Otter SOPA/PIPA Blackout

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Otter SOPA/PIPA Blackout

Old 01-18-12, 08:49 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: Otter SOPA/PIPA Blackout

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
According to the WP the approval rating for congress is a whopping 13% and idiot voters continue to re-elect mostly the same shmucks over and over. So I think it's reasonable to assume that the want of the voter can safely be ignored - so just go with the lobbyist who's willing to donate a fat check and take you to dinner 5 nights a week.
Gerrymandering. My current Congressman will never get voted out of office as long as he chooses to run. He's an empty suit.
Old 01-18-12, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
You are obviously missing the point. Here's how it goes:

"President" Obama declares Martial Law and commences the incarceration of political militants and right wing intellectuals in the well publicized FEMA camps. Of course, the general population will not be aware exactly what is taking place since Obama would have used the privileges in this bill (and the NDAA in the case of the FEMA camps) to terminate Google, Twitter, Facebook and any other mass communication resource. During this period of blackout, "President" Obama will impose the tenets of Sharia Law after declaring himself and his bloodline the true and single leaders of the United States of Islam. In Mo We Trust.
Yeah, the attorney general would never abuse power granted to them. And the president would never do anything so wrong as to indefinitely hold prisoners without charging them with crimes either. Not this one or the last one.
Old 01-18-12, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

How quaint. Aren't we beyond such trivialities in this day and age?
Send a generated e-mail or write a letter to your representative -- which one do you think will prompt a genuine response that your message was received and noted?
Old 01-18-12, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Send a generated e-mail or write a letter to your representative -- which one do you think will prompt a genuine response that your message was received and noted?
Neither?
Old 01-18-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Yeah, the attorney general would never abuse power granted to them. And the president would never do anything so wrong as to indefinitely hold prisoners without charging them with crimes either. Not this one or the last one.
Yep. I've been actually preparing for my next life as a FEMA camp guard. Someones gotta keep you bastards in line.
Old 01-18-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I'm just commenting on the cultural aspect of it. No one sends hand written letters any more so why should members of Congress expect them? It's quaint.
Old 01-18-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wikipedia is working just fine for me (as long as my only search is SOPA)

And Google's logo today seems appropriate.

Last edited by Bronkster; 01-18-12 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-18-12, 09:37 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
Neither?
Most likely.

For me it comes down to quantity, not quality. If enough people start writing, they will get the hint. They have statisticians who measure this kind of crap.
Old 01-18-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The mobile site still works fwiw...

http://en.mobile.wikipedia.org

I'm glad Wikipedia did that though, and even Google with the black bar. A ton more people know about this now than yesterday.
Old 01-18-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. I've been actually preparing for my next life as a FEMA camp guard. Someones gotta keep you bastards in line.
I signed up months ago. Come February 2013 we'll see who the woman is...
Old 01-18-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I wonder if we'll see the Great SOPA Blackout Baby Boom nine months from now?
Old 01-18-12, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
They want to be able to say they're against the bill, but they don't want to lose any advertising revenue.
Agreed. I think the more effective approach is what wikipedia did. Blocking access to the site, but only allowing searches for SOPA, and giving redirecting you on how to contact your local member of congress.
Old 01-18-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Torrent sites should've shut down. That would've gotten the pirating gov't a pause or two.
Old 01-18-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Duran View Post
Please explain under what provision the Attorney General can unilaterally decide to "vanish" DVDTalk with no recourse.

SOPA struck me as a bit heavy handed and vaguely worded, but the histrionics over this bill contain such exaggerations as to damage the cause. Does anyone really believe the government is going to try to shut down Google, Twitter, or Wikipedia through this bill? That's absurd. The bill does, however, carry with it a cost of compliance. That is what those companies are upset about, not the realistic prospect that they might be shut down. I personally don't think the cost of compliance yields a corresponding amount of benefits, and when combined with the vague wording, that makes the bill a bad idea.
Can it with the rationalism. This is all about the government completely taking control over our lives!
Old 01-18-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's pathetic, isn't it? just like those well-to-do middle class protesters at occupy wall street. They want to be able to say they're against the bill, but they don't want to lose any advertising revenue. I don't know why they would want to, anyway. Just because this bill might be perverted for censorship doesn't necessarily mean that it will.

We're living in the information age, but it's not like you just can't go to the library or look something up in a phone book. People got around just fine before the internet was around, and they'll do just fine afterwards. In fact, our quality of life has increased dramatically in the past century, and the internet had very little to do with it. Crying just because you can't look up something on wikipedia is a small price to pay.

