Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Random Video Post: Eight Days A Week

Old 02-08-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Random Video Post: Eight Days A Week

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
You’re going way overboard. I agree with her assessment. The last ten years are just a wasteland, with scant few exceptions. And her opinions on the titles she briefly reviewed are pretty spot on. People really should see more Iranian cinema. Certainly at least one Iranian film for every 2 comic book movies would do everyone some good.
Not going overboard at all. Overboard is pretentious “film school” knobs like this chick waxing euphoric about “unsung” little foreign gems they think they’ve personally discovered on behalf of the world at the expense of an everything put out by Hollywood in its entirety for the past five or ten years! That’s several shades of horseshit right there. It’s all art with varying commercial intent, whether it’s made here at the “Hollywood” or indie level, or abroad in similar capacities, and it should go without saying (especially here, but I’ll say it anyway) that every film is collaboration by people who set out to make something at the very least worth watching, and preferably successful either artistically or financially. Sure, many films don’t pass muster or are even downright bad but that's nowhere near a legitimate reason to paint EVERYTHING with the same brush, and if you don’t think that logic also applies in every other market you’re delusional. We generally get access to “foreign” films that EARNED international distribution via festivals, arthouses, discs, streams, whatever, while the chaff stays home, and that only reinforces rose-colored views of the entire cinema of an entire country like, say, Iran. Perhaps someone who has watched EVERY Iranian film from the last decade might blanket label it “the scum-fuck of Iranian trash”. Or maybe not, because hopefully they know it’s always a mix of successes, failures and everything in between.

Also, in America the Blockbuster employees were notoriously clueless. They weren’t posers or wannabes. I don’t even think they knew there were movies on the tapes they handled.
Maybe it was a Canadian thing. I distinctly recall at least five different Blockbusters in three cities up here (and especially in Toronto) wherein you’d invariably find one, maybe two young “film school” types predictably fawning — just like this chick in her earlier videos posted by Grundle — over the works of “Hollywood” bigwigs like Spielberg and Tarantino and Kubrick and omigawdSTOPIT before oh-so-predictably entering their “I hate everything from Hollywood for the past ten years” phase because they finally picked some disc off the “foreign” shelf or went to a film festival and got all woke and shit. Please. I will agree, however, that these folks were the exception and that most of their colleagues were indeed comparatively clueless and probably just considered it a job, which likely meant they dreaded listening to these irritating little “experts” as much as I did as a customer.

In retrospect, though, I should give credit to some of the folks that worked at some of the grungy hole-in-the-wall video stores here back in the day. Much as I never cared to join in the conversation, I must admit that these folks had definitely gone down the cinema rabbit hole as far if not further than I had, which in both cases was much, much deeper than movie grrrrl here, even at the same relative age.

Give her time, though. She might get there. I’m not holding my breath.
Old 02-08-19, 10:50 AM
Political Exile

Old 02-08-19, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
That's interesting that you mention TIFF, because in some of her other videos, she talks about how she has worked there for the last several years.
Hopefully as a volunteer. If she represents the kind of staff they put on the payroll, I really need to rethink my membership. Oh wait, it already lapsed. Close one.

Once you mentioned that, though, I had to wonder if my annoyance with her was pre-existing because I was subconsciously recalling seeing her scanning my tickets or something.

Anyway, these other videos are from before she started film school. This is actually how I discovered her channel. Lots of mainstream stuff in these videos. Very different from what I posted above.
Make my case! I couldn't last more than a few seconds in any of those, so I clicked through just to see the discs she held up, and EVERYTHING is the kind of populist Hollywood product she now shits all over.

See folks, this is what something like TIFF potentially does to vulnerable and inexperienced young movie buffs. It slaps them awake, which is awesome, but then they become total assholes.
Old 02-08-19, 04:57 PM

Reply for Norm, spoilered since he did the same, and so others can avoid eyes glazing over.

Spoiler:

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
I never ran into an insufferable know-it-all type, but this was long before millennials. I remember the incomparable thrill of spotting some long-sought film on the shelf. At suspect, I always made a beeline to the new-releases shelf. I actually liked the original Queen Video most of all (for one thing, it was not as grotty as Suspect), but it was too far away for me as well, so I went rather infrequently. Suspect was also quite a distance from my house in North York, but not nearly as far as Queen. Howie actually offered me a job in the early-'90s, but it was not my type of gig, and the place was simply too far. I think Merrill, of Suspect, and Annex's aforementioned Marco also offered me jobs, but I could be misremembering.
Could be for the better that you didn't take the offers. It often seemed like the guys and gals working in these place were still working in them when they closed down, long past the age where the knowledge obtained could lead to further gainful employment. I suppose retail's retail, but some of the clerks I saw in Suspect and Queen over the years made me wonder if they were capable of anything else career-wise. Hopefully they all moved on alright.

