Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest Loser 2012 Edition - Now with more health and nutrition!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-01-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Continued from the "World Famous" 2011 edition.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...-stronger.html

As last year, I'm sure most talk will be about losing weight. However, this really should be more about better health. That may or may not include weight loss (or gain).

Goals for me?

I never did get below 180. I got down to about 182, but now back up to about 189. I want to get to back and hold 183 (which would put me at -90 overall). Than see. I like the idea of getting to 173 and so I could say lost a 100...but one step at a time.

I want to break 30 minutes in the 5k once and for all. And want to do it in the first quarter. I've already signed up for four races in the first three months of the year and will, without a doubt, break that 30 minute mark in one of those damn races.

I have added some full body lifting and will be adding at least one more. And get refocused on lifting after taking the bulk of December off.

As for eating...wow...overall I feel good about what I eat. Especially with the way I travel. Will have to think about that.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 01-01-12 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 10:41 AM

Re: Biggest Loser 2012 Edition - Now with more health and nutrition!

I'm in this year. Last Feb. I got my dream job which meant working typical 9-5 (or in most cases 7 or 8) which left me with not time to go to the gym afterwards, and my eating got way out of control. Went from 205 to 240lbs

However I just moved into a new place, and signed up for a gym a couple blocks away, so I'll have no reason not to go in the mornings before work. I've done a modified "Atkins" before, and I think I'll do that again. Instead of the crazy low 20g of carbs a day, I shoot for between 80g & 100g (compared to the 300+ I was eating this year).

Starting weight last week was 240.4lbs... This mornings weigh in was 235.2lbs. Would love to get down to 195lbs before June. I'll try and do a weekly update here. Good luck everyone!

Week 01
235.2lbs 33.7BMI

Last edited by Matto1020; 01-01-12 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Holidays killed me. Need to drop 15lbs that I gained by being a lazy ass and eating terribly. Back to eating breakfast, healthy snacking, less starch (rice/pasta) and more greens.
Old 01-01-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a lofty goal of running a marathon in October this year. I'd like to weigh around 160 by then.

Current weight - 195. I put on 5 pounds since I've been on vacation (my gym is at work unfortunately).

Going on a cruise in mid April, and I'd like to have gone through P90X by then. Although I've been running 15 miles a week since September, I'm not sure how to incorporate the two together.

P90X start - Jan 16
Week One - weight: 195
Week Two - weight: 195
Week Three - weight: 193
Week Four - weight: 191
Week Five - weight: 188

Last edited by rabbit77; 02-14-12 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-01-12, 12:41 PM

I'll bite.

Last year I hit the gym twice a week all fall after my daughter was born and now I want to continue that and find a way to increase it, even.

Foodwise, I want to cut down on sodium. That's the magic ingredient for me. The more sodium, the more processed the food and the more processed the food, the more of all the other bad stuff. Calories, fat, carbs, etc. are going to take a back seat as I focus on lowering sodium and thus changing my eating lifestyle.

I'll do my best to post here weekly with my updated weight and BMI status. I'm 5'8" and turn 33 this July.

Week I 01.01.2012 - 330 lbs., BMI 50.2

2012 Goal Numbers - 280 lbs., BMI 42.6 (50 lbs. is something I think I can do this year!)
2012 Goal Numbers - 250 lbs., BMI 38.0 (80 lbs. in a year would be quite a feat for me.)
2012 Goal Numbers - 220 lbs., BMI 33.4 (100 lbs. in a year is likely a big stretch for me.)
2012 Goal Numbers - 200 lbs., BMI 30.4 (120 lbs. in a year just won't happen for me.)

One more thing: talking about my weight is NOT something I do with others and I will trust people in this thread. I am making myself quite vulnerable here and I am nervous. Our forum has a lot of wonderful people in it and it also has a lot of snarky vitriol and outright hate. If this thread remains the former, I'm in. If it turns into the latter, I'm out.
Old 01-01-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matto1020 View Post
I'm in this year. Last Feb. I got my dream job which meant working typical 9-5 (or in most cases 7 or 8) which left me with not time to go to the gym afterwards, and my eating got way out of control. Went from 205 to 240lbs

However I just moved into a new place, and signed up for a gym a couple blocks away, so I'll have no reason not to go in the mornings before work. I've done a modified "Atkins" before, and I think I'll do that again. Instead of the crazy low 20g of carbs a day, I shoot for between 80g & 100g (compared to the 300+ I was eating this year).

