Reload this Page >

Cashier Asked Me If I Was Serious About Bagging Items

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 03-05-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to stop off at the store for a few things on the way home from work. I picked up 3 gallon sized waters. The handle on these things are fine if you're carrying one in each hand and no other bags. I live on the 2nd floor of my apartment complex, and my unit is a bit of a walk to the parking lot.

I put the 3 jugs on the counter and after she scanned them she started handing them back to me. I asked her if she'd mind bagging them, then snapped back with "Are you serious?". I told her yes, I didn't feel like making multiple trips to my car.

She put them in the bags then began to lecture me on how nobody else does this because the jugs have "great handles on them".

It kind of pissed me off to have a cashier do that, but figure'd it was a perfect otter thread. How would you have replied?
Old 03-05-12, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cashier Asked Me If I Was Serious About Bagging Items

"You bag your jugs, I want mine bagged too"
Old 03-05-12, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
She put them in the bags then began to lecture me on how nobody else does this because the jugs have "great handles on them".
"Why, yes, they do have great handles on them. Unfortunately, I only have two hands."
Old 03-05-12, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would have politely said something like yeah I know they have handles but I would like them bagged please. Then I would have called her a **** under my breath as I walked away.
Old 03-05-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

First, I must side with my fellow Otters ... you should have bagged her and her jugs ...

Second, I must go against the Otter grain ... I'm with her ... you don't bag gallon jugs (milk or water) or even 2-liters of soda. I hate it when stores bag my gallon of milk or two (or three!) 2-liters.
Old 03-05-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This seems to be the latest thing with most stores today, they're trying to save money by being really stingy with the bags.

Aw shoot, this was my big chance to use to word "niggardly" and I blew it.
Old 03-05-12, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, I wouldn't have bagged them.

I try not to use bags whenever I can. We usually buy 10-30 2liters at a time because my wife is addicted to Diet Sunkist but I pack them in 3 at a time and carry them upstairs to save plastic bags. We bring our own fabric bags (whenever we remember) to try to cut down on plastic bag usage.

I'm not a nut about it but I do think everyone could cut down on bag usage. Bringing your own bags is a big step and fairly easy. If we are out and about and stop by to grab a few things we hardly ever have our own bags but if we plan on going we remember them.

She shouldn't have said anything though.
Old 03-06-12, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

California is huge on not wasting plastic bags. They're gonna start charging for them soon. I don't just throw them out though, I use them as lining for wastebaskets and for when I clean my cat litter box.

If I can bring my own bags, I do. But I didn't have them with me and I didn't think asking for my water to be put in the plastic that is available would've been such a big deal. I just didn't feel like making multiple trips to my car and upstairs. My main gripe was the lecture and making me feel like an idiot for asking. I didn't feel that was appropriate. I've worked customer service jobs, I know people suck, but I was pleasant about it. Oh well.
Old 03-06-12, 12:08 AM
bcd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Second, I must go against the Otter grain ... I'm with her ... you don't bag gallon jugs (milk or water) or even 2-liters of soda. I hate it when stores bag my gallon of milk or two (or three!) 2-liters.

With the amount of times I have seen bags break and people cleaning up crap in the parking lot, I wouldn't trust store bags with a gallon of milk, let alone all my groceries. I bring my own and pack them up myself. I don't want some kid who doesn't give a shit fucking up my groceries because he isn't smart enough to realize that heavy things should go in the bags first.
Old 03-06-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You could have said "I'd love to handle your jugs".
Old 03-06-12, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Can I have another bag to put it over your head?"
Old 03-06-12, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Forget the bags. Why are you buying bottled water?
Old 03-06-12, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

California is huge on not wasting plastic bags. They're gonna start charging for them soon. I don't just throw them out though, I use them as lining for wastebaskets and for when I clean my cat litter box.

If I can bring my own bags, I do. But I didn't have them with me and I didn't think asking for my water to be put in the plastic that is available would've been such a big deal. I just didn't feel like making multiple trips to my car and upstairs. My main gripe was the lecture and making me feel like an idiot for asking. I didn't feel that was appropriate. I've worked customer service jobs, I know people suck, but I was pleasant about it. Oh well.
Yeah, we already pay 5 cents for plastic bags at any grocery store. I don't know if it's all of Canada, or just Ontario. We now buy reusable canvas bags for about $1. Some stores actually give you bonus points (if you use their credit/debit card to pay) when you use reusable bags.
Old 03-06-12, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In New Jersey you have to bag your own groceries. It's fucking insane. Can't pump your own gas but you have to bag your own groceries. I'll take pumping gas over bagging groceries any day of the fucking week.
Old 03-06-12, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WTF? You can't pump your own gas?
Old 03-06-12, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
No self pumping in Jersey. What I hate is waiting a few minutes for them to get to you to do it. And worse-knowing they are done filling you up but still waiting a few more minutes for them to finish their dirty business.
Old 03-06-12, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
In New Jersey you have to bag your own groceries. It's fucking insane. Can't pump your own gas but you have to bag your own groceries. I'll take pumping gas over bagging groceries any day of the fucking week.
Says who? I've never bagged my own groceries in New Jersey.
Old 03-06-12, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser View Post
No self pumping in Jersey. What I hate is waiting a few minutes for them to get to you to do it. And worse-knowing they are done filling you up but still waiting a few more minutes for them to finish their dirty business.
Your sentence grammatical structure logic.

Anyways, I usually prefer to get gas in Jersey if I can help it as they have some of the lowest gas taxes in the US.
Old 03-06-12, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser View Post
No self pumping in Jersey.
*Giggles*
Old 03-06-12, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Oregon is the same way I believe.

In California the charges for bags has already started in some stores.
Old 03-06-12, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How would you have replied?
I would have left them there without paying and would go to another store. then they can put them back using the nice handles
Old 03-06-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 143 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
I would have left them there without paying and would go to another store. then they can put them back using the nice handles
This.

My first job (at age 13) was as a grocery checker. Recalling the little old lady cashier who trained me, I am shuddering to think how she might have reacted to one of "her girls" treating a customer like that.
Old 03-06-12, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If the bottles of water were of this type:

then she was correct in implying that you are a pussy. If you put the handles back to back, you should be able to carry two in one hand. Unless you have girly hands. Now turn in your man card!
Old 03-06-12, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Since this is the internet I'm going to assume it wasn't a lecture but more of an off-the-cuff remark, or was there more to it? Either way, who cares? Just tell her you have girly hands and need the bags.

Our grocery asks if you want the jugs in bags and I'm more like your cashier. Seriously, who the fuck does that? I'll load up 3-5 bags on my fingers and grab two gallons on the same hand. It's really not that complicated.

I rarely by 2 liters but I will bag those since they lack handles.

*edit* - gman beat me to the same insult while I was typing. And yeah, turn in your man card.
Old 03-06-12, 07:52 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

My wife recycles the bags so I don't care about that. We don't buy bottled water unless she needs it for something other than just drinking, we have a Brita pitcher for that. We do buy gallons of milk however and I always ask them to bag it because I don't want the condensation or milk residue on my cloth car seats. I wrap the bag around the handle and carry it like that so I don't need to worry about the gallon of milk busting out of the bottom of the bag.

If anyone ever got that smartassed with me about putting my gallon of milk in a bag I'm afraid I'd have to tell her that maybe a job dealing with the public isn't something she should be doing, then file a complaint with the company she was working for. Bitch should've kept her mouth shut. -kd5-

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.