Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone had PRK or LASIK and had your eye(s) regress?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 12-31-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

I had PRK on both of my eyes in 2002. During the past few years I have noticed that my vision in my left eye has gotten progressively worse while my right eye has gotten slightly worse. I decided to go to the doctor yesterday for the first time in about 5 years to have my eyes checked for health and prescription. I was somewhere around 20/400 with an astigmatism around a 5 on each eye before the surgery. After my eye exam yesterday my left eye has regressed to about a 20/100 and my right is at around 20/30. Now I will have to wear a contact lense in at least my left eye to avoid the headaches that I have been getting over the past few months because of my change of vision. I can't have any more corrections either as my cornea is too thin. Anyone else had these types of surgeries and would like to discuss your success or difficulties afterwards?
Old 12-31-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 212 Likes on 142 Posts
Re: Anyone had PRK or LASIK and had your eye(s) regress?

Not yet. I had PRK in 2010. Isn't it common for everyone's vision to regress as they age? My only issue has continued to be dry eyes when I wake up. It's annoying as hell because my eye hurts for the next hour or so.
Old 12-31-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My eyes are both dry and itchy throughout the day and it really sucks. The other problem I deal with is psoriasis and they are not sure if or how that immune system problem might affect someone who has had these types of surgeries.
Old 12-31-11, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you were 20/400 before the surgery and now you're 20/100? What were you after the surgery? You neglected to mention that. Even still, 10 years later you're 20/100 when you used to be 20/400. I'd still call that a major success.

By the way how long did it take after your surgery until your vision was as good as it was going to get? I had PTK in one eye back in October and currently my vision is much worse than it was before the surgery. The doctor told me it would take a few months and at my 1 month checkup he said everything looked great. I'm a little worried though because I haven't seen much improvement in the last month and I know somebody whose wife had surgery the same day I didn't and supposedly she had 20/20 vision a week later. That's just what he said though. I have another checkup in February. If it doesn't get any better than this I'm screwed because I can barely see anything.
Old 12-31-11, 07:56 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I had LASIK in 2001. It was great for about 6 years, and then I needed glasses again. I could have another procedure done and my far vision would be great, but then I would need reading glasses. Since I sit at a computer most days and read all the time, it doesn't make sense to do that.
Old 12-31-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

LASIK in 2005. I've had yearly check-ups since and my vision has remained steady at 20/30. I did have an odd occurrence a few yrs ago when I couldn't pass the vision test for my license renewal. Had to get a form filled out by my eye doctor.
Old 12-31-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
So you were 20/400 before the surgery and now you're 20/100? What were you after the surgery? You neglected to mention that. Even still, 10 years later you're 20/100 when you used to be 20/400. I'd still call that a major success.

By the way how long did it take after your surgery until your vision was as good as it was going to get? I had PTK in one eye back in October and currently my vision is much worse than it was before the surgery. The doctor told me it would take a few months and at my 1 month checkup he said everything looked great. I'm a little worried though because I haven't seen much improvement in the last month and I know somebody whose wife had surgery the same day I didn't and supposedly she had 20/20 vision a week later. That's just what he said though. I have another checkup in February. If it doesn't get any better than this I'm screwed because I can barely see anything.
I believe after a few months of healing, and it took a few months as PRK is far more invasive than LASIK, my left eye was around 20/50 or so and my right was about 20/25. I still have days where my vision in both eyes is more blurry than normal but I don't know if it is because of excessive dryness or having to use the computer a lot at work. I just wish that I were one of the lucky ones born with good vision and not have to worry about this crap. And psoriasis is a real bitch.
Old 12-31-11, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had LASIK about 8 years ago and have been very happy with it. I don't remember what my vision was prior, but after healing from the surgery, I was at 20/30 or 20/40. I do feel like my vision has gotten slightly worse, but nothing TOO noticeable. I look at a computer all day for work and then am on the computer a lot at home, so I wouldn't be surprised if my vision has degraded a bit. The doctor that did the LASIK said that the cost included any subsequent enhancement surgery I might need, so I guess if it gets much worse, I have that option.

Two side effects I've noticed: My eyes are very sensitive to sunlight, whereas they previously were not. Another weird one that I'm curious if any of you have experienced is that windshield wipers give me a headache and I can't look through them for very long if they are going on a rapid speed. It's hard to explain the exact sensation, but has anyone else experienced something similar?
Old 12-31-11, 08:36 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

there are higher rates of regression w/PRK than LASIK.

I myself had LASIK about 10 years ago now, and my left eye has gotten slightly worse I would guess 20/40?, but since it is my non dominant eye I only notice it when I have my right eye closed, which is not often.
Old 12-31-11, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone know an ophthalmologist that has actually gotten LASIK?