Starting weight last week was 240.4lbs... This mornings weigh in was 235.2lbs. Would love to get down to 195lbs before June. I'll try and do a weekly update here. Good luck everyone!
What worked for me was packing my gym bag and taking in the car with me to work. Then going directly from work to gym. If I went home first, to many excuses not to go back out.

I bought a cheap gym bag at walmart along with a lock and just change at the gym. After gym when I went home, first thing I did was repack bag so it was ready for the next day. Again would eliminate excuses.

I also started to throw in a change of cloths and soap and stuff. That way if people wanted to meet for happy hour, I'd say I'd go, but be there in an hour. So at least get a quick workout in before going.

Originally Posted by rabbit77 View Post
I have a lofty goal of running a marathon in October this year. I'd like to weigh around 160 by then.

Current weight - 195. I put on 5 pounds since I've been on vacation (my gym is at work unfortunately).

Going on a cruise in mid April, and I'd like to have gone through P90X by then. Although I've been running 15 miles a week since September, I'm not sure how to incorporate the two together.
Wow...marathon. Awesome! I've been running well over a year, but haven't gotten the bug to do more than 5k. But I really love running in those races. Good luck, keep us posted.

Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post
I'll bite.

Last year I hit the gym twice a week all fall after my daughter was born and now I want to continue that and find a way to increase it, even.

Foodwise, I want to cut down on sodium. That's the magic ingredient for me. The more sodium, the more processed the food and the more processed the food, the more of all the other bad stuff. Calories, fat, carbs, etc. are going to take a back seat as I focus on lowering sodium and thus changing my eating lifestyle.

I'll do my best to post here weekly with my updated weight and BMI status. I'm 5'8" and turn 33 this July.

Week I 01.01.2012 - 330 lbs., BMI 50.2

2012 Goal Numbers - 280 lbs., BMI 42.6 (50 lbs. is something I think I can do this year!)
2012 Goal Numbers - 250 lbs., BMI 38.0 (80 lbs. in a year would be quite a feat for me.)
2012 Goal Numbers - 220 lbs., BMI 33.4 (100 lbs. in a year is likely a big stretch for me.)
2012 Goal Numbers - 200 lbs., BMI 30.4 (120 lbs. in a year just won't happen for me.)

One more thing: talking about my weight is NOT something I do with others and I will trust people in this thread. I am making myself quite vulnerable here and I am nervous. Our forum has a lot of wonderful people in it and it also has a lot of snarky vitriol and outright hate. If this thread remains the former, I'm in. If it turns into the latter, I'm out.
Welcome! And while we have been calling these threads "The Biggest Loser" we are not having a contest or anything like that. Nor do we require anything to keep posting. Soo....share what you feel comfortable sharing. Contribute and share what works (and what doesn't work) with us. Lurk around or contribute daily or anything in between.

And as I sort of mentioned, most come here to talk about losing weight. But we have expanded it to include better eating, better overall heath, workout options, weight lifting and even for some gaining weight (adding muscle).

So again, welcome!!
Old 01-01-12, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
What worked for me was packing my gym bag and taking in the car with me to work. Then going directly from work to gym. If I went home first, to many excuses not to go back out.

I bought a cheap gym bag at walmart along with a lock and just change at the gym. After gym when I went home, first thing I did was repack bag so it was ready for the next day. Again would eliminate excuses.

I also started to throw in a change of cloths and soap and stuff. That way if people wanted to meet for happy hour, I'd say I'd go, but be there in an hour. So at least get a quick workout in before going.
I do something similar. On the days I go to the gym, it's at the beginning of the day so I forgo the usual routine of showering, dressing, etc. and just wear my gym clothes straight to the gym and shower up there after working out. At night, before bed, I pack my gym bag for the next day. Works out really well. Saves me a good 30-45 minutes a day instead of doing the whole shower/dress routine twice in one day.

