Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest Loser 2012 Edition - Now with more health and nutrition!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2012 Edition - Now with more health and nutrition!

Old 06-09-12, 10:33 AM
Banned

Re: Biggest Loser 2012 Edition - Now with more health and nutrition!

Ok I posted this in my thread but...I guess I'll post it in there too.

As you guys know I work out, but I also don't have a home and also at times live in my car...a lot. Interesting predicament for sure. Thankfully the UNT gym is cheap for me. So I take my showers there mostly..and of course, do my workouts there as well. One thing that I really need to better is what I eat. I don't eat greasy shit often. It's like...maybe 2 times a month but damn it if I'm not attracted to Chicken Express next to campus.

So in my situation: lack of a home, living in a car, and shortage of money...what would be good for my diet yet also accommodating to my interesting situation?
Old 06-09-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

El Pollo Loco skinless breast meal.
Old 06-10-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So your talking eating out on a budget? Well, I would think Subway would be your second home (of course skip the chips, sauces and mayo). The grilled sandwiches at chic-fil-a are good (again skip the fries and coke).
Old 06-10-12, 10:11 AM
Banned

I do eat at Subway everyday. Though the carbs add up from the bread. I usually eat a footlong Sub (on flatbread) and I'm good for the day. I may just have to make them a salad though to not have so much carbs.
Old 06-10-12, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man did I carbo load this week. My son's birthday was Monday so we had some ice cream cake early in the week. Then Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Saturday I was volunteering at the Fireman's Carnival directing traffic and throwing little bastards out for fighting. I ended up eating sandwiches and salads after we worked so I was eating all the wrong food way too late. I'll have to be extra carefull the next couple weeks. Didn't even bother weighing in Friday morning.
Old 06-11-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Aghhh...after getting to 183, I've gained a couple lbs which is damn annoying. I know why tho. And my workouts are better and more focused. So no complaints there.
Old 06-15-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

180.4 this morning, a new low. Thought I was in trouble after the late night eating at the carnival last week and some ice cream cake and a business trip this week. I'll take a 1 lb loss with all that going on.
Old 06-15-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ugh, 178 lbs. - that's the heaviest I've been in 3 years, and that's not from muscle gain. I should lose it when it heats up - the hotter it is the more active I get and the less I eat - it's just that this June-Gloom has been dreadful - it actually kinda rained this morning...
Old 06-15-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I got back to 183, and then got deployed. Which is actually good. Usually I'm at a heavier weight and spent the first few weeks just getting back into a routine of losing. Now I'm at my lowest and now able to really focus!

Bad news is that my home gym is not here. Neither is there a gym available thru my health insurance plan. But a couple of decent local gyms including one within walking distance of hotel. The bad part? Since I only want 3 months they want $40-45 per month....aghhh. But I'll do it. Grand scheme of things more than worth it.
Old 06-15-12, 10:21 PM

Have been hitting the gym like crazy. Bulking up finally after months of struggling to see much muscle gain.

Today's weigh-in: 220 which is awesome since I'm 6' 8". I had been at 193-195. Got to 205 then was stuck but just kept bumping up protein and such like crazy.
Old 06-17-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jtheo View Post
Have been hitting the gym like crazy. Bulking up finally after months of struggling to see much muscle gain.

Today's weigh-in: 220 which is awesome since I'm 6' 8". I had been at 193-195. Got to 205 then was stuck but just kept bumping up protein and such like crazy.
Holy shit dude, you're almost a foot taller than me and at one point I outweighed you. Not good for either one of us. My son has a friend, also over 6' but not nearly as tall as you and he comes in at about 130 - 140. A true beanpole of a kid. Always trying to bulk up.

Was feeling good on my run this morning so i did an extra 3/4 mile for a 7 1/4 total in 72:25. Not terrible for the last day I'm 52.
Old 06-18-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Holy shit dude, you're almost a foot taller than me and at one point I outweighed you. Not good for either one of us. My son has a friend, also over 6' but not nearly as tall as you and he comes in at about 130 - 140. A true beanpole of a kid. Always trying to bulk up.

