Reload this Page >

Otter SOPA/PIPA Blackout

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Otter SOPA/PIPA Blackout

Old 01-17-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Otter SOPA/PIPA Blackout

I was considering turning off my monitor at midnight.
Old 01-17-12, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strafe View Post
If these bills pass we're seriously done here.
How is DVDTalk done if the bills pass? I don't give a rat's ass about politics and barely pay attention to any of it, but from what little I know these bills are only anti-pirate website. DVDTalk doesn't host any pirated material.
Old 01-17-12, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't think that DVDtalk would be directly affected either considering the aim is towards sites that host pirated material. However, the problem is that the bill gives the govt the power to block access to websites without going through the courts and having to prove they are hosting pirated music and movies. So lets say they want to block access to a site they don't like, just block it and say it was because someone was posting pirated movies.
Old 01-17-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
How is DVDTalk done if the bills pass? I don't give a rat's ass about politics and barely pay attention to any of it, but from what little I know these bills are only anti-pirate website. DVDTalk doesn't host any pirated material.
http://gizmodo.com/5877000/what-is-sopa

If the Attorney General decides that some part of DVDTalk would be supporting copyright infringement in the US, it would vanish.
Old 01-17-12, 10:16 PM
X
Administrator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good thing that (other than having a recent contest for DVD copying software) we don't support copyright infringement.
Old 01-17-12, 10:21 PM

http://boingboing.net/2012/01/14/boi...ark-on-ja.html
Boing Boing could never co-exist with a SOPA world: we could not ever link to another website unless we were sure that no links to anything that infringes copyright appeared on that site. So in order to link to a URL on LiveJournal or WordPress or Twitter or Blogspot, we'd have to first confirm that no one had ever made an infringing link, anywhere on that site. Making one link would require checking millions (even tens of millions) of pages, just to be sure that we weren't in some way impinging on the ability of five Hollywood studios, four multinational record labels, and six global publishers to maximize their profits.

If we failed to take this precaution, our finances could be frozen, our ad broker forced to pull ads from our site, and depending on which version of the bill goes to the vote, our domains confiscated, and, because our server is in Canada, our IP address would be added to a US-wide blacklist that every ISP in the country would be required to censor.
Big Content haven't just declared war on Boing Boing and Reddit and the rest of the "fun" Internet: they've declared war on every person who uses the net to publicize police brutality, every oppressed person in the Arab Spring who used the net to organize protests and publicize the blood spilled by their oppressors, every abused kid who used the net to reveal her father as a brutalizer of children, every gay kid who used the net to discover that life is worth living despite the torment she's experiencing, every grassroots political campaigner who uses the net to make her community a better place -- as well as the scientists who collaborate online, the rescue workers who coordinate online, the makers who trade tips online, the people with rare diseases who support each other online, and the independent creators who use the Internet to earn their livings.
Old 01-17-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wikipedia is already down. The one website I visit every day without fail for something. Damn.
Old 01-17-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Figures. I have a "snow day" from work tomorrow and the Internet is dead. I may have to go outside now or talk to my wife.
Old 01-17-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post

If you want your representative to actually read your message then write your letter and mail it to them.
That was true before 9/11. After the anthrax scare, etc., mine have told me to email instead because a letter can take weeks to get to them.
Old 01-17-12, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some sites are blasting a black screen with an anti-SOPA message, but then have a small "click here to continue" link to get to the actual site. Cheaters!
Old 01-17-12, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think people understand the severity of the bill. Facebook, Google, and Twitter could be shut down by it.
Old 01-17-12, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
Wikipedia is already down. The one website I visit every day without fail for something. Damn.
grundle must be freaking out
Old 01-18-12, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
grundle must be freaking out
Yeah, that was pretty much my first reaction too
Old 01-18-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

According to the WP the approval rating for congress is a whopping 13% and idiot voters continue to re-elect mostly the same shmucks over and over. So I think it's reasonable to assume that the want of the voter can safely be ignored - so just go with the lobbyist who's willing to donate a fat check and take you to dinner 5 nights a week.
Old 01-18-12, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yay, if I stop the page loading fast enough I can get Wikipedia articles to stay up before it redirects to the blackout page.
Old 01-18-12, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
Yay, if I stop the page loading fast enough I can get Wikipedia articles to stay up before it redirects to the blackout page.
Or you could just view the cached pages and bypass the blackout.
Old 01-18-12, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh all these morons on the internet! they're shutting down websites as if it's going to do any measurable damage to this bill! what's next, a drum circle? damn dirty stinking hippie garbage, why not get a real job instead of just complaining about how all the free shit on the internet might go away?
Old 01-18-12, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Some sites are blasting a black screen with an anti-SOPA message, but then have a small "click here to continue" link to get to the actual site. Cheaters!
It's pathetic, isn't it? just like those well-to-do middle class protesters at occupy wall street. They want to be able to say they're against the bill, but they don't want to lose any advertising revenue. I don't know why they would want to, anyway. Just because this bill might be perverted for censorship doesn't necessarily mean that it will.

