Re: Random Video Post: Eight Days A Week

Old 02-04-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-05-19, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post

How has this video not gone viral? I can't tell if it's fake or not.
Old 02-05-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazing artistry in that face compiled from random trash.
Old 02-05-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman View Post

How has this video not gone viral? I can't tell if it's fake or not.
It's got to be fake.
Old 02-06-19, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
It's got to be fake.
You can see more of his work here

https://tettybetty.com/thomas-deinin...l-assemblages/
Old 02-06-19, 08:54 AM
Political Exile

A 23 year old Canadian with a degree in film studies talks about all the movies she saw last month.

NSFW due to a few profanities:

Old 02-06-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a dumb stupid fuck..
Old 02-06-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-07-19, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post

I wonder if that's this tsunami. This is one of the creepiest videos. Especially with that little kid there.

Old 02-07-19, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tsunami wave strikes Indonesian pop band during show

By Nicole Chavez and Jaide Timm-Garcia, CNN

Updated 9:41 AM ET, Mon December 24, 2018
Band swept off stage in Indonesia tsunami

(CNN)An Indonesian pop band performing near the beach was swept away when a tsunami hit the Sunda Strait on Saturday.

Seventeen's drummer Windu Andi Darmawan, bassist Muhammad Awal Purbani and guitarist Hernawan Sikumbang were killed in the disaster, lead singer Riefian Fajarsyah said in a series of emotional messages posted on Instagram. The band's manager Oki Wijaya also died, he said.

Seventeen's drummer Andi and Fajarsyah's wife Dylan are still missing, he said Monday.

"Please come home my darling -- I am longing for you," Fajarsyah said.

"I am still here -- I am not going anywhere -- I will pick you and we can come home together sweet heart," he added.
It's a different date.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 02-07-19 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 09:43 AM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
A 23 year old Canadian with a degree in film studies talks about all the movies she saw last month.

NSFW due to a few profanities:

She definitely went to film school. I remember when I used to talk like that.

Its funny how she canít pronounce any of the foreign directors names. And she doesnít seem to understand the Decalogue. She was put off by the first episodeís bleakness, but all the episodes are very different. She needs to try a few more.
Old 02-07-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Waterslide in Poland
Old 02-07-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Boy, that video's a real buzz killer. I can't stand people like that, male or female — and couldn't even when I was her age — pretentious, overeager little "experts" who have no idea how limited their experience truly is, yet they just have to put it all out there as if no one's ever hearditbeforelikeomigawd! I can't stand being near them at TIFF, or in the hipster video stores here (then as now), or walking near them on the street as they breathlessly indoctrinate their friends, or in videos like this. Can't stand them in the art world, either, the ones who just have to expound on the "meaning" of a painting so everyone in the gallery can learn what that dead artist really meant to say. After she said "because I think the movies of the past five years have been just so beyond fucking garbage it's like a scum fuck of Hollywood trash" I just wanted to slap the pigtails off her head, in a completely non-#metoo kind of way of course. People who gush euphorically about indie cinema -- or their typically elastic definition of it -- at the expense of mainstream Hollywood films (most of which they probably haven't seen because they're just too high-brow for that sort of thing, you see) really need to park that shit in escrow for another decade or two.

At the same time, I'll give her credit for being so unselfconsciously willing to own it. True to her generation I guess.

