Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Neti Pot Deaths

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Neti Pot Deaths

Old 12-25-11, 09:53 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Neti Pot Deaths

Just curious if anyone uses a neti pot? I've read about some recent deaths from a brain-eating amoeba in tap water that people were using in their neti pot and it has me a little concerned because I just used a neti pot today three times with tap water. I've always used tap water with it and don't recall reading anything that only distilled or purified water should be used, but apparently it's pretty common knowledge?

Anyway, I wanted to warn any other neti pot users and find out if others use tap water as well. I don't use the neti pot frequently, but I've been using it the last few years when I get congested and haven't experienced any problems before.
Old 12-25-11, 09:55 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 19,524
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Common sense tells me that I must at the very least boil any water that I'm pouring inTo my head.

The one we have also says this in the instructions.

Whole idea of of pouring un boiled water into my nose just makes no sense to me even a little bit.
Old 12-25-11, 09:57 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,979
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011...-water-warning
Old 12-25-11, 10:02 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Common sense tells me that I must at the very least boil any water that I'm pouring inTo my head.

The one we have also says this in the instructions.

Whole idea of of pouring un boiled water into my nose just makes no sense to me even a little bit.
Maybe it is just ignorance on my part and most people know better, but I wouldn't have thought using tap water, which is supposed to be safe enough to drink, would present any more of a threat than using boiled or distilled water. In fact, I would think ingesting tainted water would be more harmful than flushing out sinuses with it, but I did not know that some bacteria is safe to ingest and not to flush out your sinuses.

Am I gonna die (I mean eventually I will, but from this)?
Old 12-25-11, 10:05 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Under Golden Gate Bridge
Posts: 10,911
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Yeah, I started using one about a year ago when my I was congested too. I don't remember any instruction to use boiled water or distilled water only. I guess I'm lucky to have avoided the brain-sucking amoebas. I do find it odd that the same tap water presents no problem for drinking.
Old 12-25-11, 10:09 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
Yeah, I started using one about a year ago when my I was congested too. I don't remember any instruction to use boiled water or distilled water only. I guess I'm lucky to have avoided the brain-sucking amoebas. I do find it odd that the same tap water presents no problem for drinking.
Apparently it's in the instructions, but I imagine after the revelation of the brain-sucking amoeba, it will be more prominently displayed on the packaging. I hope so anyway.
Old 12-25-11, 10:10 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,071
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition View Post
Maybe it is just ignorance on my part and most people know better, but I wouldn't have thought using tap water, which is supposed to be safe enough to drink, would present any more of a threat than using boiled or distilled water. In fact, I would think ingesting tainted water would be more harmful than flushing out sinuses with it, but I did not know that some bacteria is safe to ingest and not to flush out your sinuses.

Am I gonna die (I mean eventually I will, but from this)?
There are deadly diseases that are quite common in the sinuses, like the bacterium that causes meningitis, but they don't go anywhere and the transmission rates between humans is extremely low.
Old 12-25-11, 10:15 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
There are deadly diseases that are quite common in the sinuses, like the bacterium that causes meningitis, but they don't go anywhere and the transmission rates between humans is extremely low.
Okay, *whew*. I read in some of the articles about these deaths that it's very rare to contract this amoeba, but it is fatal ~97% of the time, so it gets you worried. I don't think I'm in that group of 3 out of 100, if I had to guess.
Old 12-25-11, 10:16 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,466
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

I've heard that as long as you use an amount of saline in the water, it'll be ok. The pot I bought came with a healthy supply of saline packets to add to each use.
Old 12-25-11, 10:29 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: West Central Georgia
Posts: 3,508
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Old 12-25-11, 10:32 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
Real funny.
Old 12-25-11, 10:34 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 19,524
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
I've heard that as long as you use an amount of saline in the water, it'll be ok. The pot I bought came with a healthy supply of saline packets to add to each use.
They usually do and of course when out, you can buy more.
Old 12-25-11, 10:38 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
movie diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition View Post
Am I gonna die (I mean eventually I will, but from this)?
Can I have your DVD's please.
Old 12-25-11, 10:41 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 20,187
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
Is it wrong to laugh at this on Christmas?
Old 12-25-11, 10:42 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by movie diva View Post
Can I have your DVD's please.
If I die in the near-future from brain-eating amoeba, then yes. Otherwise, DVDs will probably be obsolete by the time I do kick it.
Old 12-25-11, 10:45 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 20,187
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition View Post
If I die in the near-future from brain-eating amoeba, then yes. Otherwise, DVDs will probably be obsolete by the time I do kick it.
Wrong thread but do you have any pics of your collection posted somewhere? I was amazed to see how many bds you have.
Old 12-25-11, 10:45 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Under Golden Gate Bridge
Posts: 10,911
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
I've heard that as long as you use an amount of saline in the water, it'll be ok. The pot I bought came with a healthy supply of saline packets to add to each use.
I think they all suggest using the salt but whether that does anything to our amoeba overloads is anyone's guess. I suppose it's best to get distilled water even with the inconvenience.
Old 12-25-11, 10:48 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 20,187
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

I caught an intestinal amoeba once while in Guatemala and it hurt like hell and felt like I was giving birth to an alien baby every few minutes. The flight back from Tikal was the closest I've ever been to death and was immediately taken to the hospital where I spent over 24 hours.
Old 12-25-11, 10:49 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 58,120
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

I don't use Neti Pots but I do use pre-prepared Saline Drops/Mist for the nose. I never heard of these deaths until now.
Old 12-25-11, 10:54 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: West Central Georgia
Posts: 3,508
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition View Post
Real funny.
Sorry man.

Old 12-25-11, 10:57 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Wrong thread but do you have any pics of your collection posted somewhere? I was amazed to see how many bds you have.
I haven't taken any in a few years, but if I survive the amoeba, I will try to take some soon.

These are actually from my first post on DVD Talk - http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/45...ml#post6953025. It doesn't look like this at all anymore, but it's something.

I'm not real proud of the collection; it's a sickness, really (luckily, not a life-threatening one).
Old 12-25-11, 10:58 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 7,071
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition View Post
Okay, *whew*. I read in some of the articles about these deaths that it's very rare to contract this amoeba, but it is fatal ~97% of the time, so it gets you worried. I don't think I'm in that group of 3 out of 100, if I had to guess.
Transmission of bacterial meningitis does happen, though. There have been cases where it was something as simple as sharing food or drink.

There's a real danger with amoebas even though it's not statistically significant, but I would still take necessary precautions.
Old 12-25-11, 10:58 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 58,120
Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I caught an intestinal amoeba once while in Guatemala and it hurt like hell and felt like I was giving birth to an alien baby every few minutes. The flight back from Tikal was the closest I've ever been to death and was immediately taken to the hospital where I spent over 24 hours.
Yeah man the Prostitutes down there are no joke. You gotta wrap it up before play.
Old 12-25-11, 11:00 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 20,187
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Yeah man the Prostitutes down there are no joke. You gotta wrap it up before play.
If you're talking about water prostitutes then you might be on to something. I don't think my wife would have allowed me to mingle with any real prostitutes nor would I have cared to.
Old 12-25-11, 11:01 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 876
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Neti Pot Deaths

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
Transmission of bacterial meningitis does happen, though. There have been cases where it was something as simple as sharing food or drink.

There's a real danger with amoebas even though it's not statistically significant, but I would still take necessary precautions.
Yeah, I definitely will not be using unboiled tap water anymore. I'm actually a quite clean and sanitary person, but I had no idea about how dangerous the sinuses can be.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.