My dad shot my laptop!

Other Talk "Otterville"

My dad shot my laptop!

Old 02-09-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad shot my laptop!

http://mashable.com/2012/02/09/dad-s...ptop-facebook/

The disgruntled teenage daughter of a tech-savvy, gun-toting father just got a very public lesson in respecting one’s elders.

“That right there is your laptop,” the father, named Tommy Jordan, says in a YouTube video while pointing a video camera at a computer on laying in a patch of dirt and grass. “This right here is my .45,” he says, moving a pistol into the frame.

He cocks the weapon and shoots nine exploding hollow-point rounds into the laptop.

Okay, rewind.

Jordan’s 15-year-old daughter apparently wrote a Facebook post complaining about the chores she has to do at home and the overall hassle that her parents make her life. The father took exception to the public airing of grievances, and so decided to exact his own bit of public revenge, according to the video description, as well as Facebook and Reddit posts he appears to have made.

What do you think? awesome? too far?
Old 02-09-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: My dad shot my laptop!

Too far.
Old 02-10-12, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that was hilarious. I also thought this was an mhg83 thread when I first clicked on it.
Old 02-10-12, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a good day ya'll.
Old 02-10-12, 12:57 AM
Banned

Maybe a bit too far but granted...the kid was a bitch so the action was appropriate.
Old 02-10-12, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He expressed himself far better on his Facebook page. He was pretty nervous and the video kinda made him sound like a goof.

If my kid ever puts stuff like that up and acts like hot shit I'd probably shoot his laptop as well. Hell....I might even make him hold it and dodge the bullets coming his way.
Old 02-10-12, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 815 Likes on 597 Posts

That was really... creepy.

And that guy's going to end up in a really shitty nursing home when he gets old.
Old 02-10-12, 02:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
That was really... creepy.

And that guy's going to end up in a really shitty nursing home when he gets old.
how was that creepy?
Old 02-10-12, 03:36 AM

Honestly, as amusing as I found this, anyone who gets angry enough to shoot things out of spite to solve their problems probably isn't a very reasonable parent. Like how he found the concept of paying a kid for chores completely unbelievable. I got an allowance for chores growing up until I was old enough to work (about 12). Most kids I know did. Of course the kid was a bitch about it but the concept itself is not some terrible insult as he seemed to think.
Old 02-10-12, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Dead View Post
Honestly, as amusing as I found this, anyone who gets angry enough to shoot things out of spite to solve their problems probably isn't a very reasonable parent. Like how he found the concept of paying a kid for chores completely unbelievable. I got an allowance for chores growing up until I was old enough to work (about 12). Most kids I know did. Of course the kid was a bitch about it but the concept itself is not some terrible insult as he seemed to think.
My parents were like this guy. They didn't pay us for doing chores. We did chores because we were part of the family that shared the house we lived in. They brought in the money and provided the bulk of the household maintenance; we did stuff like washing the dishes, cleaning the bathrooms, etc. By the time we were in junior high we also did our own laundry. All five of us did receive an allowance, and if we wanted to make extra money we could do chores for other families in the neighborhood. My brothers mowed a lot of lawns and I did a lot of babysitting.

This video didn't showcase him in the best light, but I've got no quarrel with what he did. Hannah sounds like a little **** in training. I'm glad to see at least ONE parent who won't tolerate their kid living at home till she's 30, too. If Hannah thinks right now is tougher than living in that first grimy little apartment, making ends meet on a an entry-level salary, she's sure got a wakeup call coming.
Old 02-10-12, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

No problem with what he did.
I don't use guns so I might have run it over with a truck or hit it with a giant wrench.

Have a good day y'all
Old 02-10-12, 06:20 AM

I found the video to be hilarious.
However does he really expect to have a teenage daughter obey and respect him at his command? I agree there should be almost no compromise with a child, you are their superior, however love is the key, and giving it will mean receiving it (in the long run).
The one thing I would have really got pissed about is the "cleaning lady" aspect. If I were to ever have my child speak of or treat somebody as less than themselves I would be infuriated. I would have let my daughter do all those tasks to earn the laptop back, and have that woman have paid time off at my daughter's expense.
Old 02-10-12, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was with him until he mentioned the $130 he spent on software and that he also purchased new hardware for the laptop. I get he's pissed but sell the laptop. Don't shoot it.
Old 02-10-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
exploding hollow-point rounds

My only problem with this.
Old 02-10-12, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 366 Likes on 237 Posts

An IT guy who spends $130 on software? I call shenanigans!