Was feeling good on my run this morning so i did an extra 3/4 mile for a 7 1/4 total in 72:25. Not terrible for the last day I'm 52.
Thats impressive, I cant run for the life of me.

I hit a new low this weekend at 173 getting close to my goal. Though ive not been eating too well recently. Are there any supplements worth taking? im running low on my fish oil and multi vitamins so its almost time to head back to GNC again.
Old 06-18-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't done any supplements really. For the first month or six weeks, I was taking one of the green tea supplements to help control appetite and cravings. Worked wonders. Once I got out of the habit of the constant snacking I've gone strictly to the diet and excercise.
Old 06-18-12, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
I do eat at Subway everyday. Though the carbs add up from the bread. I usually eat a footlong Sub (on flatbread) and I'm good for the day. I may just have to make them a salad though to not have so much carbs.
Sorry snake, but the flatbread isn't any different from the other breads (maybe a gram or 2 at most). You're better off eating the 6" with double meat...or ripping parts of the bread off and feeling like an idiot (like me!).
Old 06-18-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm down to 216.8 (that's a 45.2 lbs loss). My wife is doing great too. She's down 39.8 lbs and going strong.

Working at it together is a blessing!
Old 06-18-12, 10:38 PM
Suspended

Anyone tried the Chinese Slim Tea? Allegedly reduces cravings.
Old 06-19-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Joined gym locally. In a routine. Bought a scale since I'm pretty sure will be here 90 days. Down to 181.5 and it says 20% body fat. Sure that is not the ultimate in accuracy, but could be pretty close I guess.

Goal is 178 by end of month. Found a 5k race in DC at end of month might have to do. Actually found on this weekend, but not sure what my day off is yet. So might not be able to do it.

And end of month move into more long term housing in the form of a Residence Inn so that means a kitchen and cooking! Woot!
Old 06-27-12, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

61 Easy Ways To Lose Weight

Spoiler:

A few years ago, one of my friends at Men's Health stepped on the scale and was horrified by the result. He'd somehow managed to pack 20 pounds of flab onto his previously skinny frame. When he looked into the mirror, he saw a fat guy staring back. He decided to make a change, quick. 

That day, he gave up his beloved soda. He was only drinking two or three bottles a day, but over the course of six months, he dropped those 20 pounds. It was a small change to his lifestyle -- no big deal, really. And yet, it had a massive impact on his health and his body. (No surprise: Drinking calories is one of the 20 Habits That Make You Fat.)

My point: Making small decisions each day can result in big-time fat loss.

Below are dozens of simple ways to lose weight. Start with one -- today! -- and watch the weight begin to melt away. Trust me, this is going to be easier than you think.

1. Have a clear goal. It should be one that anyone in the world can measure and understand.

2. Drink tea. Research suggests that those who drink tea -- black, green, or white, as long as itís from real tea versus herbal tea -- have lower BMIs and less body fat than those who donít consume tea.

3. Eat cayenne pepper. A study published in the British Journal of Nutrition showed that when compared to placebo, capsaicin -- the active ingredient in cayenne -- increased fat burning.

4. Decrease/eliminate processed carbs. They do nothing for you outside of creating a favorable environment for gaining fat.

5. Eat more veggies. They fill you up, without providing many calories. Just avoid the high-calorie dressings.

6. Eat more fruit. No one ever gained weight from eating more fruit. And that includes the so-called ďhigh sugarĒ fruits like bananas and melons.

7. Lift weights. Heavy weights. Build more muscle, burn more calories.

8. Cut down rest time between sets. This will keep your heart rate elevated causing an increase in calories burned. The good news: You can sky-rocket your heart rate and torch belly-fat fast with The Spartacus Workout for Men and The Spartacus Workout for Women -- the most popular fat-blasting workouts in Menís Health and Womenís Health history.

9. Do intervals. Study after study after study continues to show intervals are more effective and time efficient than longer activity performed at a lower intensity.