Welcome! And while we have been calling these threads "The Biggest Loser" we are not having a contest or anything like that. Nor do we require anything to keep posting. Soo....share what you feel comfortable sharing. Contribute and share what works (and what doesn't work) with us. Lurk around or contribute daily or anything in between.

And as I sort of mentioned, most come here to talk about losing weight. But we have expanded it to include better eating, better overall heath, workout options, weight lifting and even for some gaining weight (adding muscle).

So again, welcome!!
Thank you. I've lurked in past threads from time to time and know there's a lot of capacity for support here. I think we all know DVDTalk can get nice and snarky, though, and I don't want that fear to get the better of me. In that regard, I'll start out boldly open and see what happens.
Old 01-01-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I lost forty pounds last year but i think i've put fifteen back on. I would like to shed those plus another twenty.
Old 01-01-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dogmatica View Post

Thank you. I've lurked in past threads from time to time and know there's a lot of capacity for support here. I think we all know DVDTalk can get nice and snarky, though, and I don't want that fear to get the better of me. In that regard, I'll start out boldly open and see what happens.
I've been in these threads three, maybe four years. I can honestly say I don't remember anyone getting really ugly. We have some friendly disagreement on how to achieve goals, but even those share education, knowledge, encourage thinking and encourage self research.

Try us out for a bit. See how it goes. Lately I've really found posting in some form or fashion (here, or on Facebook for example) really helps me. As does tracking my running, eating, etc. I'm fairly analytical, so seeing things in black and white really helps me.
Old 01-01-12, 07:25 PM

I also use SparkPeople quite a bit for tracking food, exercise, etc. Someone else on this forum does, too, but I can't remember who it is. We're friends on SP but I can't remember what his DVDTalk handle is.
Old 01-01-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm in this year...we'll see how it goes.

Life is catching up to me a bit and and I've been getting older I can see myself getting larger.....so to speak.

I'm 43 years old... 6'6" and 270 right now. My top weight was 289 about 2 years ago. I was working a desk job, investigations, lots of typing and such. I took off about 10 pounds and started last year at about 275.

I had a goal of 265 by today but didn't quite hit it.

I don't drink any pop/soda at all. Gave it up cold turkey 2 years ago when I was at 289...vowed never to touch it again. So far so good. I was averaging 4-6 cans a day at my worst.

I also gave up those fake sports drinks with HFCS 1 year ago. Another good choice.

I drink ALOT of water and coffee but don't eat fast food. Haven't been to McDonalds in over a year...or any other fast food restaurant. I will eat a couple eggs, some toast and bacon for breakfast out nowadays, about 2 days a week.

I splurge once in a while and get a pizza, maybe once every 2-3 months. Overall I eat healthy. Fresh veggies in a pork or chicken stir fry. I love my george foreman grill for some small burgers (usually no bread) and some fresh steamed veggies.

I eat very little candy or sugar....haven't had deserts in months. I love fresh fruit and make smoothies on occasion with yogurt and fruit.

My one and only issue at this point that I can see is PORTION SIZE. I have to cut back on the amounts of what I eat.

I also have to get more active. I'll be the first to admit its been rough. I'm movitated in some ways but not in others. I'm determined to make some changes.

So....January 1st, 2012.... 6'6" and 270... We'll see where it goes from here!

Ideally I'd like to be around 240...I'd be very content with that.
Old 01-01-12, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in this year. Like to lose about 50 lbs.
Old 01-01-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Holidays killed me. Need to drop 15lbs that I gained by being a lazy ass and eating terribly. Back to eating breakfast, healthy snacking, less starch (rice/pasta) and more greens.
About the same for me. Diet in Jan/Feb, try and put on a few lbs of muscle March/April and a final cut in May.

Currently 183
Weight isn't the ultimate goal, doesn't matter as long as my bodyfat's where I want it - which should put me in the low 160's.

