Waitress turns over $12K tip, whines about it

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 04-05-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From ABC News:

Stacy Knutson, a struggling Minnesota waitress and mother of five, says she was searching for a "miracle" to help her family with financial problems.

But that "miracle" quickly came and went after police seized a $12,000 tip that was left at her table. Knutson filed a lawsuit in Clay County District Court stating that the money is rightfully hers. Police argue it is drug money.

Knutson was working at the Fryn' Pan in Moorhead, Minn., when, according to her attorney, Craig Richie, a woman left a to-go box from another restaurant on the table. Knutson followed the woman to her car to return the box to her.

"No I am good, you keep it," the woman said, according to the lawsuit.

Knutson did not know the woman and has not seen her since, Richie said. Knutson thought it was "strange" that the woman told her to keep it but she took it inside. The box felt too heavy to be leftovers, Ritchie said, so she opened it -- only to find bundles of cash wrapped in rubber bands.

"Even though I desperately needed the money as my husband and I have five children, I feel I did the right thing by calling the Moorhead Police," Knutson said in the lawsuit.

Police seized the money and originally told Knutson that if no one claimed it after 60 days, it was hers. She was later told 90 days, Richie said. When 90 days passed, Knutson was still without the $12,000.

Police told Knutson the money was being held as "drug money" and she would receive a $1,000 reward instead, the lawsuit states. Lt. Tory Jacobson of the Moorhead police said he could not disclose much information about the case because it is an ongoing investigation.

"With turning this money over to us, we initiated an investigation to determine whose money this is," Jacobson told ABC News. "The result has been a narcotics investigation."

Police argue that the money had a strong odor of marijuana and therefore falls under a law that allows for forfeiture of the money because it was in the proximity of a controlled substance, the lawsuit states. But there were no drugs in the box and Richie said he believes this law is not being used correctly.

"Because it was in contact with drugs somewhere along the line, it's somehow drug money," Richie said. "This isn't drug money."

A police dog also performed a sniff test on the money and, according to the dog's handler, discovered an odor.

Two of Knutson's co-workers, along with her son Brandon, were at the Fryn' Pan the night she discovered the money. Her co-workers say they did not smell marijuana.

"I know the smell of marijuana," Nickolas Fronning, a line cook at the Fryn' Pan, said in an affidavit. "I can also assure you that there was no smell of marijuana on the bills or coming from the box."

There was nothing suspicious in the restaurant when the money was found, co-workers said. They don't why it was given to Knutson.

"She was just in the right place at the right time," Tracy Johnson, the assistant manager at the Fryn' Pan, told ABC News.

Knutson's family has had a long financial struggle. She has been a waitress at the Fryn' Pan for 18 years.

"We do everything we can to make ends meet, but often times everything is not covered," she said in the lawsuit.

Knutson's financial woes are well-known in her church, Richie said. She believes that perhaps someone from the church gave her the money through this woman but did not want to be identified.

"Somebody knew she really needed the money and she needed to be helped," Richie said.

Jacobson says it is up to the judge to decide who the money rightfully belongs to.

"The police department doesn't have a decision on either side," Jacobson said. "She did the right thing, we credit her with that. It's certainly not the police department against her. We're actually with her."

But Richie said he firmly believes this is not drug money and it rightfully belongs to Knutson.

"The only thing that smells bad about this is that it's unfair," Richie said. "So that's why we're doing something about it."

Let's just blindly turn over a huge amount of money that would help your life to a police force who clearly prefers to keep it. You know what would have been easier? Keeping the damn money the woman TOLD you to keep.

I hope she gets nothing back.
Old 04-05-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Waitress turns over $12K tip, whines about it

I hope she learns her lesson - Doing the "right thing" is never the right thing.
Old 04-05-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if she gets the money now the lawyer and taxes will take a big chunk. She could have had 12Gs clear.
Old 04-05-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't understand the thought process of some people. Clearly you pocket the money and never mention it at work again.
Old 04-05-12, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yet another example why women should just stay in the kitchen.
Old 04-05-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really drug money?

The police can say that about any money. 80% to 90% of all Bills have somekind of Cocaine residue on them.

I hope the next person learns the lesson..... Get 12K buy drugs... Sell drugs.... Now you have 20K.

