Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Fun stuff to do, good eats, etc. in Cincinnati?

Old 01-31-12, 09:52 PM

Re: Fun stuff to do, good eats, etc. in Cincinnati?

One more, best steakhouse in the city. You should go.

http://www.jeffruby.com/precinct.php
Old 01-31-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lots more great ideas and thanks for the castle info. Not meaning White Castle.

Never tried Gold Star or Camp Washington chili but do have a Skyline nearby.

Still need to figure out this Jungle Jim that was mentioned.

I wil check out those links too.

The Graeter's item that I really like is the coconut chocolate chunk ice cream or whatever it's called.
Old 02-01-12, 12:11 AM
Premium Member

Jungle Jim's isn't that appealing since they moved and sold off a lot of their scenery to Trader's World (if you like flea markets, look that up - it's huge). It's really just a big international grocery store now.

If you go up to Trader's World (a little north of IKEA), you can see where the big butter Jesus that burned down was and see the start (just some structural pieces now) of the new one.

And stop up and say hi to me. Air Force Museum in Dayton is a good recommendation if you like that kinda thing, it is a pretty cool place as kenbuzz mentioned.
Old 02-01-12, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
K Mart
400 Oak Street

Now I'm really wishing I would have stopped there to buy some boxer shorts when I was in Cincinnati a couple of years ago.
Old 02-01-12, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mwb View Post

Now i'm really wishing i would have stopped there to buy some boxer shorts when i was in cincinnati a couple of years ago.
what difference does it make where you buy underwear? What difference does it make? Underwear is underwear! It is underwear wherever you buy it! In cincinnati or wherever!
Old 02-01-12, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Go across the river to the Hoffbrau House (sp?) Awesome watering hole.
Old 02-01-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyway...

If you're looking for a fun neighborhood, check out Northside, about five miles north of downtown where I-75 and I-74 split. Almost everything of note is along Hamilton Avenue, including Shake It Records, The Comet (with over 200 bottled beers), and Northside Tavern. There are a couple of sushi options as well; I am not particularly impressed with KoSho, but I have heard good things about The Painted Fish. Melt (and sister market Picnic and Pantry), Honey, and Take The Cake are also great options for food.

(By the way, I live in Northside, so if you'll be in the area in the evening, the beer's on me.)

Northside borders Clifton, which is where the university is. There are several good (and cheap!) restaurants there, including the Adriatico's Pizza that Jtheo mentions (which is carry-out only scratch that...just drove past their new digs with seating). There are some interesting shops (and one of our only remaining "indie" movie theatres) along Ludlow (which is what Hamilton Avenue turns into after leaving Northside), and there is some interesting architecture going up the Ludlow hill into Clifton, but we usually just go up there to eat.

I second the recommendation of Findlay Market (although not for goetta), ideally on a late Saturday morning. Several new shops have opened there over the past few years, including Market Wines (a four glass tasting is $5 on Saturdays and Sundays from 11-3), a gelato shop that is always excellent, a Belgian waffle place that is also always excellent, and a Vietnamese place that does a very good bahn mi. Taste of Belgium also has a separate restaurant in Over-The-Rhine (downtown) on Race Street, about a block from another good watering hole called The Lackman. Nada is still the best restaurant downtown in my book, though.

Hofbrauhaus (really, all of Newport on the Levee, just across the river) is a complete tourist trap, but The Party Source just past it in Bellevue is a good place to grab some Kentucky-priced alcohol (the Bourbon Barrel Ale you mentioned in another thread is at least $2 less per 4-pack there).

Jungle Jim's is worth a visit as long as you'll be on the northern side of the city (it's in Fairfield), especially for the beer selection, but there isn't much else in the vicinity. As kenbuzz says, IKEA wouldn't be too far from there. I am told we have one now.