Last edited by Brian T; 02-07-19 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Old 02-07-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
...or in the hipster video stores here (then as now)...
I'm the polar opposite of a hipster (I can't face watching the girl's video after the comments), but I used to spend hour upon hour in those places. There are very few remaining, and they aren't really needed anymore, sad to say. Suspect, always redolent of jizz, grass, leather jackets, and unwashed hands, is gone because of the demo of Honest Ed's. Annex closed abruptly 20 years ago when owner Marco D. flew by night to the Philippines, leaving his employees unpaid, as the rumour went. And Queen moved to Bloor and closed the eponymous location after the fire. I wonder if Howie still runs the place. He was a good guy.
What else is there?
Old 02-07-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
I'm the polar opposite of a hipster (I can't face watching the girl's video after the comments), but I used to spend hour upon hour in those places. There are very few remaining, and they aren't really needed anymore, sad to say. Suspect, always redolent of jizz, grass, leather jackets, and unwashed hands, is gone because of the demo of Honest Ed's. Annex closed abruptly 20 years ago when owner Marco D. flew by night to the Philippines, leaving his employees unpaid, as the rumour went. And Queen moved to Bloor and closed the eponymous location after the fire. I wonder if Howie still runs the place. He was a good guy.
I spent a lot of time in the Suspect locations as well, and still visit the remaining Queen Video on Bloor when I'm in the neighborhood, although it's mostly new releases, the "used" stuff is way overpriced, and the kids who seem to be running and/or working in the place now are almost EXACTLY like the girl in that video, so I have to bite my lip. A lot. In fact, that's probably why I used the term "hipster video places" earlier, although in fairness even in the "old days" I just couldn't get into debating publicly with other movie nuts for hours on end. That was time that could be spent watching more shit.

I'm the quiet browser type, though. Never went/go to these places to "discuss cinema" with the "film studies" crowd or whatever one called them (and in fairness, girly in the video reminds me more of the wannabes I used to see working in Blockbuster the more I think about it). I was mainly looking to see what new oddball shit they'd have in stock so I could go home and wishlist it or order it online. I lived too far from the core to make renting feasible, but when Queen Video at Queen/Spadina closed down in 2016, followed by Suspect in 2016/2017, I blew unfathomable amounts of money cleaning them out. Both of them started out with ridiculously high prices. For example, Queen Video had everything at $12 or some shit to start, and almost nothing was selling, so I just kept going back every other night as the prices dropped and starting loading up at the $6.00 point, then $5.00, $4.00 right down to a buck on the last day, etc. Same deal at Suspect: galling $30 price tags at first, few takers, but once they dropped below $7-ish dollars and below, I started walking out every night with huge bags full of discs AND tapes, much of it out of print (and/or questionably legal in the first place )

I do miss them, but you're right that here's not much need for them anymore. Hell, I only used them like catalogs when they were open, which I'm sure didn't help.

On the other hand, I think if someone opened a small but well-stocked sales-only video store that specialized in boutique label releases, some studio stuff, and had FAIR pricing and an intuitive website with free shipping deals and whatnot, I think Toronto would be the place to put it to cater Canada-wide. Kinda like what Vinegar Syndrome does with their 'Archive' store in Connecticut. Suspect is sorta-kinda doing something like that in Toronto via their website and social media -- no physical space -- with orders shipped by mail or picked up at The Beguiling, but it's kinda low-rent and I'm not sure if how many people are even aware of it.

What else is there?
Only a handful now: Queen Video and Eyesore Cinema in the Annex (the latter has a Suspect-lite vibe), Videoflicks on Avenue Road, way up near the 401 (closed in 2017, reopened [!] in 2018) and Bay Street Video, which still seems to do bang-up business with the mix of condo dwellers and uni students in the vicinity. All of these places are rather well-stocked with tons of stuff you can't find on streaming, especially on Canada's comparatively barren services (including Netflix), so hopefully they'll keep on keepin' on. I think Vintage Video may still be open, but I never liked their prices and the, ahem, suspect nature of a lot of their imports.

Apologies for hijacking. Someone post an unrelated video before I keep rambling . . .