Ha, so you must have a lot of Suspect's strange-smelling merchandise. I never made it down to the closeout sales, mainly because I didn't know about them. But I wouldn't have gone anyway. The interesting thing about Suspect and Queen is that both openly rented grey-market videos without consequence. Stuff from ETC, VSoM, Luminous, et al, films one otherwise wouldn't have been able to see at the time.
I do indeed have Suspect's merch. Well, not all of it, but probably about 200 discs and tapes in total, plus another 150 or so from Queen on Queen, so there's plenty more floating around out there. If I was a wealthy man I probably would've bought everything, tossed or donated the worthless stuff, and kept all the oddball, underground and drive-in shit until I had time to watch it, which would probably require me to live to about 106. But alas . . .

And yes, some of them did smell a bit . . . pissy? First thing I did when I got 'em home was swap out as many cases as I could, and wipe the dust and, uhh, whatever off the ones that were still reasonably clean already. As you pointed out, a LOT of the tapes and a small number of discs were indeed illegal boots, but once upon a time that was the only way to see so much of this stuff. Worse, the majority of what I bought is still virtually impossible to see because the legit versions the bootleggers used to make their tapes have long since fallen off the grid, gone OOP, stopped working, etc. I'm just glad I was able to rescue a big bunch of stuff I'd always wanted to rent when I visited these places but never could logistically.

Yeah, Vintage V. was crap, afaic. I haven't heard of Eyesore. Must be relatively new. We've been members at Videoflicks since 1987, but I haven't been there in many years. I live a little ways north of VF. I'm amazed it's still in business. It's a generic, mainstream movie store, though there was a time in the '90s when I ordered LDs from them. Bay Street is a good one, but I've only been there once or twice. I found it a little expensive. There also used to be one on Danforth, east of Broadview, that specialized in foreign films (like Video Annex), but I don't remember the name, and it's long-gone.
Eyesore is probably worth a peek if you're walking by some time. They've been around a few years now. Not the largest selection I've seen, but he stocks a good cross section of cult stuff for rent and/or sale, and orders in a lot of boutique stuff from the states (Vinegar Syndrome, Synapse, AGFA, Arrow, Code Red and that bunch). Prices are a bit steep by my standards, but hey it's Canada, and that's probably not fair as I order from the U.S. and ship to addresses there, so it's way cheaper all around. Still, the few times I've been in there people have come in to rent stuff with regularity.

More importantly Eyesore holds regular movie screenings in the back, usually with special guests, or in conjunction with some of the local indie film festivals, or as part of a comedy night, or just as a themed mini-festival of one genre or another. From what I've seen on social media they're often well attended, so clearly he's on to something there that the other guys never thought of back in the day. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't. He's definitely not just about the rentals.

I don't need any of these places anymore. There are infinitely better, easier sources for virtually any film ever made.
When these places announced they were closing, it briefly became the total opposite for me. After so many years wishing I could just freely rent stuff from them but being unable to, and instead using them as brick-n-mortar catalogs for placing online orders, streaming, etc., suddenly I needed them because "virtually any film ever made" is accurate in that it means there are still titles you can't find. Granted, they're only of interest to a minority of die-hards like me, I guess, who've simply wanted to tick them off a mental checklist for decades, but now I have them. And when I sell them onward — and I inevitably do — I usually get a LOT more than I paid in the close-out sales, even considering the less-than-appealing condition, because somewhere out there is a handful of other folks who've had no luck finding ultra-rarities online, folks who didn't even have the luxury of living anywhere near places like Suspect or Queen Video.

Last edited by Brian T; 02-08-19 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WTF is Michael Myers stealing from a bodega?

Old 02-08-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-09-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Not going overboard at all. Overboard is pretentious “film school” knobs like this chick waxing euphoric about “unsung” little foreign gems they think they’ve personally discovered on behalf of the world at the expense of an everything put out by Hollywood in its entirety for the past five or ten years! That’s several shades of horseshit right there. It’s all art with varying commercial intent, whether it’s made here at the “Hollywood” or indie level, or abroad in similar capacities, and it should go without saying (especially here, but I’ll say it anyway) that every film is collaboration by people who set out to make something at the very least worth watching, and preferably successful either artistically or financially. Sure, many films don’t pass muster or are even downright bad but that's nowhere near a legitimate reason to paint EVERYTHING with the same brush, and if you don’t think that logic also applies in every other market you’re delusional. We generally get access to “foreign” films that EARNED international distribution via festivals, arthouses, discs, streams, whatever, while the chaff stays home, and that only reinforces rose-colored views of the entire cinema of an entire country like, say, Iran. Perhaps someone who has watched EVERY Iranian film from the last decade might blanket label it “the scum-fuck of Iranian trash”. Or maybe not, because hopefully they know it’s always a mix of successes, failures and everything in between.