Last edited by printerati; 02-03-12 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-01-12, 11:42 AM

Unless you grew up in the Cincinnati area, you'll find Cinci chili repulsive (hint, I didn't grow up here). If you must try it, go to one of the local joints (Camp Washington, Price Hill, Blue Ash, Pleasant Ridge, etc. P-Ridge has amazing gravy cheese fries) instead of Skyline or Gold Star. If you go to Graeters, get one of the ice creams with chocolate chips, preferably Black Raspberry Choc Chip. The chocolate is soft and the chunks are massive, and that makes it some of the best ice cream I've ever had. Hofbrauhaus has mediocre beer, is insanely crowded/noisy, and is chock full of cigarette smoke, so unless that's something you enjoy, avoid.

As far as restaurants go, Nada is excellent (try their lunch specials!), as is Jean Robert's Table. Table is traditional French food from Cinci's darling French chef, and the prices are extremely reasonable for the quality of food served. You'll need a reservation. I agree with the recommendation of Zips for the best burgers in the city.

For sushi, try Mei in Montgomery. It's my Japanese grandmother-in-law's favorite sushi restaurant.
Old 02-01-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KirstenS View Post
As far as restaurants go, Nada is excellent (try their lunch specials!), as is Jean Robert's Table. Table is traditional French food from Cinci's darling French chef, and the prices are extremely reasonable for the quality of food served. You'll need a reservation. I agree with the recommendation of Zips for the best burgers in the city.
You know, I started to type something about Jean-Robert's Table in my post, but decided against it. I have been a few times, and while I wouldn't say I was underwhelmed, I definitely wasn't blown away...and it's definitely not priced to blow you away, either. One can do better for the price, in my opinion.

I also prefer Terry's Turf Club to Zip's for burgers, but the wait is always ridiculous, and it isn't exactly convenient to...well, anything. I do agree about Mei, though, and The Korea House a bit further north on Montgomery Road has some very good sushi and Korean dishes as well.
Old 02-01-12, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
You know, I started to type something about Jean-Robert's Table in my post, but decided against it. I have been a few times, and while I wouldn't say I was underwhelmed, I definitely wasn't blown away...and it's definitely not priced to blow you away, either. One can do better for the price, in my opinion.

I also prefer Terry's Turf Club to Zip's for burgers, but the wait is always ridiculous, and it isn't exactly convenient to...well, anything. I do agree about Mei, though, and The Korea House a bit further north on Montgomery Road has some very good sushi and Korean dishes as well.
Have any suggestions for better food for the price in Cinci? I'm always willing to try new places. My husband and I can get a couple pre-dinner drinks, a bottle of wine, split an app, get an entree each and split a dessert for less than $150 with tip at Table. We've found that you really have to make a reservation for an early time to get the best food. The specials are generally amazing, but they tend to sell out by 6-6:30. We also really enjoy Brown Dog Cafe for similar cuisine, but the cost is almost double.

I haven't made it to Terry's yet. Every time I've tried to go the wait was an hour+, so we said forget it.

Other places I've heard good things about but haven't tried yet are The Senate for fancy junk food, and A Tavola for pizza.
Old 02-01-12, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have any suggestions for better food for the price in Cinci? I'm always willing to try new places.
As I said earlier, Nada remains my favorite downtown, although it is a decidedly different type of dining experience. I also prefer Local 127 and Daveed's at 934 (although I don't frequent either), and even Honey when they don't get too experimental (I once had a disastrous eggplant dish there). I loved Tink's, but we haven't been to La Poste yet. I am hesitant to list Boca because you would be more than pushing it to keep it under $150 with tip for everything you listed.

A friend who lives in OTR raves about both Senate and A Tavola (along with Mayberry), but we haven't been to any of them yet, either.
Old 02-01-12, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The food at Nada is excellent and as a bonus the waiters are hipper than I thought possible. Love the guy w/the big stache.

There's some good tips on here and I'm afraid I won't have enough time to scratch the surface (so to speak).
Old 02-01-12, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Meant to say I had lunch at Skyline Chili today so I'm fueled up for the trip.
Old 02-02-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hofbrauhaus has mediocre beer, is insanely crowded/noisy, and is chock full of cigarette smoke, so unless that's something you enjoy, avoid.
That's because smoking is obligatory in KY. By state law, if you move there you get 2 cartons of sigs when you sign your lease, or 5 when you go to closing, depending on whether you're renting or buying. They also hand out free cigs to everyone at the welcome centers on the interstates - kiddies included.
Old 02-02-12, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 02-02-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am glad Ohio made smoking a no no in public spaces so I will pass on the smoke. If my kids were with me I would stop for the free cigs though. I love a bargain!
Old 02-02-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
What he said.
Old 02-04-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for all the tips.

