DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Unarmed teen gets shot by overzealous neighborhood watch (Florida!)UPDATE: Z Arrested (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/600014-unarmed-teen-gets-shot-overzealous-neighborhood-watch-florida-update-z-arrested.html)

PopcornTreeCt 03-20-12 07:42 PM

Unarmed teen gets shot by overzealous neighborhood watch (Florida!)UPDATE: Z Arrested

Seriously, you guys are slacking. This is the Florida story that has caught the attention of national media.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news...nford-shooting

911 calls released in Sanford shooting

SANFORD, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - Sanford Police have released the 911 calls placed on the night of a fatal shooting which took the life of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

Martin's parents arrived at Sanford City Hall to listen to the recordings which police had previously refused to release. Officials first allowed the family to hear the recordings before making them public. Martin's parents previously sued to have the recordings released. A hearing for the case had been scheduled for Monday.

The first recording is a non-emergency call placed by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who said he shot Martin in an act of self-defense. His call was placed moments before the shooting. The subsequent seven calls were placed during and after the shooting.

Martin's parents were too devastated to talk to us after listening to the recordings, but their attorneys say the calls prove that there's enough evidence to make an arrest.

"What you hear on that tape is shocking," it is riveting. You hear this cries for help," said attorneys Ben Crump.

"The most shocking thing to me is you hear a shot, a warning shot. Then you hear a 17-year-old boy begging for his life, and then you hear another shot," said attorney. Natalie Jackson.

Crump said these 911 calls prove that this wasn't self defense by neighborhood watch capt George Zimmerman.

"You don't hear interaction between Trayvon and Mr. Zimmerman as the police suggested," said Crump.

Jackson added, "The police department decided to replace justice with a pr strategy to make themselves look better this is an insult to this family. This was not self defense, this was not manslaughter this was murder."

Sanford Mayor Jeff Triplett is calling for an independent review by the Department of Justice. "Just review where we stand and what we've done. Make sure everything has been reviewed properly have a third set of eyes on it."

Police Chief Bill Lee didn't want to comment on the release of the recordings on Friday but has said he conducted a fair investigation. Earlier in the week, he said there wasn't enough evidence to arrest Zimmerman.

General Zod 03-20-12 08:25 PM

re: Unarmed teen gets shot by overzealous neighborhood watch (Florida!)UPDATE: Z Arrested

I got sent an email about this talking about how this was a racist shooting etc and when I really looked into it, surprise surprise, it wasn't so one sided. He hasn't been arrested yet due to the Florida "stand your ground" law which is pretty wide open to interpretation and under that law this could be perfectly legal shooting. Personally I think Zimmerman belongs in jail but when you've got a funky law like this on the books who knows..

PopcornTreeCt 03-20-12 09:03 PM

re: Unarmed teen gets shot by overzealous neighborhood watch (Florida!)UPDATE: Z Arrested

It's actually pretty one sided. Kid who never had any kind of record was shot because he was black, it was night time and he was holding a bag of skittles. The law is fucked up but doesn't mean it's not one sided.

draven31 03-20-12 09:13 PM

I did a search for this earlier. Thanks for posting. I think Zimmerman is a racist ass who need to fry. He saw a black child, stalked and picked a fight then shot him. The 911 calls are pretty damning. His own call is probably the worst. The operator told him to stop following and he chose keep following him anyway.

I would be very interested in others opinions.

DVD Polizei 03-20-12 09:25 PM

"The events of February 26 reported in the media are also totally inaccurate. Out of respect for the on-going investigation, I will not discuss specifics. However, the media reports of the events are imaginary at best. At no time did George follow or confront Mr. Martin. When the true details of the event become public, and I hope that will be soon, everyone should be outraged by the treatment of George Zimmerman in the media." - Father

I'm gonna wait and see what comes out about this before I make any assumptions.

Lt Ripley 03-20-12 09:27 PM

Give him the chair.

DVD Polizei 03-20-12 09:30 PM

Actually, the parents will probably be lynched first, along with any friends who knew Zimmerman. :up:

General Zod 03-20-12 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei

Well we know this isn't true because Zimmerman's 911 call disproves it. He even told the dispatcher he was following the guy. In the recording of the call with Trayvon's girlfriend you can hear Zimmerman confronting him. So the father's statement has been disproved.

However some stuff matters and some stuff doesn't. For example if Trayvon had a record or not. Doesn't matter. It's not like Zimmerman was pulling up police records before deciding to shoot. Second is if he was carrying skittles, his cell phone, or even a gun. I think Zimmerman was going to shoot no matter what he was carrying.

