Reload this Page >

I am never helping anyone move again, ever

Other Talk "Otterville"

I am never helping anyone move again, ever

Old 03-01-12, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: I am never helping anyone move again, ever

I stopped helping friends move years ago. When I move, I save up $$ to pay movers. I refuse to put my friends in that position.
Old 03-01-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vibs, no thanks?

Someone asked me to help her move, I said that's for boyfriends to do. To let me know once she moves and I'll get her a house warming gift. Fuck if I'm going to help you move and not even get offered a glass of water or thanks.
Old 03-01-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
And okay, I don't like pizza or beer. But Panda Express would be nice.
Nothing fuels me up for moving more than a belly full of chinky chow.
Old 03-01-12, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'd think I would have learned this growing up, because a big joke in the Mormon and Mormon splinter churches is that the main qualification of an elder is to own a pickup truck, and a sister is to have a bucket of cleaning supplies and a casserole dish.

For the third weekend in a row, the Sarge and I helped someone move. The first two families were suitably polite and thoughtful. Last weekend was hell and I ended up with a charley horse in the leg for my trouble.

Since I'm never helping anyone move again, I don't need these rules, but for those of you who plan to ask your friends for help, here's a few little hints.

1. Give some notice that you need help. Calling at 9 PM the night before you want everyone there at 8 AM? Not such a good idea.

2. If you want everyone there at 8 AM, then YOU (and the truck) should be there.

3. Don't assume that because someone has a brand new pickup truck, you don't need to hire a UHaul because it's okay to ask them to make 9 round trips at $3.50 a gallon for no gas money offered.

4. I can't be more emphatic here: PACK. YOUR. STUFF. FIRST! We offered to help you MOVE, not help you pack and clean your kitchen and bathroom that you've obviously been growing black plague germs in.

5. You don't have to provide us with pizza or beer. You do need to provide bottled water and a bathroom that doesn't look like wildlife died in the toilet.

6. You should be in the center of the action, not on the sidelines watching other people haul your stuff around. Lincoln freed the slaves about 147 years ago, in case you hadn't heard.

"Help me move" means you have boxes and furniture gathered up, preferably in the vicinity of the door they are to be carried out of, and if it takes more than 2 hours to load the truck, you have too much stuff or you should have hired professionals.

/rant
Looks like you have some shitty friends.
Old 03-01-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RobLutter View Post
Tell your cheap ass friend to get movers. I don't mess with that shit anymore. If you box up your shit yourself and rent a truck (Uhaul is $20 plus) you can get movers who will move all your boxes and furniture from A to B for under $150. Better than the hassle and torturing friends.

Also the last 3 apartments I've had offered a move out clean for $100. Leave the place disgusting as you want... they'll even trash the junk you aren't taking.
Originally Posted by LiquidSky View Post
I stopped helping friends move years ago. When I move, I save up $$ to pay movers. I refuse to put my friends in that position.
Agreed, I stopped helping friends move years ago. I don't expect people to help us move, we will hire movers and pay for it, as Liquidsky mentioned I don't want to put my friends in that position. Likewise we just politely say no when people ask if we can help move. All of my friends are at points in their lives where they can certainly afford to pay for movers, many of them are moving into homes/apartments they just purchased.

You always have that one friend that moves once a year, when you only move once every ten.
Old 03-01-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Boxes at Walmart are also cheap so it's one way to save money.
We just asked them to save the cereal boxes for us when stocking the shelves. I'd come down and pick up a couple shopping cart loads for free.
Old 03-01-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like my sisters. Show up at 5am!!!!
Old 03-01-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll add something I find even worse than not meeting Vib's list of criteria.

Someone who "volunteers" their significant other to help family/friends move or whatever. Nothing good comes of this in the long term. It is absolutely inappropriate behavior and usually breeds resentment. Ask first... always.

If family/friends ask you to help them move/whatever, then accept or decline for yourself alone. If you volunteer, do so for yourself alone. Don't even suggest that your SO "might" be able/willing to help. If family/friends ask if the SO can help, the appropriate response is, "I don't know."

Never, ever, ever, ever "volunteer" the SO for anything.
Old 03-01-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 611 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
We just asked them to save the cereal boxes for us when stocking the shelves. I'd come down and pick up a couple shopping cart loads for free.
Well, that's even cheaper! They sell boxes for $1 for medium or $1.50 each for large. The large were just right for stacking and carrying.They are not the thickest boxes so they're good for moving but might not hold up for storage.
Old 03-01-12, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts

"Help me move" means you have boxes and furniture gathered up, preferably in the vicinity of the door they are to be carried out of, and if it takes more than 2 hours to load the truck, you have too much stuff or you should have hired professionals.

/rant
I concur.

I've walked out of helping people "move" that didn't have their stuff together... and as a good 'ol Mormon boy, that might not be very Christian of me, but I'm there to help, not do it all for you.

That and the moves always seem to be 3rd floor apartments.
Old 03-01-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 611 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 View Post
That and the moves always seem to be 3rd floor apartments.
Ugh. The WORST move I ever did was helping a female friend move into her boyfriend's apt. Not sure who else she asked but it turned out to be pretty much her, her boyfriend and me. Plus, what I also didn't know, was that her place was on the 2nd floor and his place was on the 3rd floor. No elevators. She had some heavy stuff too. As I was carrying her last chair upstairs to the 3rd floor my body was literally shaking. I called into work (I worked at 6pm that night) to say I couldn't come in.
Old 03-02-12, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 190 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like you are friends with the wrong people.

I have 2 rules.

Never help a woman move unless she is having sex with you or is your mom/sister.

