Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I need an unusual flavor from one of you. :)

Other Talk "Otterville"

I need an unusual flavor from one of you. :)

Old 04-17-12, 05:05 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 15,553
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

/b/
Old 04-17-12, 05:05 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Jules Winfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: wandering the earth like Caine in the Kung-Fu
Posts: 19,937
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

It is pretty creepy that you would want a stranger to write to some 17 year old for you, basically scaring him. I think you should inform him yourself or hire someone you know to kill him. Hoo-Ahh.
Old 04-17-12, 05:07 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

So, OP, how's the thread turning out for you?
Old 04-17-12, 05:09 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,049
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
Have your daughter tell him "you first". Once he sends his pics notify the police, he gets arrested, he pays fines and court costs, gets put on the sexual offender registry etc etc....
+1. This is a better plan than what the OP proposes. Who knows if the 'boy' really is 17...
Old 04-17-12, 05:23 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,003
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Send the 17 year old a full body nude shot of an old man. Email it with a note that says "this is who you've been talking to". Problem solved.
That would actually be illegal since you'd be sending a nude photo to a minor.
Old 04-17-12, 05:34 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Nefarious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Middle
Posts: 5,382
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Confront him and tell him to fuck a teacher like every other boy his age. This is ridiculous.
Old 04-17-12, 07:04 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,190
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
Have your daughter tell him "you first". Once he sends his pics notify the police, he gets arrested, he pays fines and court costs, gets put on the sexual offender registry etc etc....
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
That would actually be illegal since you'd be sending a nude photo to a minor.
Exactly. She'd be put on the sex offender list.
Old 04-17-12, 07:10 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,525
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

If I was 17 years old and got some anonymous letter in the mail I'd throw it in the trash.

Is the OP serious?
Old 04-17-12, 07:13 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 60,689
Received 813 Likes on 547 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Which one of you dvdtalk muthahfuckahs is asking for nudes from her daughter?!

Old 04-17-12, 07:14 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Gateway Cities/Harbor Region
Posts: 60,689
Received 813 Likes on 547 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
Confront him and tell him to fuck a teacher like every other boy his age. This is ridiculous.
Old 04-17-12, 07:29 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,739
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Have him send pics first...and then email them to a few of us here. We'll have a new Photoshop addition.
Old 04-17-12, 07:34 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,856
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Keeping an eye on this thread...
Old 04-17-12, 08:07 PM
  #38  
Admin
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Herding cats
Posts: 34,942
Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser View Post
Keeping an eye on this thread...
Should I sticky it?
Old 04-17-12, 08:12 PM
  #39  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Where was mhg83 when all this was happening?
Old 04-17-12, 08:15 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Decadance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,781
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Where was mhg83 when all this was happening?
Impersonating a 17 year old boy, hoping the OPs daughter was packing a pecker.
Old 04-17-12, 08:20 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 4,352
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

This is just the one you know about.
Old 04-17-12, 08:26 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,031
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

A reasonable person doesn't try to kill flies with a tank. You need to follow a course of escalating action, or you may give the impression of appearing not just unreasonable, but you could run into serious legal trouble following some advice here.

Depending on the nature of "inappropriate", I'd email him and tell him to not contact my daughter.

If he continued, I'd block his IP address and contact his parents. The reception I get from them would then determine the next course of action. If they're helpful, that's probably the end of it.

If they're helpful, but he continues to try to reach my daughter, then I contact his parents again and let them know that if his unwelcome activity continues, I'll complain to their ISP and they stand a chance of losing their internet service. I also tell them a third time will have me calling their local authorities.

If a third time happens, I file a complaint with the authorities in their community and check out restraining orders.

If that still doesn't do any good, then this thread is full of knowledgable helpful people who know how to solve problems with sage advice... you should take with huge lumps of salt.
Old 04-17-12, 08:30 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,856
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
I didn't get my fucking pic!!








Wait... I posted after you.
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Where was mhg83 when all this was happening?
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Should I sticky it?