We're living in the information age, but it's not like you just can't go to the library or look something up in a phone book. People got around just fine before the internet was around, and they'll do just fine afterwards. In fact, our quality of life has increased dramatically in the past century, and the internet had very little to do with it. Crying just because you can't look up something on wikipedia is a small price to pay.

This bill is an important step in protecting copyrights. When did a poor, struggling musician or an independent game developer ever give you a job? never, that's when, but people like Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg and videogame companies like EA, they're the job creators, the ones who have really created wealth in this country. Entertainment is, after all, one of our biggest exports, a multi-billion dollar industry. If you shoot down this bill, you're shooting down their protection and killing the incentive for them to create jobs and wealth for this country.
Old 01-18-12, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
It's pathetic, isn't it? just like those well-to-do middle class protesters at occupy wall street. They want to be able to say they're against the bill, but they don't want to lose any advertising revenue. I don't know why they would want to, anyway. Just because this bill might be perverted for censorship doesn't necessarily mean that it will.

We're living in the information age, but it's not like you just can't go to the library or look something up in a phone book. People got around just fine before the internet was around, and they'll do just fine afterwards. In fact, our quality of life has increased dramatically in the past century, and the internet had very little to do with it. Crying just because you can't look up something on wikipedia is a small price to pay.

This bill is an important step in protecting copyrights. When did a poor, struggling musician or an independent game developer ever give you a job? never, that's when, but people like Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg and videogame companies like EA, they're the job creators, the ones who have really created wealth in this country. Entertainment is, after all, one of our biggest exports, a multi-billion dollar industry. If you shoot down this bill, you're shooting down their protection and killing the incentive for them to create jobs and wealth for this country.
You think the fucking stupid people running this country really give a shit about copyright infringement? This is really all about another way to control something they currently have no control over and to further suppress our freedom.
Old 01-18-12, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
http://gizmodo.com/5877000/what-is-sopa

If the Attorney General decides that some part of DVDTalk would be supporting copyright infringement in the US, it would vanish.
Please explain under what provision the Attorney General can unilaterally decide to "vanish" DVDTalk with no recourse.

SOPA struck me as a bit heavy handed and vaguely worded, but the histrionics over this bill contain such exaggerations as to damage the cause. Does anyone really believe the government is going to try to shut down Google, Twitter, or Wikipedia through this bill? That's absurd. The bill does, however, carry with it a cost of compliance. That is what those companies are upset about, not the realistic prospect that they might be shut down. I personally don't think the cost of compliance yields a corresponding amount of benefits, and when combined with the vague wording, that makes the bill a bad idea.
Old 01-18-12, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
You think the fucking stupid people running this country really give a shit about copyright infringement? This is really all about another way to control something they currently have no control over and to further suppress our freedom.
Please. If they were going to suppress our freedom, they would have already done so in the name of security and protection against terrorists. And we all know that was a joke.
Old 01-18-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post

If you want your representative to actually read your message then write your letter and mail it to them.
How quaint. Aren't we beyond such trivialities in this day and age?
Old 01-18-12, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I'm sorry, that would require actually doing something, and I'm not really looking to get up off my ass.
Post of the Millennium from one of my favorite posters.
Old 01-18-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Duran View Post
Please explain under what provision the Attorney General can unilaterally decide to "vanish" DVDTalk with no recourse.

SOPA struck me as a bit heavy handed and vaguely worded, but the histrionics over this bill contain such exaggerations as to damage the cause. Does anyone really believe the government is going to try to shut down Google, Twitter, or Wikipedia through this bill? That's absurd. The bill does, however, carry with it a cost of compliance. That is what those companies are upset about, not the realistic prospect that they might be shut down. I personally don't think the cost of compliance yields a corresponding amount of benefits, and when combined with the vague wording, that makes the bill a bad idea.
You are obviously missing the point. Here's how it goes:

"President" Obama declares Martial Law and commences the incarceration of political militants and right wing intellectuals in the well publicized FEMA camps. Of course, the general population will not be aware exactly what is taking place since Obama would have used the privileges in this bill (and the NDAA in the case of the FEMA camps) to terminate Google, Twitter, Facebook and any other mass communication resource. During this period of blackout, "President" Obama will impose the tenets of Sharia Law after declaring himself and his bloodline the true and single leaders of the United States of Islam. In Mo We Trust.
Old 01-18-12, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by X View Post
Good thing that (other than having a recent contest for DVD copying software) we don't support copyright infringement.
Is copying a DVD copyright infringement? I thought it was just violating the DMCA.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.