Otherwise I thought it was great Maybe a little over the top but I think he really wanted to make sure he got his point across and I think he accomplished that.
Old 02-10-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I was with him until he mentioned the $130 he spent on software and that he also purchased new hardware for the laptop. I get he's pissed but sell the laptop. Don't shoot it.
This. Donate it to a poor family that can put it to good use.
Old 02-10-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's great. I made my son watch this with me because we have had to deal with some of the same issues, and he calls my taking away his devices for weeks at a time excessive punishment. At least I don't use a gun on them. Also, I don't pay my children for chores. As Vibiana stated, it's called being a productive member of a household. Allowances should be kept separate from chores.

And the guy points out on his Facebook page that the daughter is over it already, and they have even been joking about the whole thing. https://www.facebook.com/tommyjordaniii
Old 02-10-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At least he didn't beat her for 7 minutes while the mom helped. Not sure if she's retarded or not.
Old 02-10-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kinda lame. More parenting less shooting.
Old 02-10-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get it. If he shot her laptop, how's she supposed to watch the YouTube video?
Old 02-10-12, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 366 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I don't get it. If he shot her laptop, how's she supposed to watch the YouTube video?
I'm sure there is no shortage of her friends that were wanting to show it to her.
Old 02-10-12, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty funny. Only issues I have with it are:

1. Nobody pays for software, especially IT people
2. Hollow point bullets don't explode, they mushroom and collapse
3. He isn't very good with a weapon, he didn't count his rounds, had no idea how many he fired/were left.
4. Too bad it wasn't a Mac.
Old 02-10-12, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 360 Likes on 265 Posts

So, he got her laptop all upgraded with hardware and software and set up "for school." Now how is she supposed to do school work? Go to a friend's house, probably.

And I was a little concerned that he used poor judgement shooting a gun in a residential area so close to a fairly busy road. If he couldn't wait to go to a range or out in the country, he seems a little trigger-happy. Good thing the family dog wasn't acting up (cue kvrdave's avatar).
Old 02-10-12, 09:29 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 200 Likes on 117 Posts

From his FB page:

Attention Media Outlets:
While we appreciate the interest you're all putting forth to get in touch with us regarding the video, we're not going to go on your talk show, not going to call in to your radio show, and not going to be in your TV mini-series.

Some of you think I made an acceptable parenting decision and others think I didn't. However, I can't think of any way myself or my daughter can respond to a media outlet that won't be twisted out of context. The Dallas news TV news already showed that in their brief 5 minute interview with the psychologist.

Additionally, there's absolutely NO way I'm going to send my child the message that it's OK to gain from something like this. It would send her a message that it's OK to profit at the expense of someone else's embarrassment or misfortune and that's now how I was raised, nor how she has been raised.

So I say thank you from all of us. If we have anything to say, we'll say it here on Facebook, and we'll say it publicly, but we won't say it to a microphone or a camera. There are too many other REAL issues out there that could use this attention you're giving us. My daughter isn't hurt, emotionally scarred, or otherwise damaged, but that kind of publicity has never seemed to be to have a positive effect on any child or family.

If you're a news outlet that wants to ask us a question, feel free to so via email. I'm sure by now my email address is easy enough to find. It might take me awhile to get to a response because I'd have to sort through the "Die you bastard" emails to find it, but we will respond if its something that we feel merits it. Otherwise, sorry... no interviews, no talk shows, no call-ins.

If we respond to anything, it will be on here, and it will be in a way that our words can't be misconstrued or edited for appeal to specific audience or shock value.

Now, I'm going to try to get to work for the day.
Best of luck to all of you out there... and PLEASE give my phone a break.
I like this guy.
Old 02-10-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
From his FB page:

I like this guy.
Me too. Great response.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.