10. Eat more protein. Replacing refined carbohydrates with lean protein will not only help satiate you, but will also increase your metabolism -- through something called the thermic effect of food.

11. Eat protein more frequently. Itís important to also time your intake so youíre eating protein regularly throughout the day -- not just in one lump sum, like most do at dinner. Every meal and snack should include some protein.

12. Supplement with fish oil. A study published in Lipids fed mice diets enhanced EPA and DHA -- a.k.a. fish oil. The researchers learned that the mice fed diets higher in omega-3 fats had significantly less accumulation of body fat. Other studies have shown similar results.

13. Do full body exercises. Think: squats, deadlifts, chin-ups, and push-ups. Youíll get more bang for your buck out of each workout. Want even better results? Discover the 100 Greatest Fitness Tips of All Time.

14. Cycle your carb intake based on your activity level. Sure, carbs are important. But on the days you donít work out, you simply donít need as many compared to the days you exercise hard. Rule of thumb: The more active you are, the more carbs you can eat, and vice versa.

15. Start your meals with a salad. Salad will provide some bulk to help fill you up -- so that you eat less calories overall.

16. Donít forget the fiber. Think of fiber like a sponge; it absorbs water and makes you feel full.

17. Drink water. Professor Dr. Brenda Davy and her Team from Virginia Tech University found that giving people 2 cups of water before each meal resulted in greater weight loss after 12 weeks. The reason? It helps fill you up.

18. Add beans to your salads. Itís a nice way to add some additional fiber, protein, and healthy carbs.

19. Replace one meal a day with a large salad and lean protein. This is a simple way to instantly improve your diet.

20. Keep a food journal. Thereís no better way to track what youíre putting in your mouth.

21. Watch your portions. Avoid the buffet line and never supersize. Instead make sure youíre following what the nutrition label recommends for a serving.

22. Switch to calorie-free drinks. All calories count, whether theyíre liquid or solid. So unless itís low-fat milk, opt for tea or water. Or something I was introduced to in the Netherlands -- large bunches of mint, lemon and hot water.

23. Weigh yourself. Studies show daily weigh-ins help enhance weight loss efforts. Donít live and die by the number. And of course a scale doesnít decipher between fat and lean body mass, but it can still be of benefit to keep things ďin check.Ē

24. Eat whole eggs. Daily. A study published a couple years ago showed that those who ate whole eggs versus a bagel for breakfast ate less at the next meal. A similar study showed eating whole eggs increases HDL (good) cholesterol.

25. Eat breakfast. A review published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that those who eat breakfast are more successful with long-term weight maintenance. Other research has shown the same for weight loss. Grab hardboiled eggs, scrambled eggs, Greek yogurt, a piece of fruit and handful of nuts, or make a smoothie. It doesnít have to be fancy.

26. Eat the bulk of your meals in the A.M. Then eat progressively less throughout the day. A study published in the Journal of Nutrition showed that eating most of your calories earlier in the day positively influences weight changes.

27. To burn more calories, stay upright. This means not sitting in front of a computer, TV, phone, etc all day. Stand and youíll burn more and be more productive. This could even save your life. Discover Why Your Office Chair is Killing You.

28. Use the stairs. Thatís right: Skip the escalator and elevator. This wonít make or break success, but every little bit helps. So get in all the movement you can.

29. Eat low-energy, dense foods. These are foods that are high in water and lower in calories, such as fruit, veggies, soups, and salads. Studies at Penn State University have showed that the inclusion of these foods helps individuals eat less total calories overall.

30. Donít grocery shop hungry. If you do, youíll buy everything in the aisle -- instead of sticking to your list. And most of the time, the foods you buy when hungry will the kinds that sabotage your weight loss efforts.

31. Replace side dishes with steamed veggies. Restaurants will often allow you to substitute the fries or chips with steamed veggies. All you have to do is ask.

