Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Kooky things you thought or misconceptions you had, as a child, that proved wrong...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Kooky things you thought or misconceptions you had, as a child, that proved wrong...

Old 02-09-12, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought my sister and I invented the word “boost” While pushing each other on our Big Wheels, we would yell “give me a boost,” and, for some reason, my brain thought that we created that phrase.

In middle school, I knew what masturbation was, but I didn’t know there was a word for it. I also had a Social Studies/Gym teacher who was named Master Bates, so when I first heard one of my friends use the word masturbate, I thought he was making fun of the teacher’s name. My friend asked, “Do you masturbate?” and I heard, “Do you have Master Bates?” I was laughed at for a long while when I replied, “I did in gym last year, but only in Social Studies this year.”

Also, despite growing up in a rural Southern town, I never realized that the N-word was a derogatory term until I was in middle school. I actually had a German Shepherd with that name, and that is the only use I knew of for that word. I was very confused when I switched schools and realized that so many people hated my dog.

What are some of yours?
Old 02-09-12, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Kooky things you thought or misconceptions you had, as a child, that proved wrong

I was very little and saw a picture of the Beatles frolicking on the beach. So, I put 2 and 2 together and figured they were also The Beach Boys.
Old 02-09-12, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Kooky things you thought or misconceptions you had, as a child, that proved wrong

I thought eyeballs were really cold. Like ice cold. I have absolutely no idea why I thought that, but I remember telling my mother.

I also remember thinking that everyone sat on really tall stools in high school.
Old 02-09-12, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

As a very young child, I thought that Abraham Lincoln and George Washington lived at the same period in history. Somehow I got the idea that Washington was the President while Lincoln was the mayor of D.C. at the same time. The South obviously stood no chance against the two greatest American leaders working together.
Old 02-09-12, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believed in God.....and heaven and HELL!!
Old 02-09-12, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought New Kids on the Block were black until I saw their "Please Don't Go Girl" video.

Old 02-09-12, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I thought an "illegitimate" was synonymous with with "retarded" -- so when, on soap operas or other tv programs they would make references to someone having an illegitimate child, I thought they meant the kid was retarded.

I don't know how I came to that conclusion, though I suspect I might have asked my grandmother what it meant and she told me that because she didn't want to tell me the truth.

At any rate, I never gave it much thought, and it's not a term that comes up often, so I was like fifteen before I found out what it really meant.
Old 02-09-12, 01:47 AM
Banned

Sammy Terry was a local Indiana television host during the 70s and 80s. He scared the hell out of me. Every time the intro would come on, my brother would drag me towards the tv and I would kick and scream because I thought Sammy Terry would get me through the tv.

This is the intro:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FwCIHqW3QSo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-09-12, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used to think the roads made cars speed up.
Old 02-09-12, 02:18 AM

Black people ejaculate black.
Old 02-09-12, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was really young I used to think that if I broke the glass on the TV I could crawl through and be wherever the football game I was watching was.
Old 02-09-12, 03:10 AM
Suspended

I thought oral sex was just talking about sex.
Old 02-09-12, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought people who had similar sounding first names were related. I distinctly remember thinking Chubby Checker and Chevy Chase were therefore related. Oh yeah, I also thought Chubby and Chevy sounded alike.
Old 02-09-12, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Test of the emergency broadcast system"

I used to think that was a test to make contact with aliens.
Old 02-09-12, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I must have had a dream when I was 8 or 9 that I watched an episode of the 80's GI Joe cartoon where they capture and unmask Cobra Commander, and he turns out to be Duke's brother. At some point it became a false memory because for as long as I can remember I thought this was a real episode. When GI Joe started getting released on DVD in the early 2000's, I made a post on a Joe Collector's forum asking which episode that was since I couldn't seem to find a description of it anywhere. I was laughed at and told it didn't exist. Not until I bought the complete series and watched them all a few years back did I really accept it though. I have a detailed memory of watching that episode after school with some friends, but apparently it never happened. To this day I still occasionally wonder if maybe it was something that aired once and then never again.
Old 02-09-12, 03:52 AM
Suspended

Growing up in Chicago there were a lot of sitcoms that I use to watch Roseanne, Perfect Strangers, Family Matters. I remember asking my Dad if I could be friends with DJ Connor and what part of the city he lived. I also remember there being an episode of Perfect Strangers where there was a big snow storm and I got excited because I thought we were gonna have a snow day.
Old 02-09-12, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I Grew up in the 60s. Vietnam was going on. There was a slew of WWII movies and some WWII tv shows at the time. I thought there was just one long war that had always been going on and everybody went to fight in it when you grew up.
Old 02-09-12, 06:39 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

someone told me that when you are born, your parents decide what sex you will be, and if they wanted a girl, the doctor would push your penis inside your body.

I believed this until my 3rd year of medical school.
Old 02-09-12, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was in kindergarten, the teacher saw some kid eating her snot and told the whole class that we could die from doing it. He showed us one of those diagrams of the body and called the lungs the booger tree, where boogers went if you ate them and if it filled up, you died. Didn't believe that for too long, but at least for a while.

In 2nd grade, a classmate told me that AIDs was what you got from rubbing your penis on a monkey and that stuck around for a bit.

My sister had to get fillings when she was young and to distract her from the shot, the dentist told her he was painting tiny butterflies on her back teeth, but for some reason he had to pinch her cheek while he did this. I thought she had little paintings in her mouth for years.

I was a young reader and would see Indianapolis on all our mail and thought it said Indiana Police. So I thought my family was in big trouble with the police for some reason, but was always scared to say anything about it.

One of the neighborhood kids I hung out with was Chinese and he told us that Chinese women's pubic hair was like razor wire and only Chinese men could have sex with them without cutting their penis off. I don't think I ever fully believed that, but I remember it being a big point of debate among our group in middle school.

When I was really little, I was a late talker and the docs thought I might have developmental problems. They had my dad make tape recordings of us talking for them to track my progress, so once a week or whatever, we'd sit down with a little tape deck and mic and he'd record us having conversations. For years, I thought that everyone did that and it was just like a non-picture version of home movies.
Old 02-09-12, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought every TV had its own shows, so when my parents bought a new TV, I was so excited as I thought I was going to have all new shows to watch.
Old 02-09-12, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought calling a girl a whore was just calling her a horror. Got in some big trouble for calling my sister that.
Old 02-09-12, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I thought Watergate was a fish ranch.

I thought the Manson Family was a rock group. like Sly and the Family Stone.

I thought Sonny and Cher were really still in love, and they were the parents of a daughter, not a son.

I thought my oldest brother, who was married at 18 in a "hippie" wedding in a house with strings of beads instead of doors at every interior doorway, was soooooooo groooooooooovy. (He's on his third marriage now ... )

I thought I looked good in my favorite outfit, which consisted of purple corduroy bell bottoms and a lavender short-sleeved sweatshirt with "REPENT!" written on it in big white letters. This scares me now.
Old 02-09-12, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Mentioned previously:  Because older photos are in black and white I thought that the past happened to be in black and white too.

Apparently there was a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon about this item.

Old 02-09-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

When I was little I asked my mom what the middle finger meant, and she told me it meant "go to hell" That stuck for a long time.
Old 02-09-12, 08:27 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
In 2nd grade, a classmate told me that AIDs was what you got from rubbing your penis on a monkey and that stuck around for a bit.
Well thank god that one isn't true. Am I right, fellas?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.