Last edited by Artman; 01-01-12 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 09:02 PM

I've seen these threads for years and always meant to participate, but always waited and then didn't do it. This year will be different!

I'm 42, weigh about 310 lbs. and I'm 5' 10". Right now I don't really have a plan and I'm not sure how to go about making one. I do have some goals, long term being getting down to 180. Short term be able to lose enough weight to go with my son on his Boy Scout high adventure outing this summer.

I'm going to find a doctor and get a physical, check my cholesterol, etc. That should help me figure out a little more about my diet.

Sean
Old 01-01-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some friends of mine are doing this for $100 each. The winner's going to walk away with about 2k.
Old 01-01-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mookysdad View Post
I've seen these threads for years and always meant to participate, but always waited and then didn't do it. This year will be different!

I'm 42, weigh about 310 lbs. and I'm 5' 10". Right now I don't really have a plan and I'm not sure how to go about making one. I do have some goals, long term being getting down to 180. Short term be able to lose enough weight to go with my son on his Boy Scout high adventure outing this summer.

I'm going to find a doctor and get a physical, check my cholesterol, etc. That should help me figure out a little more about my diet.

Sean
Welcome!!

Smart move to start with the Dr.

I finally decided to start losing when I was about 273. I tried to do to much to soon and failed. So I did a restart and just slowly, very slowly started cutting back. Meaning instead of a large fry, I dropped to a small fry. Instead of 4-5 cokes a day, I cut to 3-4, etc, etc. Yes of course, I didn't lose weight, but I gained more slowly and taught myself I could live with less.

Eventually I would cut out fries all together. Drop real cokes. And started to count calories. Then I started substituting the "double cheese burger" for turkey sandwich with no mayo.

I dropped about 20 lbs before joining a gym and started moving. Again, I went really slow doing low impact (elliptical) and building up time and resistance. Started 3 days a week....later adding weights and going 5-6 days a week.

IMO, make changes slowly. I think it is too hard to go from the way I was eating (cheese burger, large fry, large coke a typical lunch) to tofu (or even grilled chicken and brown rice) over night. Give yourself time to adjust and lose slowly. Least that is what worked for me.
Old 01-01-12, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Some friends of mine are doing this for $100 each. The winner's going to walk away with about 2k.
Wow!

Tho what worries me about that, is drastic unhealthy weight loss and not keeping it off.

Yes, I pat myself on the back for what I've loss. But I'm even happier that I've been able to keep it off.
Old 01-01-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IMO, make changes slowly. I think it is too hard to go from the way I was eating (cheese burger, large fry, large coke a typical lunch) to tofu (or even grilled chicken and brown rice) over night. Give yourself time to adjust and lose slowly. Least that is what worked for me.
I'm asian, so I can wolf down raw, plain tofu like there's no tomorrow. Western diets really aren't friendly to people seeking healthier lifestyles.

I briefly became a vegetarian for health reasons because I thought I was eating too much red meat and bacon, and I never once ate at an American restaurant. The best thing they could offer me was a wimpy salad or a baked potato. But if you go to an Indian, Chinese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, or even Mexican restaurant, there are tons of tasty things that most diners would choose regardless.
Old 01-01-12, 10:54 PM

I didn't see anything about this last year, but October 2010, I started some fairly hardcore dieting. I'm 6'0", I used to be 255lbs. and got down to 192lbs. several years ago using Nutrisystem (which I found to be very easy but costly). I couldn't seem to get below 192lbs. and I stopped buying the Nutrisystem food and eventually gained back up to probably around 220lbs.

In October 2010, I started my own diet where I eat lunch (pretty much whatever I want, but usually a sandwich, pickle, and chips or pretzels or something along those lines from the cafeteria at work) and then around 300 calories for dinner, like yogurt and a granola bar or something like that. That is all I eat Monday through Friday, which I'm guessing is around 900-1,000 calories per day, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. This sounds like not much at all, but it's enough to keep me satisfied throughout the day and I don't believe it's few enough calories to be considered starving myself. Then, on the weekends, I eat whatever I want. Over time, it definitely becomes difficult to eat a lot on the weekends because I'm just not used to eating a ton of food in a day. If I average it out for the week, I'm probably eating 1,300 calories per day or so. I've been able to get down to 165lbs. using this method and I'm pretty pleased with it. I'd like to get to 160lbs. but it's taking awhile. I do also take a multivitamin everyday to make sure I have my vitamins and minerals covered.