That is what the boy wants to do after he gets those pix!
Old 04-17-12, 08:34 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,525
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Does anyone else think this 17-year old is probably a 43 year-old guy who typically would be on To Catch a Predator?
Old 04-17-12, 09:26 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,623
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Originally Posted by beavismom View Post
... online friendship ..... but I don't want to worry about her having a weak moment.

For those wondering, if this doesn't help, we will be taking more serious measures.
It rather seems to me that your problem is with your daughter, not the boy.

If your daughter cannot be trusted to ignore online requests, how will she survive in real life?
Old 04-17-12, 10:10 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Nefarious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Middle
Posts: 5,382
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
So, OP, how's the thread turning out for you?
It should come as no surprise but the OP is out trying to find a complete stranger to reply to this thread on her behalf.
Old 04-17-12, 11:09 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,620
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

As always, you never know what you are going to get here, but I expected most of these comments. I am not looking for someone to parent for me. I have a good relationship with my daughter and we have discussed this issue and the terrible consequences she could face if she were to do something like this. She has been telling him no, exactly as she should, but I was looking for something that might ease this pressure without ruining anyone's life.

It amuses me that this forum which is full of commentary about all the teachers you would have been with in high school, etc. is so quick to want to ruin this kid. Not that I think it will matter to most of you anyway, but this has been a progressive relationship. They have been talking for months and he may have genuine feelings for her. That doesn't mean I want her sending him pics either.

As for taking her phone, taking away her computer, etc. You are suggesting I punish her for something she hasn't done. Not only that, she has access to friend's phones and computers and I can't monitor those the way I do here at home.

The reality is that she is doing what all teens do and is starting to explore relationships. The boy makes her feel good about herself in a way that a parent can't. She is taller and smarter than most of the kids in her class so she hasn't had a lot of interest from boys in person. She goes to high school next year though and I am very confident that she will move to a more realistic relationship pattern and lose the internet boyfriend on her own. I am just trying to keep things calm in the meantime.

As I mentioned in the first post, if the pressure doesn't ease up I am prepared to take whatever action I have to in order to protect her.
Old 04-17-12, 11:27 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,975
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Originally Posted by beavismom View Post
As always, you never know what you are going to get here, but I expected most of these comments. I am not looking for someone to parent for me. I have a good relationship with my daughter and we have discussed this issue and the terrible consequences she could face if she were to do something like this. She has been telling him no, exactly as she should, but I was looking for something that might ease this pressure without ruining anyone's life.

It amuses me that this forum which is full of commentary about all the teachers you would have been with in high school, etc. is so quick to want to ruin this kid. Not that I think it will matter to most of you anyway, but this has been a progressive relationship. They have been talking for months and he may have genuine feelings for her. That doesn't mean I want her sending him pics either.

As for taking her phone, taking away her computer, etc. You are suggesting I punish her for something she hasn't done. Not only that, she has access to friend's phones and computers and I can't monitor those the way I do here at home.

The reality is that she is doing what all teens do and is starting to explore relationships. The boy makes her feel good about herself in a way that a parent can't. She is taller and smarter than most of the kids in her class so she hasn't had a lot of interest from boys in person. She goes to high school next year though and I am very confident that she will move to a more realistic relationship pattern and lose the internet boyfriend on her own. I am just trying to keep things calm in the meantime.

As I mentioned in the first post, if the pressure doesn't ease up I am prepared to take whatever action I have to in order to protect her.
So...

Pics of your daughter? Non-Nude of course

But seriously, if he sent your daughter a pic claiming to be him, there's a site you can go on where you upload the pic and it tells you if it's been used on other sites. If he's an older creeper he may have taken a pic from the internet and claimed it was him.

edit: Here's the site:
http://www.tineye.com/
Old 04-17-12, 11:40 PM
  #49  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

My question is, if the letter is anonymous, why not write it yourself?
Old 04-17-12, 11:51 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,620
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: I need an unusual favor from one of you. :)

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
My question is, if the letter is anonymous, why not write it yourself?
I wanted it mailed from a different state so that it wouldn't be easily traced back to us. Anonymous doesn't get you very far if it is postmarked from where you live.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.