filed for divorce from her husband Tuesday, according to court records.

The NAACP has sent a letter to Circuit Judge James Daniel, asking him to hold off the sentencing and order a new trial.

Story Here
Old 04-20-12, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Woman Faces 20 Years after "Standing her Ground"

Giantgrundle?
Old 04-20-12, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Florida!

Given the way Walker's been treating women I figured it would be here. /politics
Old 04-20-12, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Giantgrundle?
A dude that like fat chicks who read the daily mail. That's all we need.
Old 04-20-12, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Wasn't Zimmerman arrested and charged with murder in the 2nd degree? Seems we should wait for evidence and verdicts on these before we get too excited.
Old 04-20-12, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Wasn't Zimmerman arrested and charged with murder in the 2nd degree? Seems we should wait for evidence and verdicts on these before we get too excited.
details, details. meh.
Old 04-20-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stop making sense
Old 04-20-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 04-20-12, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't figure out how to feel about this case without Sharpton or Jackson telling me how I need to feel. Help.
Old 04-21-12, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I can't figure out how to feel about this case without Sharpton or Jackson telling me how I need to feel. Help.
Old 04-21-12, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why is she being charged with assault if she only fired into the ceiling?
Old 04-21-12, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Do as you please. Not sure what more you would need but ok. I'm just saying although I support a right to defend oneself, the "Stand your Ground" has some "issues".

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-21-12 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-21-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow. Do you also need the media to tell you what to think?
Old 04-21-12, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by wearetheborg View Post

That's the question. But some here would rather be smartasses and lose sight of the real issue. But that's fine.
Old 04-21-12, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because it was a white ceiling.
Old 04-21-12, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
That's the question. But some here would rather be smartasses and lose sight of the real issue. But that's fine.
There's nothing new here. In post #2 of the Martin case a month ago I wrote about the stand your ground law "when you've got a funky law like this on the books who knows..". So it's a funky law. Nobody ever said it wasn't. Can it be used in the Zimmerman case? Yes. Does the fact that it was refused in this case have anything to do with the Zimmerman case? No. Is this case completely different than the Zimmerman case? Yes. So.. What's the real issue? I agree.. I think most people agree SYG is broad and shouldn't even be on the books. But it is.
Old 04-21-12, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Assault is the threat and battery is the action.

I learned that when I was a news photographer. If someone yelled at me or threatened me when I was legitimately covering a news story (like standing on public property), they could be charged with assault. If they touched me or my camera, it became battery.
Old 04-21-12, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

There's nothing new here. In post #2 of the Martin case a month ago I wrote about the stand your ground law "when you've got a funky law like this on the books who knows..". So it's a funky law. Nobody ever said it wasn't. Can it be used in the Zimmerman case? Yes. Does the fact that it was refused in this case have anything to do with the Zimmerman case? No. Is this case completely different than the Zimmerman case? Yes. So.. What's the real issue? I agree.. I think most people agree SYG is broad and shouldn't even be on the books. But it is.
Well, it's new to me. I had no idea this law was so screwed up and off balance until Zimmerman vs. Martin and then this case.
Old 04-21-12, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Well, it's new to me. I had no idea this law was so screwed up and off balance until Zimmerman vs. Martin and then this case.
I hear ya. When I first heard about the Zimmerman/Martin case I researched it when someone mentioned that it was a possible defense for Zimmerman and the more I read up on it the more absurd it became. If nothing else these cases are getting them to review it. Gov. Scott ordered a panel to review it and some other controversial laws yesterday. So maybe they'll bring some sanity to the madness - eventually.

I should point out I actually like the spirit of the law but it really needs tight definition. It's waaaay to broad right now.

Last edited by General Zod; 04-21-12 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-21-12, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Stupid lady fired 3 shots...and missed. What's more to say.
Old 04-21-12, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

But a jury disagreed, finding her guilty as charged March 16.

. . .

State Attorney Angela Corey, however, said the jury heard the whole story and the public will, too, at the sentencing. Then, she said, she will be willing to shed more light on a matter she said she has been “very involved with from the beginning.”
Sounds like there is more to the story than what is written in the article.
Old 04-21-12, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So let me get this straight, a women shoots up into the ceiling to warn her violent Husband away and she faces 20years...yet Zimmerman, if I'm to believe the "Team Zimmerman" fanbase, should be out free...and he actually KILLED someone? But hey, at least she was arrested even though she didn't kill anyone.

This "Stand you Ground" law seems pretty inconsistent.
Actually, the law and prosecutor seem more consistent (person arrested and went to trial) than the NAACP (who sometimes love, sometimes hate "stand your ground"). Here, the judge, who may have been right or wrong, somehow determined "stand your ground didn't apply, and the prosecutor is arguing that in Zimmerman.

Now, was the jury right or wrong? There may be more we haven't heard. From the story, I am confused whether it is her house, his house, or their house. Did he have a legal right to be there, or did he not due to the protection order. Since there are no independent witnesses, it becomes she said, they said (husband and stepsons).

If the perp had a right to be there too, you better have some injuries to back up your claim of a threat. If the perp had no right to be there, always aim center of mass and eliminate a hostile witness. Oh wait, Zimmerman does have some injuries. We'll have to wait and see what happens. Both cases seem a little short of solid independent evidence.
Old 04-21-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TruGator View Post
Sounds like there is more to the story than what is written in the article.
As in both cases im guessing....
Old 04-21-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
Actually, the law and prosecutor seem more consistent (person arrested and went to trial) than the NAACP (who sometimes love, sometimes hate "stand your ground"). Here, the judge, who may have been right or wrong, somehow determined "stand your ground didn't apply, and the prosecutor is arguing that in Zimmerman.

Now, was the jury right or wrong? There may be more we haven't heard. From the story, I am confused whether it is her house, his house, or their house. Did he have a legal right to be there, or did he not due to the protection order. Since there are no independent witnesses, it becomes she said, they said (husband and stepsons).

If the perp had a right to be there too, you better have some injuries to back up your claim of a threat. If the perp had no right to be there, always aim center of mass and eliminate a hostile witness. Oh wait, Zimmerman does have some injuries. We'll have to wait and see what happens. Both cases seem a little short of solid independent evidence.

We'll wait and see....
Old 04-21-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post

Why do people insist on dragging in common sense?! Ughhhhh!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.