What will wind up mattering if they can prove Zimmerman did this because of some racist type reason that can be proven. Otherwise the stand your ground law is likely to save him.

However even with the whole world breathing down the neck of the police department there they STILL haven't arrested him. According to them they have a good reason. We need to find out what this is before everyone jumps to conclusions (even though they will do it anyhow).

draven31 03-20-12 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 11159920)
"The events of February 26 reported in the media are also totally inaccurate. Out of respect for the on-going investigation, I will not discuss specifics. However, the media reports of the events are imaginary at best. At no time did George follow or confront Mr. Martin. When the true details of the event become public, and I hope that will be soon, everyone should be outraged by the treatment of George Zimmerman in the media." - Father

I guess all those 911 call were bogus including the one that zimmerman made himself.. right.

Thanks for posting Zod. you worded it better than me. I think now that the FBI is looking into the matter something will be done.

Marc Brobard 03-20-12 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 11159928)
However some stuff matters and some stuff doesn't. For example if Trayvon had a record or not. Doesn't matter. It's not like Zimmerman was pulling up police records before deciding to shoot. Second is if he was carrying skittles, his cell phone, or even a gun. I think Zimmerman was going to shoot no matter what he was carrying.

While I agree with you, mostly, you shouldn't include a sentence beginning with "I think" in this kind of post. Doesn't really fit.

DVD Polizei 03-20-12 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 11159928)
Well we know this isn't true because Zimmerman's 911 call disproves it. He even told the dispatcher he was following the guy. In the recording of the call with Trayvon's girlfriend you can hear Zimmerman confronting him. So the father's statement has been disproved.

What will wind up mattering if they can prove Zimmerman did this because of some racist type reason that can be proven. Otherwise the stand your ground law is likely to save him.

However even with the whole world breathing down the neck of the police department there they STILL haven't arrested him. According to them they have a good reason. We need to find out what this is before everyone jumps to conclusions (even though they will do it anyhow).

The prosecutor is listening to the 911 tape several times over, to see if their is racial motivation AND justification for the alleged defensive killing.

"Coming towards me..."

"He's coming to check me out...."

"[deleted from audio on YouTube]...always get away..."

(not sure why the deleted audio portion)

Anyone have links to some untainted audio?

Suppose he said a racial slur in the deleted audio section. This doesn't mean he's racist and certainly does not prove he killed somebody just because they were Black.

General Zod 03-20-12 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 11159949)
The prosecutor is listening to the 911 tape several times over, to see if their is racial motivation AND justification for the alleged defensive killing.

"Coming towards me..."

"He's coming to check me out...."

"[deleted from audio on YouTube]...always get away..."

(not sure why the deleted audio portion)

Anyone have links to some untainted audio?

Suppose he said a racial slur in the deleted audio section. This doesn't mean he's racist and certainly does not prove he killed somebody just because they were Black.

Yeah like I said this isn't all crystal clear yet. It's going to be hard to prove.

The audio recording I heard was "They" .. "They always get away". Apparently there were 2 break-ins in the area recently and neighbors said he was a bit obsessed with finding those responsible.

Vibiana 03-20-12 10:07 PM

The recording I listened to included the young man's cries for help and the two shots. It made me sick. Great job, Tackleberry. Fucking assholes.

RIP, Trayvon.

DVD Polizei 03-20-12 10:09 PM

Found a better audio clip:

http://www.wftv.com/videos/news/zimm...xplicit/vGbyc/

Sounds like he's saying "Fucking Punks".

Of course, will somebody say this news agency is a racist news agency and worked their racist magic?

--

Is the use of force reasonable, and the degree of force Zimmerman used, excessive.

Racial issues aside, Zimmerman is going to have a problem. He's familiar with "punks" on the street. More so than a typical person on the street.

Zimmerman, I would think, should be aware of what is imminently dangerous to him, above the normal person. He's involved with the community, so he should have a more sensible (i.e., REASONABLE) way of dealing with the public who appear to be a threat.

So, I'm looking at this from a perspective of whether he had a right to shoot the victim like he did. Looking at Florida's law, I think he has a good chance of being prosecuted and found guilty of something like manslaughter (haven't looked at Florida's Statutes lately).

Zimmerman may have a right to "No Retreat", but I'm asking, did Zimmerman act REASONABLY when confronting the victim.

PopcornTreeCt 03-20-12 10:19 PM

Wftv? Definite racist agency!

Also on the topic of race, I'd appreciate if the media would stop calling Zimmerman "white".