Great job Police.
Old 04-05-12, 01:13 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

The police might get lucky and get a 2-fer.

"I know the smell of marijuana," Nickolas Fronning, a line cook at the Fryn' Pan, said in an affidavit.
Old 04-05-12, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having less kids would have probably been the better choice to not struggle in life.
Old 04-05-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 231 Likes on 186 Posts

Another ridiculous example of civil forfeiture where property is considered guilty until proven innocent (which rarely happens). Now that police force can go out and buy some new ridiculous toy that won't make their community any safer.

I hope she learns her lesson - Doing the "right thing" is never the right thing.
Yep. Take a lesson from the police here.
Old 04-05-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 549 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Another ridiculous example of civil forfeiture where property is considered guilty until proven innocent (which rarely happens). Now that police force can go out and buy some new ridiculous toy that won't make their community any safer.
i agree that this is a ridiculous situation. however, police generally use this money to upgrade equipment (vests, weapons, etc.) not spend it on ridiculous toys.
Old 04-05-12, 01:49 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
i agree that this is a ridiculous situation. however, police generally use this money to upgrade equipment (vests, weapons, etc.) not spend it on ridiculous toys.
According to this week's Justified it just goes in a safe somewhere.
Old 04-05-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 468 Likes on 225 Posts

Moorhead, Minnesota's finest. Then police wonder why people don't "do the right thing." Why should they, when the police are worse thieves than the drug dealers?
Old 04-05-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Moorhead, Minnesota's finest. Then police wonder why people don't "do the right thing." Why should they, when the police are worse thieves than the drug dealers?
At least dealers give you something in return.
Old 04-05-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm starting to feel like I'm from Florida.
Old 04-05-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even if drug money, i don't think the cops should be allowed to keep it. That is just asking for trouble.
Old 04-05-12, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Even if drug money, i don't think the cops should be allowed to keep it. That is just asking for trouble.
The waitress was asking for trouble by calling the cops. Snitches lose riches.
Old 04-05-12, 02:39 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by OscarBluth View Post
Snitches lose riches.
Is that before or after they get the stitches? It's important to follow proper protocol.
Old 04-05-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Yep. It's astounding how much this type of literal highway robbery by law enforcement goes on all over the US and gets no mainstream coverage by our 'free and open' press.

Remember that guy in the midwest who let a friend test drive a truck he was going to sell to him, and then his friend got busted for something in the truck? The police stole the truck, knowing full well who owned it and had legal title, and then showed up in court saying the burden of proof was own the legal owner of the vehicle to prove that the truck could not possibly be used in future crimes.
Old 04-05-12, 02:58 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Tell that to my city's police force. Popuplation 75,000 and they have 3 hilocopters, 2 armored cars, and a SWAT force of 15 men. "Gotta spend every penny of that budget boys or else we can't ask for more next year."

Regarding "drug money"--I've been told that virtually every bill in circulation has trace amounts of drugs on it.
Old 04-05-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
Is that before or after they get the stitches? It's important to follow proper protocol.
But remember, they end up in ditches.
Old 04-05-12, 03:06 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
But remember, they end up in ditches.
Sweet... I'm learning.

Snitches get stitches, lose their riches, and end up in ditches. Got it.

Old 04-05-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
Sweet... I'm learning.

Snitches get stitches, lose their riches, and end up in ditches. Got it.

Right, bitches.
Old 04-05-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 549 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Tell that to my city's police force. Popuplation 75,000 and they have 3 hilocopters, 2 armored cars, and a SWAT force of 15 men. "Gotta spend every penny of that budget boys or else we can't ask for more next year."

Regarding "drug money"--I've been told that virtually every bill in circulation has trace amounts of drugs on it.
and this was paid for by confiscated drug money? you may suspect, but you don't know. just like i don't know they didn't. however, having been involved in these types of things, several of the local jurisdictions around me use it to fund equipment upgrades, not buy things that you'd love to use in grand theft auto 4.
Old 04-05-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She could have used that money to buy her restaurant an 'i' for their name.
Old 04-05-12, 03:19 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

and this was paid for by confiscated drug money?
Of course not. I never suggested that. I fucking WISH it was paid for by drug money. I PAY FOR IT. Everybody in my city pays for it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.