This bill is an important step in protecting copyrights. When did a poor, struggling musician or an independent game developer ever give you a job? never, that's when, but people like Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg and videogame companies like EA, they're the job creators, the ones who have really created wealth in this country. Entertainment is, after all, one of our biggest exports, a multi-billion dollar industry. If you shoot down this bill, you're shooting down their protection and killing the incentive for them to create jobs and wealth for this country.
I like how you post this on a forum that in all likelihood could get shut down if the bill passes. You make so many silly claims I have no idea where to start. You talk about all the jobs in the entertainment industry that might be lost from piracy, yet fail to consider the fact that websites also employ people.

Please explain where you get the idea that the existence of the internet didn't help improve the "quality of life" that has increased dramatically in the past century. The the sheer ability for researchers to communicate with each other and the existence of online science journals that couldn't afford to operate as a "print only" version is staggering.

We now have the ability to communicate freely with people around the world, please explain how going to the library is a viable alternative to that ability.
Old 01-18-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please. If they were going to suppress our freedom, they would have already done so in the name of security and protection against terrorists. And we all know that was a joke.
umm...NDAA
Old 01-18-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
umm...NDAA
The President promised he'd never use NDAA as it stands right now though so we're fine.
Old 01-18-12, 01:03 PM

I'm totally confused - what's this all about? (speak real slow and shout it at me)
Old 01-18-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Wikipedia works fine today if you turn off Javascript. I always use the "NoScript" Firefox plug-in, and when out of curiosity I tried checking out Wiki today, I was momentarily confused when I had no problem at all browsing their site.
Old 01-18-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Torrent sites should've shut down. That would've gotten the pirating gov't a pause or two.
I know of one torrent site that did shut down for the day ... which seems to be missing the point of why SOPA is bad.
Old 01-18-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Duran View Post
Please explain under what provision the Attorney General can unilaterally decide to "vanish" DVDTalk with no recourse.

SOPA struck me as a bit heavy handed and vaguely worded, but the histrionics over this bill contain such exaggerations as to damage the cause. Does anyone really believe the government is going to try to shut down Google, Twitter, or Wikipedia through this bill? That's absurd. The bill does, however, carry with it a cost of compliance. That is what those companies are upset about, not the realistic prospect that they might be shut down. I personally don't think the cost of compliance yields a corresponding amount of benefits, and when combined with the vague wording, that makes the bill a bad idea.
Easy. Check out our Batman or Avengers thread and find all of the instances where people have posted leaked trailers or trailers caught on cell phones. If Fox studios decided that DVDTalk was a source where people posted copy protected video like those, it could get blocked. Unless DVDTalk had the budget to afford copy editors to screen all posts, they'd have to shut down that service because Fox Studios could also petition to shut us down on the grounds that no system was in place to thwart people from posting videos.

I visit a dozen entertainment sites daily that'd get shut down (Aintitcool, Toplessrobot, bleedingcool) because they post copy protected items. Now, those sites could easily police themselves, but they'd have to kill off any reader response systems.

And it isn't the "government" that would like to shut the internet freedom down, people are not suggesting that. It is the big corporations that would love to shut things like these sites down. When a studio does not want to screen a movie for critics before it opens it is because they know they have a costly POS on their hands. They do not want to get the word-of-mouth going until after the first round of people go see it. When a entrainment blog or entertainment site posts a leaked review that it was crappy they get a letter from that studio's attorney to kill the story. If they don't, they have now made an enemy in that studio. Now all that studio needs to do is wait for someone to post a copy protected bit of information (like an embedded trailer) and they can shut down the site in revenge. All of these studios want to control what information goes out to the public, and now they'd have the tools to do so.

Studios and artists have a right to protect and profit from their intellectual property, but this is not the way.
Old 01-18-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
I like how you post this on a forum that in all likelihood could get shut down if the bill passes. You make so many silly claims I have no idea where to start. You talk about all the jobs in the entertainment industry that might be lost from piracy, yet fail to consider the fact that websites also employ people.

Please explain where you get the idea that the existence of the internet didn't help improve the "quality of life" that has increased dramatically in the past century. The the sheer ability for researchers to communicate with each other and the existence of online science journals that couldn't afford to operate as a "print only" version is staggering.

We now have the ability to communicate freely with people around the world, please explain how going to the library is a viable alternative to that ability.

Okay, I know that cat thread really riled you up something fierce, but c'mon.
Old 01-18-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I know of one torrent site that did shut down for the day ... which seems to be missing the point of why SOPA is bad.
i love having a demonoid account.
Old 01-18-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In case for some reason this hasn't been posted

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/31100268?byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

PROTECT IP / SOPA Breaks The Internet from Fight for the Future on Vimeo.

Old 01-18-12, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.