DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   'Mr. Kruger' former Seinfeld actor attempts suicide (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/599260-mr-kruger-former-seinfeld-actor-attempts-suicide.html)

89981 02-22-12 11:31 PM

'Mr. Kruger' former Seinfeld actor attempts suicide

Daniel von Bargen, also known as 'Mr. Kruger' from Seinfeld tried to kill himself Monday morning, February 20,1012. After an unsucessful attempt to commit suicide by gunshot to his head, 61 year old von Bargen called 911 asking for help.

"I've shot myself and I need help," von Bargen tells the 911 dispatcher.

TMZ has the released the actual 911 call on their website. The call is over six minutes long and von Bargen tells of what and why he did this.

The operator keeps von Bargen on the phone obviously to make sure he stayed alert and away until the paramedics arrived. von Bargen said he shot himslf in the temple because he was diabetic and supposed to go to the hospital to have a few toes amputated. He explains to the operator he has already had a leg amputated and was just "tired."

The operator continues to get more information from von Bargen for family members information. The last few seconds of the tape police can be heard entering his home and yelling for von Bargen to keep his hands where they can be seen.

Continue reading on Examiner.com 'Mr. Kruger' former Seinfeld actor attempts suicide - New Orleans Pop Culture | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-...#ixzz1nBE9ADnY

Numanoid 02-23-12 12:01 AM

Re: 'Mr. Kruger' former Seinfeld actor attempts suicide

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/images...von-bargen.jpg

That's sad. :(

Quack 02-23-12 12:12 AM

Very sad indeed. :(

"Now George, that mole looks the same as it does 10-years-ago in that photo."

JumpCutz 02-23-12 12:16 AM

"koko's getting upset!" :sad:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UXjIh4GJtu...600/kruger.jpg

Sonic 02-23-12 12:28 AM

Truly sad. :(

wsox2009 02-23-12 12:42 AM

Great in Supertroopers also. Sad indeed.

Anubis2005X 02-23-12 04:30 AM

"Unsucessful?" Ughhh...

Poor Kruger, that's downright depressing...

TheBigDave 02-23-12 04:42 AM

I just watched him in The Postman a couple days ago. He was great in Malcolm In The Middle.

I don't know why they connected him to Seinfeld. I remember him from tons of shows/movies, but Seinfeld isn't one of them.

Anubis2005X 02-23-12 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 11125990)

I don't know why they connected him to Seinfeld. I remember him from tons of shows/movies, but Seinfeld isn't one of them.

They'll get more hits that way...

RocShemp 02-23-12 05:48 AM

I saw the news last night. Really sad.

I mainly remember him from Malcolm In The Middle, despite seeing him in a ton of shows. I honestly didn't remember he was in Seinfeld.

Charlie Goose 02-23-12 06:32 AM

So sad that he's suffering to the point that death is his only relief.

Just saw him last night getting blown away by Gene Hackman in Company Business.

He was also the guy that shot who he thought was Hannibal Lecter chilling on top of the elevator.

Double_Oh_7 02-23-12 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 11125990)

Seinfeld is the only thing I DO remember him from.

Trevor 02-23-12 07:07 AM

Sad news. I liked him in many roles over the years. Hope he gets the help he needs.

Jaymole 02-23-12 07:35 AM

Just watched him in Lord of Illusions...very sad

manicsounds 02-23-12 08:16 AM

How do you miss your own head?!

dvdjunkie32 02-23-12 08:22 AM

I always remembered him as a gruff general type. He was a major character in THe Postman, like the leader of the tribe. Very distinct rich voice. Great character actor.

Troy Stiffler 02-23-12 08:45 AM

Goddamn. Diabetes is a fucked up condition.

RocShemp 02-23-12 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by manicsounds (Post 11126081)

It's rare but such injuries are survivable. Decades ago, there was a case of a mine worker who had a steel rod go through his head. He survived but he did end up with a rather childlike personality. Not so much acting like a little kid but he ended up very impulsive and throwing lots of tantrums, or so I read.

Dr Mabuse 02-23-12 09:03 AM

Wow that's terrible.

What a bummer.

mbs 02-23-12 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by manicsounds (Post 11126081)

He didn't miss his head. Poor choice to shoot through the temple. He said in the 911 call he could not open his eyes, so I would assume the bullet went through the back of his eye sockets and probably did some damage to the orbitofrontal cortex. Clearly one can live from such damage. I would imagine he'll never see again.

Very sad listening to the 911 call.

Dr Mabuse 02-23-12 09:31 AM

I'll not be listening to that 911 call.

As to head wounds and surviving. It's wild stuff and unpredictable. You never go for the temple in a killshot, that's movie stuff. You have a good chance of surviving that kind of wound. Also it's fairly common for people to 'put the pistol in their mouth' and pull the trigger and not die, they blow out an ear or something and live. That too is a movie method.

I guess the most extreme example I know of was a young boy who worked in a store part time. He had some moron store owner knock a cheap Saturday night special off the counter and it when it hit the floor it went off and blew, literally, the child's head off. Around ~80% of the skull and brain were gone. The child lived, but in a wheelchair and all. Remarkably he still had cognitive functions and could speak and hear, but no sight.

TomOpus 02-23-12 09:43 AM

Just saw the Seinfeld episode he was in last week. Really too bad what he's had to go through.

Charlie Goose 02-23-12 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse (Post 11126174)
I'll not be listening to that 911 call.

Yeah, definitely gonna pass on that.

Suicide by gun is tricky. You may not have the right angle, plus the skull is harder than you think. On top of that, who's not going to flinch at the pull of the trigger?

Let the man go. As bad as his life was before, it's much much worse now. I wish him peace.

boogieman03 02-23-12 10:50 AM

:(

This is sad.

Cardsfan111 02-23-12 11:01 AM

I won't take the time to listen to the 911 call. Regarding the posts about this being sad...I'll agree that it's hard to learn of the difficult time he's been having. On the other hand, I'm happy he failed in his attempt. One, for the sake of his family. Also, so he can receive the help he needs to deal with his health issues.