Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old fashioned Shavers unite!

Old 01-23-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old fashioned Shavers unite!

That is, if you use a brush and lather a cream or a soap, and use a safety razor that involves a razor blade or an injector, or a straight razor.

I switched to this method nearly three years ago and love it. People who started shaving in the 70's, do you still use these? Does anybody's Dad? Let's talk!
Old 01-23-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Old fashioned Shavers unite!

I singe mine off with white hot coals. Does that count?
Old 01-23-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You are in...by the skin of your teeth!
Old 01-23-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My dad still does. He's 85. Let's make him the mascot.
Old 01-23-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I use soap in a mug and a brush, but I use modern razors.

DE "safety" razors weren't really safe; you were just less likely to bleed to death from your wounds than with a straight razor. I switched when Gillette Trac II came out and never looked back. I currently use Gillette Custom Plus disposables. I have tried the 3 to n-bladed razors and not seen an advantage.
Old 01-23-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had mine plucked out, hair by hair, by a naked Filipina...

Oh. You mean FACIAL hair.

nevermind.
Old 01-23-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You were right the first time.
Old 01-23-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know I was.

I had to pay extra.
Old 01-23-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I shave both my head and face with a German made safety razor and I use Alum blocks(the original after shave). I'm also using a good quality badger hair brush to lather up.

These guys are pricey but i like them. www.theartofshaving.com
Old 01-23-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been looking to start shaving using a straight razor. Any recommendations and advice?
Old 01-23-12, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have a very large supply of gauze ready.
Old 01-23-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
That is, if you use a brush and lather a cream or a soap, and use a safety razor that involves a razor blade or an injector, or a straight razor.
Been doing it for about 2 years now.

This is what I use :

Parker 22R safety razor
Shark or Feather blades
Tweezerman badger brush
Col. Conk glycerine shaving soap

Old 01-23-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
I've been looking to start shaving using a straight razor. Any recommendations and advice?
Yeah, I would say that it is not nearly as hard as it is portrayed. It is like regular shaving, but with a much longer blade, it's no Sweeney Todd or anything. The Brush/Cream stuff is all the same, but you just have to learn how to strop. I don't know how to hone so my current straight razor is out of commission, but....yeah Lynn Abrams has a great DVD over at Straightrazorpalace.com. He has a DVD over there with the basics and everything you need to get started.

inri:

Feather blades are the ultimate, I used to use them, want to get back into them, but yeah they're awesome. I had a Parker Butterfly, and I LOVE Mr. Taylor's cream.
Old 01-23-12, 11:07 PM

electric because I just don't care.

I prefer the 'liceless bum' look.
Old 01-23-12, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used an old safety razor from the 70s for a year or so a few years back. Geoff was really promoting his, so I thought that I'd try it out. The old guy at the pharmacy was impressed that I was buying double-edge razor blades.

But when the plastic collar on the razor disintegrated I threw the razor away and returned to my SensorExcel. The lightweight razor really is a lot easier to use. And it shaves just as well.
Old 01-24-12, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use a safety razor mainly because I prefer paying $0.10/blade rather than $3 for a Gillette cartridge.
Old 01-24-12, 08:34 AM

I was talking to the guy that works at The Art of Shaving store and he said that safety razors are making a big comeback because the blades are so much cheaper. I think I am going to switch to a safty razor soon.
Old 01-24-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've posted this here before, but if you want a custom straight this is one of the the most renown guys for that kind of blade:

Old 01-24-12, 12:43 PM

I use a Merkur classic, and blades that i bought in bulk on ebay. my face is smoother than a baby's ass, which i was never able to achieve with an electric or a Gillette triple blade. i am working my way up to using a DE on my head, still use a regular stop and shop knock off of Gillette for that.

for me using a safety razor is the experience. it is like a mini spa visit every other day. I like the ritual of it, and it gives me time to not think about the crap my day will hold. i lather three different times and go three different directions. final rinse cycle use warm then ice cold water (and pretend i am a Navy SeAL undergoing drown proofing).

i end using either aqua velva for every day after shave, lilac vegital (and pretend i am Al Swearengen) for days where i have more fun stuff going on, Clubman for social outings, and will try some sort of Bay Rum if i ever feel like dating again.

i use ugly mug shaving soap, forget the scents off hand. one for everyday, like soulless ginger lime, and cool water or something for special days.

if i had to run out in morning i couldn't do this, as takes too long. But again, for me it is an experience, so i don't mind gettin up earlier to devote some time to myself and improve my mood.

someone used to say safety razor shaving was akin to driving stick versus automatic.
Old 01-24-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got a shave a few years ago in a high end barber shop with a straight razor. Was terrified the entire time the guy was going to slit my throat. No joke.
Old 01-24-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madcougar View Post
Got a shave a few years ago in a high end barber shop with a straight razor. Was terrified the entire time the guy was going to slit my throat. No joke.
Naaaah, you just gotta worry if it's in an Italian neighborhood and he puts the hot towel over your face and then goes out to buy a newspaper.
Old 01-28-12, 12:07 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks to this thread, I went and bought a safety razor. I hate how expensive the mach3 razor heads are, especially since I only get a few decent shaves out of one head.

I bought one of these and love it. The shave is comparable, if not in some ways better than disposable head razors. I love how easy it is to clean to get all of the hair and gunk out from the razor. This particular model is made very well, looks gorgeous, although I do wish the handle was a bit longer as I have larger hands. I plan on picking up another brand, perhaps this or a longer handled Merkur, as I'd like to at least have two so I could pass one onto each one of my boys as a possible heirloom when the time comes.
Old 01-28-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by madcougar View Post
Don't sneeze.
Old 01-28-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
thanks to this thread, I went and bought a safety razor. I hate how expensive the mach3 razor heads are, especially since I only get a few decent shaves out of one head.
Yes! Glad you like it man. I would also highly recommend checking out samplers from the three T's, which are the ultimate in shaving creams. They are Trumper's, Truefitt and Hill, and Taylor's. At lest two of the companies have them. I'll try to dig up links for sample packs. T&H gives you little vials of every type of cream, and also their associated colognes, lotions, and other stuff.
Old 01-28-12, 07:20 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Yes! Glad you like it man. I would also highly recommend checking out samplers from the three T's, which are the ultimate in shaving creams. They are Trumper's, Truefitt and Hill, and Taylor's. At lest two of the companies have them. I'll try to dig up links for sample packs. T&H gives you little vials of every type of cream, and also their associated colognes, lotions, and other stuff.
thanks for the headsup!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.