Last edited by Brian T; 02-07-19 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 06:29 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Boy, that video's a real buzz killer. I can't stand people like that, male or female — and couldn't even when I was her age — pretentious, overeager little "experts" who have no idea how limited their experience truly is, yet they just have to put it all out there as if no one's ever hearditbeforelikeomigawd! I can't stand being near them at TIFF, or in the hipster video stores here (then as now), or walking near them on the street as they breathlessly indoctrinate their friends, or in videos like this. Can't stand them in the art world, either, the ones who just have to expound on the "meaning" of a painting so everyone in the gallery can learn what that dead artist really meant to say. After she said "because I think the movies of the past five years have been just so beyond fucking garbage it's like a scum fuck of Hollywood trash" I just wanted to slap the pigtails off her head, in a completely non-#metoo kind of way of course. People who gush euphorically about indie cinema -- or their typically elastic definition of it -- at the expense of mainstream Hollywood films (most of which they probably haven't seen because they're just too high-brow for that sort of thing, you see) really need to park that shit in escrow for another decade or two.

At the same time, I'll give her credit for being so unselfconsciously willing to own it. True to her generation I guess.

You’re going way overboard. I agree with her assessment. The last ten years are just a wasteland, with scant few exceptions. And her opinions on the titles she briefly reviewed are pretty spot on. People really should see more Iranian cinema. Certainly at least one Iranian film for every 2 comic book movies would do everyone some good.

Also, in America the Blockbuster employees were notoriously clueless. They weren’t posers or wannabes. I don’t even think they knew there were movies on the tapes they handled.

Last edited by Mabuse; 02-07-19 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-07-19, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-07-19, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
i spent a lot of time in the suspect locations as well, and still visit the remaining queen video on bloor when i'm in the neighborhood, although it's mostly new releases, the "used" stuff is way overpriced, and the kids who seem to be running and/or working in the place now are almost exactly like the girl in that video, so i have to bite my lip. A lot. In fact, that's probably why i used the term "hipster video places" earlier, although in fairness even in the "old days" i just couldn't get into debating publicly with other movie nuts for hours on end. That was time that could be spent watching more shit.
Spoiler:

Really? I've never been to that outlet, and from the sound of it, that's probably a good thing.
i'm the quiet browser type, though. Never went/go to these places to "discuss cinema" with the "film studies" crowd or whatever one called them (and in fairness, girly in the video reminds me more of the wannabes i used to see working in blockbuster the more i think about it). I was mainly looking to see what new oddball shit they'd have in stock so i could go home and wishlist it or order it online.
I was never one to get into discussions with anyone either, and I usually went at around 11 p.m., when few other browsers were around. I usually rented about a dozen or more pre-selected VHSes, taped them in slp onto blank VHSes over a couple of sleepless nights, returned the videos, and watched the movies at my leisure. I found that the most efficient way. This was in the '90s, pre-DVD.
I never ran into an insufferable know-it-all type, but this was long before millennials. I remember the incomparable thrill of spotting some long-sought film on the shelf. At suspect, I always made a beeline to the new-releases shelf. I actually liked the original Queen Video most of all (for one thing, it was not as grotty as Suspect), but it was too far away for me as well, so I went rather infrequently. Suspect was also quite a distance from my house in North York, but not nearly as far as Queen. Howie actually offered me a job in the early-'90s, but it was not my type of gig, and the place was simply too far. I think Merrill, of Suspect, and Annex's aforementioned Marco also offered me jobs, but I could be misremembering.
i lived too far from the core to make renting feasible, but when queen video at queen/spadina closed down in 2016, followed by suspect in 2016/2017, i blew unfathomable amounts of money cleaning them out. Both of them started out with ridiculously high prices. For example, queen video had everything at $12 or some shit to start, and almost nothing was selling, so i just kept going back every other night as the prices dropped and starting loading up at the $6.00 point, then $5.00, $4.00 right down to a buck on the last day, etc. Same deal at suspect: Galling $30 price tags at first, few takers, but once they dropped below $7-ish dollars and below, i started walking out every night with huge bags full of discs and tapes, much of it out of print (and/or questionably legal in the first place )
Ha, so you must have a lot of Suspect's strange-smelling merchandise. I never made it down to the closeout sales, mainly because I didn't know about them. But I wouldn't have gone anyway. The interesting thing about Suspect and Queen is that both openly rented grey-market videos without consequence. Stuff from ETC, VSoM, Luminous, et al, films one otherwise wouldn't have been able to see at the time.
on the other hand, i think if someone opened a small but well-stocked sales-only video store that specialized in boutique label releases, some studio stuff, and had fair pricing and an intuitive website with free shipping deals and whatnot, i think toronto would be the place to put it to cater canada-wide. Kinda like what vinegar syndrome does with their 'archive' store in connecticut. Suspect is sorta-kinda doing something like that in toronto via their website and social media -- no physical space -- with orders shipped by mail or picked up at the beguiling, but it's kinda low-rent and i'm not sure if how many people are even aware of it.
That's an interesting idea. The problem with The Beguiling is that it's exclusively comic books, isn't it? I went into there one time, but comics are not my thing.
only a handful now: Queen video and eyesore cinema in the annex (the latter has a suspect-lite vibe), videoflicks on avenue road, way up near the 401 (closed in 2017, reopened [!] in 2018) and bay street video, which still seems to do bang-up business with the mix of condo dwellers and uni students in the vicinity. All of these places are rather well-stocked with tons of stuff you can't find on streaming, especially on canada's comparatively barren services (including netflix), so hopefully they'll keep on keepin' on. I think vintage video may still be open, but i never liked their prices and the, ahem, suspect nature of a lot of their imports.
Yeah, Vintage V. was crap, afaic. I haven't heard of Eyesore. Must be relatively new. We've been members at Videoflicks since 1987, but I haven't been there in many years. I live a little ways north of VF. I'm amazed it's still in business. It's a generic, mainstream movie store, though there was a time in the '90s when I ordered LDs from them. Bay Street is a good one, but I've only been there once or twice. I found it a little expensive. There also used to be one on Danforth, east of Broadview, that specialized in foreign films (like Video Annex), but I don't remember the name, and it's long-gone.
I don't need any of these places anymore. There are infinitely better, easier sources for virtually any film ever made.
Also a great loss is Theatrebooks, but it just couldn't survive in the Amazon age.
Old 02-07-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Spoiler:
Ooh, work it, girl!
Old 02-07-19, 10:43 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post

She definitely went to film school. I remember when I used to talk like that.

Its funny how she canít pronounce any of the foreign directors names. And she doesnít seem to understand the Decalogue. She was put off by the first episodeís bleakness, but all the episodes are very different. She needs to try a few more.

Boy, that video's a real buzz killer. I can't stand people like that, male or female ó and couldn't even when I was her age ó pretentious, overeager little "experts" who have no idea how limited their experience truly is, yet they just have to put it all out there as if no one's ever hearditbeforelikeomigawd! I can't stand being near them at TIFF, or in the hipster video stores here (then as now), or walking near them on the street as they breathlessly indoctrinate their friends, or in videos like this. Can't stand them in the art world, either, the ones who just have to expound on the "meaning" of a painting so everyone in the gallery can learn what that dead artist really meant to say. After she said "because I think the movies of the past five years have been just so beyond fucking garbage it's like a scum fuck of Hollywood trash" I just wanted to slap the pigtails off her head, in a completely non-#metoo kind of way of course. People who gush euphorically about indie cinema -- or their typically elastic definition of it -- at the expense of mainstream Hollywood films (most of which they probably haven't seen because they're just too high-brow for that sort of thing, you see) really need to park that shit in escrow for another decade or two.

That's interesting that you mention TIFF, because in some of her other videos, she talks about how she has worked there for the last several years.

Anyway, these other videos are from before she started film school. This is actually how I discovered her channel. Lots of mainstream stuff in these videos. Very different from what I posted above.

NSFW due to profanity:

Old 02-08-19, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ooh, work it, girl!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.