All of my friends in medicine recommend against it.
Old 12-31-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I am thinking of getting Lasik this upcoming year, and now these stories are freaking me out.

I've been using glasses since 1994.
Old 12-31-11, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
I am thinking of getting Lasik this upcoming year, and now these stories are freaking me out.

I've been using glasses since 1994.
I think a lot of people have some slight side effects, but nothing that outweighs the benefit.

My only long-term concern is that, since LASIK is fairly new, it is unknown what problems there could be with it 20, 30, 40 years down the road after having the surgery.
Old 12-31-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition View Post
I think a lot of people have some slight side effects, but nothing that outweighs the benefit.

My only long-term concern is that, since LASIK is fairly new, it is unknown what problems there could be with it 20, 30, 40 years down the road after having the surgery.
Lasik started in the early 90s so if there were any serious long term complications, we would have heard about it already.
Old 12-31-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Does anyone know an ophthalmologist that has actually gotten LASIK?

All of my friends in medicine recommend against it.
Why don't your doctor friends recommend it? What about PRK/PTK?
Old 12-31-11, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it would be weird to get laser surgery. I'm so used to waking up in the morning , opening my eyes and seeing a blur until I put on glasses or contacts. It would freak me out to see so clearly before I shower or get dressed.
Old 12-31-11, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
I think it would be weird to get laser surgery. I'm so used to waking up in the morning , opening my eyes and seeing a blur until I put on glasses or contacts. It would freak me out to see so clearly before I shower or get dressed.
It's funny you mention that because that was what I was most looking forward to before getting mine. It's great being able to open my eyes and see clearly when I wake up.
Old 12-31-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition View Post
It's funny you mention that because that was what I was most looking forward to before getting mine. It's great being able to open my eyes and see clearly when I wake up.
Really? I also can't imagine not having my glasses. I could never adapt to contacts. I've been considering the surgery for years. But I have always been concerned about any long term problems. This thread has started me thinking about the surgery again.
Old 01-01-12, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I could survive without contacts or glasses now but before the surgery there was no way. My vision was so bad that doing anything was very difficult. You have to weigh quality of life for yourself now to things that might happen in a non-guaranteed future. I wouldn't be too scared about doing it as long as you go to someone that is reputable.
Old 01-01-12, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 229 Likes on 144 Posts

Yeah, one of the first things the dr. told me when i had it done was that i might still need glasses when i get older. I had it done back around 2000 or so for free as part of a radio promotion when i was on air.
Old 01-01-12, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had LASIK 8 years ago and haven't had a single problem. Best decision of my life. I'm 31 now. I think we need to hear some ages of people who have regressed as it could just be the normal age induced bad vision.

My advice is not to skimp. Spend the extra dollars, these are your eyes we're talking about. I had the more expensive computerized eye map done at LASIKPlus. (forgot what it's called, plus I'm sure technology has gotten even better since then).
Old 01-01-12, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I could have had LASIK but there was no way as my corneas were not thick enough.
Old 01-01-12, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I wish I could have had LASIK but there was no way as my corneas were not thick enough.
Yeah, that was the same reason that I had to get PRK. The good thing is that the procedure actually improved my night vision. The downside was of course the long and painful recovery. I had the fancy eye mapping stuff done too and for those asking about PRK, it really does really get tons better by month 3. My vision was pretty fuzzy for a while after the procedure and right around month 3, boom, I was at 20-10.

It's only been about 3 or 4 years so far since my procedure and I'm only 30 so my eyes have stayed pretty consistent. It was so worth it though. My eyes were terrible beforehand (although I liked wearing glasses) and life is much easier without worrying about breaking glasses or losing contact lenses. I'd get a touch-up in a heartbeat if my vision regressed.
Old 01-01-12, 09:28 AM

I've been thinking about getting one of the procedures done, but on my last eye exam the doctor told me that my eyesight was too bad for the operation (I think my prescription was around 728 or so, and that LASIK only went up to around 400 ...but that was 5 years ago).

With that info, I also thought about getting permanent lenses put inside my eyes (they put a lens inside your cornea). My Grandmother had it done and her vision was absolutely terrible and she didn't seem to have any issues with them. I don't know if anyone here has heard of that (and I don't know the name of the procedure), but it seems to be another option to LASIK/PRK.
Old 01-01-12, 09:32 AM

I found some info on the implanted lenses if anyone's interested:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/vision...ble-lenses.htm
Old 01-02-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My silicone contact that I just got on Friday for my left eye has bugged the crap out of me. I've got to go in a few days from now and see if I'm allergic to the contact or maybe the solution.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.