DVD Polizei 03-20-12 10:32 PM

One Shot Fired

Also hearing the family of victim (et al others who are piling on their bandwagon politics) says two shots fired which PROVES Zimmerman's guilt...well...

Only one shell casing at the scene as per police. Several witnesses back-up this claim of only ONE SHOT fired.

---

It really is unfortunate we can't fault a person for bad judgment and/or improper use of a weapon, but are more inclined to accuse him of being a RACIST and getting a neighborhood together for a few good chanting sessions to prove it must be racism, then going home and thinking something good was accomplished for the day.

Psi 03-20-12 10:54 PM

The word edited out is "assholes": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL72w4xiTVU (time 1:37)

I think Zimmerman is at least prejudiced, if not racist. I personally don't like these self-important self-appointed watch dogs.

hippie68 03-20-12 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 11159965)
Found a better audio clip:

http://www.wftv.com/videos/news/zimm...xplicit/vGbyc/

Sounds like he's saying "Fucking Punks".

Of course, will somebody say this news agency is a racist news agency and worked their racist magic?

--

Is the use of force reasonable, and the degree of force Zimmerman used, excessive.

Racial issues aside, Zimmerman is going to have a problem. He's familiar with "punks" on the street. More so than a typical person on the street.

Zimmerman, I would think, should be aware of what is imminently dangerous to him, above the normal person. He's involved with the community, so he should have a more sensible (i.e., REASONABLE) way of dealing with the public who appear to be a threat.

So, I'm looking at this from a perspective of whether he had a right to shoot the victim like he did. Looking at Florida's law, I think he has a good chance of being prosecuted and found guilty of something like manslaughter (haven't looked at Florida's Statutes lately).

Zimmerman may have a right to "No Retreat", but I'm asking, did Zimmerman act REASONABLY when confronting the victim.

I hear him saying "these fucking coons"

PopcornTreeCt 03-20-12 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by hippie68 (Post 11160014)
I hear him saying "these fucking coons"

That's what I hear too.

draven31 03-20-12 11:09 PM

I'm not going to say he is racist because I dont know for sure. My issue with the whole thing is he saw a kid in "HIS" neighborhood and followed. I have no issue with following to see what the unknown kid was doing. But after loosing him , backtracking and finding him again he got out of his car with a gun. He was told by 911 to back off , he did not. He escalated the situation himself. He never should have had a gun. Did he really think pulling a gun was a smart thing to do? Can the "stand your ground" law even count here? He put himself in this situation by getting out of the car to confront Trayvon .

You can hear Trayvon in the background of one of the calls crying for help. Zimmerman is disturbed.

Rockmjd23 03-20-12 11:26 PM

I love how the most important point in the story on the news (and apparently in here) is whether or not the guy is racist :lol: I couldn't possibly care less. He still shot an unarmed kid. Go straight to prison, tough guy.

TomOpus 03-21-12 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by kuroiinu (Post 11160010)
I personally don't like these self-important self-appointed watch dogs.

I think if run properly, these can work in certain neighborhoods to report/deter some crime. At the same time I think there should be a law against neighborhood watch personnel carrying guns. It's not called "watch" for nothing.

NORML54601 03-21-12 12:18 AM

Without considering racism, my first thought was that if the kid was on the guy's property maybe, maybe he was justified. If not, this seems like a pretty clear case of manslaughter.

Abob Teff 03-21-12 12:23 AM

Huh ... I heard some of the tapes on the radio today and thought Zimmerman was a much older guy. I was surprised when I saw his picture. I will agree, he is not white (that does not prevent him from being an ignorant racist).

As effed-up as Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law is, I don't see it as applying. Granted, I am not a lawyer, I did not play one on TV, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. However I don't think you can claim to be "standing your ground" when you are admittedly pursuing the kid even when instructed not to.

After listening to the tapes, at no point does Zimmerman sound afraid or fearful. In fact, he sounds eerily calm.

On the second tape (on the Huffington post site) the caller mentions "two guys with flashlights" in the backyard. When the caller asks if they are police officers, the dispatcher then says she is sending several officers. In a later call the dispatcher confirms the presence of officers when asked. Who was the second guy? It does not seem to have been a police officer.

Everybody knows Skittles and iced tea are the main components in manufacturing meth, marijuana, PCP, and ludes.

draven31 03-21-12 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 11160090)

Everybody knows Skittles and iced tea are the main components in manufacturing meth, marijuana, PCP, and ludes.

Geez I'm doing something wrong then.. i just wanted to do this..
Make Skittles Vodka