Maybe it was a Canadian thing. I distinctly recall at least five different Blockbusters in three cities up here (and especially in Toronto) wherein you’d invariably find one, maybe two young “film school” types predictably fawning — just like this chick in her earlier videos posted by Grundle — over the works of “Hollywood” bigwigs like Spielberg and Tarantino and Kubrick and omigawdSTOPIT before oh-so-predictably entering their “I hate everything from Hollywood for the past ten years” phase because they finally picked some disc off the “foreign” shelf or went to a film festival and got all woke and shit. Please. I will agree, however, that these folks were the exception and that most of their colleagues were indeed comparatively clueless and probably just considered it a job, which likely meant they dreaded listening to these irritating little “experts” as much as I did as a customer.

In retrospect, though, I should give credit to some of the folks that worked at some of the grungy hole-in-the-wall video stores here back in the day. Much as I never cared to join in the conversation, I must admit that these folks had definitely gone down the cinema rabbit hole as far if not further than I had, which in both cases was much, much deeper than movie grrrrl here, even at the same relative age.

Give her time, though. She might get there. I’m not holding my breath.
Kubrick was never really a Hollywood big wig

You are on dvdtalk. There are plenty of people like her here. Or people who were like her, so chill out.

The knowledgeable cinephile video store employee did exist, but when blockbuster moved in they didn’t hire those types. Have you seen Ghost World? It’s well parodied in that film.

Old 02-09-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kubrick was never really a Hollywood big wig

You are on dvdtalk. There are plenty of people like her here. Or people who were like her, so chill out.

The knowledgeable cinephile video store employee did exist, but when blockbuster moved in they didn’t hire those types. Have you seen Ghost World? It’s well parodied in that film.

MASTERPIECE EMPLOYEE #1
Hello and welcome to Masterpiece
video. How may I help you this
afternoon, sir?

CUSTOMER
I'm looking for a copy of 8 1/2.

MASTERPIECE EMPLOYEE #1
Yessir! Is it a new release, sir?

CUSTOMER
No, it's the classic Italian film.

MASTERPIECE EMPLOYEE #1
Let me look that up on the computer
for you, sir!

(FIDDLES WITH COMPUTER)
Yes, here it is - 9 1/2 WEEKS with
Mickey Rourke. It's in our "Erotic
Dramas" section.
Old 02-10-19, 12:16 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Hopefully as a volunteer. If she represents the kind of staff they put on the payroll, I really need to rethink my membership. Oh wait, it already lapsed. Close one.

Once you mentioned that, though, I had to wonder if my annoyance with her was pre-existing because I was subconsciously recalling seeing her scanning my tickets or something.

Make my case! I couldn't last more than a few seconds in any of those, so I clicked through just to see the discs she held up, and EVERYTHING is the kind of populist Hollywood product she now shits all over.

See folks, this is what something like TIFF potentially does to vulnerable and inexperienced young movie buffs. It slaps them awake, which is awesome, but then they become total assholes.

Even after graduating from from film school and working at TIFF for several years, she still retains her love for those Hollywood blockbuster movies that she liked in her older videos. Her recent criticism of Hollywood blockbuster films only applied to recent years.
Old 02-10-19, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-10-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Then they got the flock out of there.
Old 02-10-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-10-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Amazing free diving video
Old 02-10-19, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Amazing video. +1
Old 02-11-19, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Then they got the flock out of there.
It's the funniest video I've seen in a long time. I don't know what that shepherd did to that sheep but it's pissed off for some reason. And then it just blends in with the rest of the flock.
Old 02-11-19, 04:19 PM

Spoiler:
Even after graduating from from film school and working at TIFF for several years, she still retains her love for those Hollywood blockbuster movies that she liked in her older videos. Her recent criticism of Hollywood blockbuster films only applied to recent years.
It's that high-minded "I discovered foreign cinema and now everything Hollywood sucks" attitude that's so cliched and predictable, though. The very thing she undoubtedly decries in modern Hollywood cinema, I'm sure. She's doing what so many other young "film fans" have done since forever. It's always "the last five years" (or whatever) that suddenly suck. Going by the rationale of people who've thought like that down through the decades, the last hundred years of Hollywood should suck and none of us should even be here! I applaud those who don't/didn't get caught in such a ridiculous 'phase'.

The knowledgeable cinephile video store employee did exist, but when blockbuster moved in they didn’t hire those types.
Some did. Period. And it isn't the knowledge. It was the superior attitude they adopt when preaching it, as noted.

Last edited by Brian T; 02-12-19 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-11-19, 06:02 PM

How to tell if your cat is from Arkansas:

Old 02-11-19, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-11-19, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wouldn't you think that, with a problematic low overpass, it would be a good idea to have a hanging bar at the same height to alert people before they get to it? Like you see for many parking garages?

People should obviously be aware of the height of the vehicle they're driving, but clearly they are not.
Old 02-11-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
4 minutes of a well executed enjoyable clusterfuck of a performance.

Old 02-11-19, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-12-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where have all the good gentlemen gone to?

Old 02-12-19, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^She went overboard with her tirade, but she's fundamentally right. People should not stand in subway doors where other riders need to embark and disembark. It's basic courtesy.
Old 02-12-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
She she went way overboard it got to be comedy. Especially when she kept asking "why?"
Old 02-12-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I was a pig.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.