Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

When did people find out they were gluten intolerant and what made it so popular?

Other Talk "Otterville"

When did people find out they were gluten intolerant and what made it so popular?

Old 01-25-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend that is always going on about having issues with gluten. I realize this is a real thing and I see the marketing push to say things are gluten free.

But how and when did this become so prevalent? I remember hearing about it only in the last few years.

Anyway?
Old 01-25-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 333 Likes on 245 Posts
Re: When did people find out they were gluten intolerant and what made it so popular?

I can't back it up with facts but I bet when Oprah went gluten-free in 2008, so did a lot of other people.
Old 01-25-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: When did people find out they were gluten intolerant and what made it so popular?

I think people were just tired of feeling like shit all the time.
Old 01-25-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Celiac disease has been around forever and gluten-free foods are the best way to manage it. "Gluten-intolerance" has been around since health food fanatics found out they could make money off of another diet craze.
Old 01-25-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know for sure but I'm just guessing. Maybe a lot of people had certain symptoms and nobody could figure out a cause. Then all of a sudden some scientist/doctor dude discovered that a gluten intolerance was causing all these mysterious symptoms. A few years of testing and boom you have a new disorder.
Old 01-26-12, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's like all food allergies where maybe 5% of the people who think they have it actually do have it.
Old 01-26-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Like restless leg syndrome, another fake disease for bored soccer moms to chew the fat about.
Old 01-26-12, 08:35 AM

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Yeah, they didn't have "Gluten Free" products when I was a kid and I don't remember people dying in the streets.

Remember the "Low Carb" craze from a few years ago? This too shall pass.
Old 01-26-12, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1976. Confirmed by a small intestine biopsy, which is the gold standard for diagnosing Celiac disease.

Back them food options were VERY limited. I don't mind the current fad because it has brought a lot of products on the market. Restaurants are also more knowledgeable.
Old 01-26-12, 08:49 AM

People don't suddenly die in the street from Celiac disease. They live for years with chronic diarrhea, cramps, malnutrition, and generally feeling like shit. Over the course of decades they may develop other diseases due to the stress on their bodies. Untreated, people with CD have a 1 in 7 chance of developing intestinal cancer.

So it is a slow process where the immediate symptoms are not life threatening, but in the long term, can kill you.

The theory is that since wheat is a relatively recent addition to our diets not everyone can tolerate it. Like milk, some people are able to digest it and some aren't. Certain countries have higher rates due to genetic factors. Italy tests all children while they are still in grade school because so many have the disease (not the biopsy, but a simpler test).
Old 01-26-12, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
They live for years with chronic diarrhea, cramps, malnutrition, and generally feeling like shit.
When I was a kid, that was just called "being alive".

Suck it up, you pussies!
Old 01-26-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 386 Likes on 186 Posts

*cough, cough* fibromyalgia *cough, cough*
Old 01-26-12, 09:27 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 126 Likes on 81 Posts

don't EVEN get me started.
Old 01-26-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
*cough, cough* fibromyalgia *cough, cough*
Although I've met people who have that, I have a hard time taking it seriously. Especially the whiney way they describe it.
Old 01-26-12, 09:33 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

fibromyalgia is a diagnosis by exclusion. which means, when all labs and tests show there is absolutely nothing wrong, people still insist on being labelled with something so they can feel better about themselves. the fact that one of the most successful treatments for fibromyalgia is actually crazy-meds, should tell you something.
Old 01-26-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've dealt with a lot of people who claim to have it. Haven't you, TallGuyMe?
Old 01-26-12, 09:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

enough.
Old 01-26-12, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 386 Likes on 186 Posts

I like the comedienne who has a shtick about fibromyalgia being a disease of "women who've decided that working a full-time job just doesn't appeal to them."

EDITED TO ADD: TallGuyMe, you should visit the blog of "The Angry Pharmacist," who calls this disease "fatsomyalgia" and has posted several fairly hilarious rants about it. www.theangrypharmacist.com

Last edited by Vibiana; 01-26-12 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-26-12, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I've heard that for the FDA to approve a drug it has to treat a specific medical condition recognized by the AMA.
First comes a drug, then the specific medical condition. I don't remember ever hearing of ED until Viagia was created.
Old 01-26-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started suspecting I had a problem with it after having my gall bladder removed a few years ago. In reading about gall bladder issues, I read some theory linking them to gluten intolerance & celiac disease. Since I hate going to doctors & the worst symptom I had was the constant diarrhea thing (aside from the gall bladder problem which was now gone) I've never been tested. I tried just cutting it out to see if I could tell a difference, but I found it too hard to do. 4 months ago I moved to China & almost immediately found that my problem had dissipated. I still haven't completely cut out gluten, but it's just not as common here so I guess I don't eat it very much.
Old 01-26-12, 09:55 AM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I think the biggest problem that was caused by all those stupid drug company commercials is making people think real, serious diseases are stupid, fake, and made-up.
Old 01-26-12, 09:55 AM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
I don't remember ever hearing of ED until Viagia was created.
Really? You don't remember DECADES of jokes about impotence? How old are you?
Old 01-26-12, 10:11 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

I work at Panera Bread. I can't tell you how many people a day ask for gluten free items. It's called Panera "Bread" people!!
Old 01-26-12, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a lot of people have a gluten "sensitivity" and are over reacting to it (obviously excluding those with Celiac disease from my comment)

For example, those that are just 'sensitive' could eat one slice of pizza and be fine, but if they eat an entire large it gives them them diarrhea + cramps and they feel like shit. They just assume because they can't eat an entire large pizza and be fine that they are allergic to gluten.

Too much of anything can have a negative effect...

If they feel better about avoiding gluten 100% let them. Personally I think most gluten free foods (that really should have gluten like pizza, bread, etc) all taste like shit

As with many other things, doctors 50 years ago didn't really know how to diagnose certain problems and many problems just went untreated/undiagnosed and people lived with it. Today we have a pill and a treatment for just about anything.
Old 01-26-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
1976. Confirmed by a small intestine biopsy, which is the gold standard for diagnosing Celiac disease.

Back them food options were VERY limited. I don't mind the current fad because it has brought a lot of products on the market. Restaurants are also more knowledgeable.
Yeah Lord knows we need more "products on the market". I go into my local 3 acre Whole Foods Store and there's just hardly any products out there catering to people who think eating vastly overpriced macrobiotic or gluten free or organic products is somehow going to make them feel like they felt in high school.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.