32. Bake, donít fry.

33. Use the fat-burner in your backyard: your grill. (And make sure you have a copy of Grill This, Not That! -- the extraordinary guide to grilling that can help you lose 10, 20, 30 or more pounds.)

34. Order dressing on the side. But hereís the bigger secret: Dip your fork in dressing, and then in the salad. This saves a ton more dressing than if one was to order it on the side, and the pour the entire cup on the salad anyway. Fewer calories equal less weight.

35. In the airport: Carry your luggage, donít roll it. Again, not a deal breaker in terms of success -- just another way to increase energy expenditure.

36. Skip the ďVenti lattesĒ and opt for plain coffee. (Or better yet, tea.) Those extra large ďdesignerĒ coffees can pack a belly-inflating 500 or more calories per serving!

37. Embrace oats. Plain rolled oats will help fill you up more than the high sugar breakfast counterparts. Moreover, 1 serving provides a lot less calories than the sugar coated alternatives.
ThePostGame brings you the most interesting sports stories on the web.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to read them first!

38. Fidget. A study published in the journal Science showed that those who fidgeted more often -- for example, changed their posture frequently -- weighed less than those who didnít. This extra movement was termed NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis).

39. Laugh often. A study presented at the European Congress on Obesity found those who laughed hard for approximately 10 to 15 minutes each day burned an additional 10 to 40 calories/day. Multiply that by 365 and those calories can add up!

40. Leave something on your plate at the end of the meal. Every little bit counts.

41. When out to eat, split a meal. The portions are usually big enough to feed a family.

42. Skip dessert.

43. Donít socialize around the food tables at parties. Youíre more
likely to munch mindlessly, even though you may not be hungry.

44. Donít eat your kidís leftovers. Every little bit of food adds up, including what we call ďBLTsĒ (bites, licks and tastes).

45. Keep chips, dips, and other high fat junk foods out of the house. Itís not about willpower; itís about being realistic.

46. If you have a dog, take him for a walk. Itís better for both him and you than just letting him out the back. (Bonus: Heíll love you even more!)

47. If you donít have a pet, offer to walk a neighborís dog. Make friends; lose weight.

48. Use smaller plates and bowls. There will be less room for you to fill up and it makes less food seems like more.

49. Skip buffets. Itís a foregone conclusion: If you donít, youíll feel like you have to get your moneyís worth and overeat. For more instant weight-loss secrets Ė delivered to your inbox every day -- sign up for the FREE Eat This, Not That! newsletter.

50. Slow down. It takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes for your stomach to sense itís full. If you wolf down your food like a starving dog, youíll likely out-eat your hunger.

51. Decrease your food intake by 100 calories per day. Theoretically this translates to losing nearly 1 pound per month (1 lb = 3500 calories) -- with hardly any effort.

52. Buy a pedometer and accumulate at least 10,000 steps each day.

53. When possible, walk or bike to do your errands.

54. Donít buy in bulk. The more that is there, the more that youíll eat.

55. Plan ahead. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

56. Keep some healthy snacks -- like nuts -- in your glove compartment so youíre prepared at all times.

57. Take before pictures.

58. Get new friends. If your friends prefer pizza, wings, nachos and beer on a regular basis, find oneís who are like-minded and want to be healthy. Research has suggested that friends enhance (or can hurt) success.

59. Put yourself first. Many people (women in particular) put everyone else ahead of themselves and let their health fall by the side.

60. Remember: Itís not all or nothing. If you fall off the bandwagon, jump right back on. Donít let yourself continue to fall until all progress has been lost.

61. Wake up early to exercise. Youíre more likely to get it done if you donít wait until after work.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/trai...ys-lose-weight
Old 06-29-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That list was so long I ate an entire bag of chips getting through it.

Actually I found I was already doing a good number of them all along. Was suprised by 23 which recommended a daily weigh-in. Most sources are saying once or twice a week if at all.