Never help a man move more than 1 or 2 heavy items that he couldn't possibly move by himself.

I have a move coming up and a small Japanese wife. So I am buying one of those little squares with wheels and moving everything myself. What kind of dick would try to emotionally blackmale people into doing free work for him? Also yes I could afford movers but I am cheap enough that I would rather just pay myself by not paying others.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 03-02-12 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-02-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
blackmale people into doing free work
6. You should be in the center of the action, not on the sidelines watching other people haul your stuff around. Lincoln freed the slaves about 147 years ago, in case you hadn't heard.
Old 03-02-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 609 Likes on 429 Posts

1. Give some notice that you need help. Calling at 9 PM the night before you want everyone there at 8 AM? Not such a good idea.

4. I can't be more emphatic here: PACK. YOUR. STUFF. FIRST! We offered to help you MOVE, not help you pack and clean your kitchen and bathroom that you've obviously been growing black plague germs in.
Similar to #1 is setting a time, period. I had one friend that needed help. Gave the "I get the key on x day, I'm moving Friday or Saturday." I don't mind helping in the least, but I need a specific day and a specific fucking time. I have two kids and a wife that works nights/sleeps days. I have to make arrangements for the kids. Some half assed, maybe this day-maybe this time is bullshit. You want help, you set a day & time. Never did end up helping.

#4 supersedes all the others, IMO and should be numero uno. If it's not packed it's not moving day. I understand that there will be leftover things that got missed in the packing, or discovered during the move, but if a dresser I'm helping move is still full of shit it's game over. Call me back when you are ready to move.

Dusting things during the move is okay, IMO. Just a once over doesn't bother me.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Last time I helped someone move I was designated the audio/visual guru and was assigned to unplug all the cables and shit to their whole entertainment system. Then after getting to the new place I was assigned to plug all his shit back in! This was in addition to helping load and unload the truck!

Hooking up TVs, cable boxes, DVD players, VCRs, Xboxes, receivers, surround sound speakers, etc. (and getting everything to work correctly) is not a quick or easy task when it's your own shit, nevermind someone else's crap that you're not familiar with. I was supposed to be done helping them move by 4 or 5 that afternoon and I ended up being stuck there until 10 at night.

Never again. There's being a good friend and then there's being shit on for saying yes to helping them.

Oh, and you better damn well give me pizza and soda!
Holy shit, you got screwed! Fuck that. First everything should have been unhooked and boxed ready to go. Second they can hook up their own fucking tv. That shit gets brought in and sat on the floor where it will later be hooked up by the person who owns it.
Old 03-02-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

You'd think I would have learned this growing up, because a big joke in the Mormon and Mormon splinter churches is that the main qualification of an elder is to own a pickup truck, and a sister is to have a bucket of cleaning supplies and a casserole dish.

For the third weekend in a row, the Sarge and I helped someone move. The first two families were suitably polite and thoughtful. Last weekend was hell and I ended up with a charley horse in the leg for my trouble.

Since I'm never helping anyone move again, I don't need these rules, but for those of you who plan to ask your friends for help, here's a few little hints.

2. If you want everyone there at 8 AM, then YOU (and the truck) should be there.

3. Don't assume that because someone has a brand new pickup truck, you don't need to hire a UHaul because it's okay to ask them to make 9 round trips at $3.50 a gallon for no gas money offered.

5. You don't have to provide us with pizza or beer. You do need to provide bottled water and a bathroom that doesn't look like wildlife died in the toilet.

/rant
Bless your heart, I know how you feel. A couple of years ago, a female co-worker asked five of us would we help her and her family move one early Saturday morning. Out of the five that were asked, only me and another guy showed up. Nothing was packed, crap was everywhere. Around 10 am, I saw this was going to be an all day and half the night event. I made up some lame excuse why I had to go.

Nobody bought it but at that point, I didn't care. I ran to my car like my ass was on fire and left. That Monday morning, she gave me the cold shoulder but it didn't bother me one bit. If someone asks you to help them move, the should have their stuff packed and ready to go. To this day, I have never helped anyone move again.
Old 03-02-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just helped someone move. They were still doing laundry in the machines that had to be loaded onto the trailer. I also spent some time scrubbing the fridge before moving it into storage. It was completely full when we arrived in the morning.
Old 03-02-12, 01:10 PM
Banned

What do you say or do when you help someone move and they don't even offer you a glass of water? Yet, you see them BUYING everyone else coffee. This happened to me when I helped a relative move a few years back, after being denied a beverage I dropped a box of their "fine china" and walked out, haven't spoke to them since.
Old 03-02-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

I would be more likely to ask my friends to help me pack rather than help me move. It's a lot less work to sit inside and wrap dishes in newspaper or fill boxes with DVDs while indulging in some alcohol and pizza. I've had friends voluntarily come by to help with the move, but that's probably because I *don't* ask them.
Old 03-02-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
I don't even move my own shit (I get movers) so I would never help anyone move...
Hello...+1 I just tell them that I have a bad back. End of story.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 03-02-12 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-03-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake View Post
Vibs, no thanks?

Someone asked me to help her move, I said that's for boyfriends to do. To let me know once she moves and I'll get her a house warming gift. Fuck if I'm going to help you move and not even get offered a glass of water or thanks.
Even boyfriends/girlfriends only get to use the "help me move" card once.
Old 03-04-12, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And okay, I don't like pizza or beer. But Panda Express would be nice.
If someone offered me Panda Express after helping them move I'd take their shit back to the old house out of spite.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Nothing fuels me up for moving more than a belly full of chinky chow.