Arrived just before Midnight and finally getting out of the hotel room in Sharonville.

If anyone wants to try and stalk me it looks like we may be hitting IKEA, then Jungle Jim's, then Shake It Records, and then not sure and having sushi at Mei.

It's raining so no castle or other outdoor stuff scheduled.

In the AM will probably be up late, then lunch-gotta figure that out, then heading down to PhotoPro deal in Covington, KY and staying their to also do same Monday until dinner probably at Nada and heading home.

Get your stalk on!
Old 02-04-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser View Post
it looks like we may be hitting IKEA
YES!!! Bring a camera!
Old 02-04-12, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the AM will probably be up late, then lunch-gotta figure that out, then heading down to PhotoPro deal in Covington, KY
I would still recommend Findlay Market for lunch, if you're at all interested in it, since the majority of the shops are covered or indoors. It would also put you about 5 minutes from Covington.

The Vietnamese place (Pho Lang Thang) and the wine store have an "agreement" where you can either buy a bottle of wine and drink it with lunch at the Vietnamese place, or get lunch "to go" and bring it to the wine shop to pair it with the four glass tasting. (The wine shop also has four beers on tap.) There are several other lunch options as well...gyros, hot dogs and hamburgers, deli sandwiches, pizza, and a sushi counter I'm not quite sure about...and coffee/dessert at Dojo Gelato, Taste of Belgium, or one of the bakeries (I prefer Skirtz & Johnston).

Alternately, if you're inclined to head back into Northside, Honey and Take The Cake each do an excellent Sunday brunch. Honey's starts at 11:00, and I highly recommend starting off with the Binkle Fries.

And I offered free beer, so you should be stalking me.
Old 02-07-12, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We hit Honey for brunch and it was excellent. I said we should order the Binkle fries and then forget. DOH.

The neighborhood had some cool graffiti and murals. Sadly there wasn't enough time for the cd store.

Then I had to head to Covington. What's the blue building w/the funky shape? Condos?

I would have loved free beer but it seemed that the person I was with was not so inclined. There's only so much Pusser to go around.
Old 02-13-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We hit Honey for brunch and it was excellent. I said we should order the Binkle fries and then forget. DOH.

The neighborhood had some cool graffiti and murals. Sadly there wasn't enough time for the cd store.

Then I had to head to Covington. What's the blue building w/the funky shape? Condos?

I would have loved free beer but it seemed that the person I was with was not so inclined. There's only so much Pusser to go around.
I apologize for the late reply, but I have been in the hospital for the past week due to viral meningitis and dehydration. I should have gone for beers without you, it seems. Well, the offer still stands for the next time you're in town. You really need to set aside an hour or two for Shake It, possibly more if you spend a lot of time at listening stations. I am glad to hear you enjoyed Honey, though.

And, yes, The Ascent is a luxury condo building. We printed the invitations for the open house some years back and got a couple of free ones as a result, but I completely forgot about it the night of.
Old 02-13-12, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would love about five hours at Shake It is my guess. Used to hit record/cd stores in all my travels but there aren't as many good ones these days.

Spent Sunday night at the Marriott f/a Super Bowl party w/friends and then all day there for a workshop. That night some of us hit Nada before I headed back home.

They stayed another night and said they went to a great grilled cheese place downtown called Tom and Chee or something like that. He had a glazed donut w/grilled cheese. Heard of this place?
Old 02-13-12, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

They stayed another night and said they went to a great grilled cheese place downtown called Tom and Chee or something like that. He had a glazed donut w/grilled cheese. Heard of this place?
I've been to the one Court street, they have some odd grilled cheese sandwiches. Pretty decent for a cheap place.

http://www.tomandchee.com/