This morning's weigh-in: 179.8, down 20.2 so far
Old 06-29-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
ugh, 178 lbs. - that's the heaviest I've been in 3 years, and that's not from muscle gain. I should lose it when it heats up - the hotter it is the more active I get and the less I eat - it's just that this June-Gloom has been dreadful - it actually kinda rained this morning...
Two week later and I've lost 8 pounds! Should be back down to a lean 160 by the end of the Summer.
Old 06-29-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Holding right now at 181, but not totally pleased,

While I'm focusing more on fitness goals which is good, I still have a bit of a spare tire. I've increased my running and more focused on weights. My pants are getting loose, but not shirts. Which I think is good as they are snug in arms and chest. But I'm certainly not buff or ripped.

But again my biggest complaint is still a spare tire on gut. Which I don't like to look at, but is also an issue for men.

I know I cant spot lose. And while ive decided to go to 178, those 3 lbs aren't going to make my gut go away.

Suggestions?
Old 07-03-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^That's a tough one. Maybe some exercises that focus on the core? Yoga? Pilates?

I'm having issues with "the number". I've been stuck in a 5 lbs radius for over a month (240-245). I felt that I may have been getting too lazy on my diet. So I decided to put the scale away and refocus myself. So over the last two weeks my diet has been simple (breakfast shake, salad w/ turkey for lunch, half a plate of vegetables for dinner with some meat and some carbs). I have a coffee in the morning and a diet Snapple for lunch 2-3 times a week. I've been good with my 64oz of water.

Gym routine has stayed the same. I have one of those heart rate monitors that also measure my calories burned. I strive for 4000 calories burned a week through various cardio exercises. I also throw in about an hour a week of weight lifting.

So after two weeks of refocusing and not touching the scale I see that I'm still in that 5 lbs range. Not sure what else I can do. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Goat3001; 07-03-12 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-05-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dropped another lb to be down to 180 (-93 overall). But oddly had a terrible 5k race last Saturday. Was terribly humid and not well organized. So just chalking up to a bad day.

Yea, I'm adding more pushups for core. I currently do 3 sets of 8 on weight days. But I downloaded an app to do a program to get you to do a 100 non-stop. So I'll do that program on running days.

Goat, I'd change some things up. Just for me, I found that I have to tweak things from time to time. Off the bat I'd say your not eating enough. Seems like a low amount for your size. Also, are you doing weights? Heighly recommended. But remember, your change won't likely have an immediate impact. Give any change time to take effect. Also, as much as watching the scale, watch how your clothes are fitting. If you are making healthy choices, you may not always see weight loss, but your pants might get looser. Which is a good thing! For example, I've only lost a couple lbs in the last month. But looks like I'm officially down to 33" jeans and 32" dockers. Which considering I started at 46" pants, I'm pleased!
Old 07-05-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd think that diet is by far the most important factor in getting rid of the spare tire. If you can't get remove that fat, the core exercises aren't going to be of any visible benefit. Since most men carry excess fat in their stomach area, it's going to be the last thing to go.

I don't even worry about the scale while I'm lifting weights. I know it's removing fat and building muscle. I also know I'm gaining lbs while I'm lifting weights. Still at the same size waist though.
Old 07-06-12, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by deadlax View Post
I'd think that diet is by far the most important factor in getting rid of the spare tire. If you can't get remove that fat, the core exercises aren't going to be of any visible benefit. Since most men carry excess fat in their stomach area, it's going to be the last thing to go.

I don't even worry about the scale while I'm lifting weights. I know it's removing fat and building muscle. I also know I'm gaining lbs while I'm lifting weights. Still at the same size waist though.
Agree. I'm "attacking" from multiple fronts. Add pushing ups. Continue to achieve a calorie deficite diet, and being more careful withies those calories.

I'm reading the "Skinny Rules". No I hate the title too. But it's pretty good. Not a structured diet. Just some "rules" you should follow. Most are basic and common sense ( #1 is drink more water). But good easy to understand reasons. It's by the guy from the Biggest Loser.

It I can get to 178 by 3rd week of the month, I'm going to have to give serious thought to going on 173 by Mid-August.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.