This may not be the healthiest diet, but my body is used to it, I feel fine, and it works great for me. My only concern is adding food back into my diet and if that will cause weight gain, but we'll see when the time comes.
Old 01-01-12, 11:46 PM

I will not post my weight because it seems that every year its just keeps going up. I have been exercising daily but I have been having a hard time controlling my eating.

I have started watching the biggest loser show on netflix and it has really motivated me. I know their weight loss is not realistic but its nice seeing that any fat person has the potential to be 'normal' weight.
Old 01-02-12, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Last year around this time I was around the mid 300's, I think the highest I saw 355. Now I'm down to to the low 300's. I had a Doctor appointment a week or so ago and they had me at 316 (clothed with shoes). I weighed myself tonight (nude) and I was around 297

It has a lot to do with my wife who cooks and nags about healthy eating. A spouse can be the best incentive for losing weight. Plus, when I was single I didn't care about how long I lived, but now with a wife one wants to be around....Purpose?

Anyway, I started eating less Fast Food when we started dating. I mean for that's a HUGE DEAL.... I've cut down Fast Food from many years of *almost* daily and *always* Super Sized, to *maybe* a few times a month. In fact, we've been Vegetarian/Vegan now for about 3 or 4 month so that has cut down Fast Food joint visits to pretty much *ZERO* due to the limited Non-meat choices. The only exception is when I'm occasionally indulging in fries, bean burritos, salads, or a Garden Burger type combo(Burger King and some local Burger stands). Keyword..."Occasionally". I still eat out but we do it at "healthier" places. I've also cut out drinking many gallons of Soda both regular and "Diet" every week and meals have generally become smaller and healthier.

I'm also a Type II Diabetic and my A1C went down to the recommended range as my weight went down and that's another huge deal. As the weight loss keeps going I'll eventually be able to get off of my Diabetes prescription.

I'm guessing that this path of weight loss will continue. Since it's not a DIET as much as it's a major change in my eating patterns and since the weight loss is slow, as opposed to fast over a short period as in your typical diet, this weight loss it will most likely stick. I just need to add more exercise into the mix to make it even more of a permanent thing.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-02-12 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-02-12, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

congrats!
Old 01-02-12, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally im in...

30 years young!

5'8, 196lbs... (September i was 232 lbs... been on a diet since)

goal weight 179lbs....

my diet: following the myfitnesspal.com method of dieting which is counting calories....

the problem im having is finding time for exercise... i cant seem to find time with working in the city and commuting... it sucks..

but i will put my progress in here..

1590 calories a day... 1 1/2 lbs of loss a week..
Old 01-02-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Finally im in...

30 years young!

5'8, 196lbs... (September i was 232 lbs... been on a diet since)

goal weight 179lbs....

my diet: following the myfitnesspal.com method of dieting which is counting calories....

the problem im having is finding time for exercise... i cant seem to find time with working in the city and commuting... it sucks..

but i will put my progress in here..

1590 calories a day... 1 1/2 lbs of loss a week..
Can you do a quick 30 minute workout before heading home?

If you can't get in a traditional workout, how about splitting up some brisk walking. Take 2 15 minute breaks during work for brisk walking. Than at home either another walk or even some Wii workout or small weights at home.

30 minutes of walking, plus 20 minutes of simple basic resistance (pushups, planks, maybe some kettle ball work) can add up over time. Say all of that adds up to 200 calories burned a day, that is 1,400 calories a week!

And good job on the weight loss!!
Old 01-02-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow!

Tho what worries me about that, is drastic unhealthy weight loss and not keeping it off.

Yes, I pat myself on the back for what I've loss. But I'm even happier that I've been able to keep it off.
They're doing it over a 6 month span specifically to avoid that.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.