Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Macy's employee fired after violating company's LGBT policy

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 12-12-11, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Natalie Johnson files complaint with federal agency.

Ksat news link

Article contains video of the fired woman. Thread title give most of the info but as the article states, she violated Macy's policy and admitted as such.

Curious what the otters opinion is..

And for those keeping score.
Spoiler:
Texas.. not Florida
Old 12-12-11, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Macy's employee fired after violating company's LGBT policy

I'm all for freedom of religious beliefs (and I share the "antiquated" notion that a transgender, wether male or female, is still their original gender) but she had no business violating store policy. It's not like the person was hurting or peeping at anyone. She deserved to get fired.
Old 12-12-11, 04:42 AM
Banned

She tried to stop a male from going in the women's changing rooms. Um...isn't that what store workers are supposed to do ? If a man needs to go to the restroom, he goes to the men's room. If a girl has to go, she goes to the girls' room. What's so odd about what the girl did ? So, we're supposed to treat people specially just because they're transgender/gay/whatever ? Sorry, but that doesn't fly. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the kinds of people I just mentioned want to be treated just like everyone else ? If that's so, then why do they expect the rules to change to suit their lifestyle ? The worker was correct. If transgender/gay/whatever people want to be treated like everyone else, then they should follow the same rules as everyone else. I don't expect to be allowed into the girls' restroom or the girls' gym.

I'm all for treating everyone equally. If you want me to treat you just like I would treat anyone else,...fine. I'll do that. If you want me to treat you special,..fine. I'll do that, too. But you can't have it both ways. You can't say you want to be treated just like everyone else and then get mad when people do just that.

While I believe that the store is extremely wrong in their decision to fire the girl, they can make whatever rules they want. If the girl doesn't like it, then she can find a job where they think the same way she does.

Last edited by Spottedfeather; 12-12-11 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-12-11, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

You have to love it when these Jesus freaks cry that they're being discriminated against when they aren't allowed to discriminate against other groups they don't like.

She violated the store's policy, and she lost her job. Instead of playing the victim card, she needs to learn from this incident and go find another low-paying, dead-end job.
Old 12-12-11, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Although I see and agree with your point, Spottedfeather, the fact is that (as you aknowledged) Macy's policy is to give special treatment to transgendered individuals by allowing them to go to the dressing room of their choice. The employee knew of said policy and took it upon herself to violate said store policy. Unfortunately, she brought the firing on herself.
Old 12-12-11, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Maybe it's because I am a lesbian, but I don't understand women who would be scared of a tranny in the fitting room. Why do they assume that person is there for anything but to try on clothes? It's insulting to act as if they're sex fiends who will attack anything that moves. I'm glad that Macys has this policy.
Old 12-12-11, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, she sure picked the wrong defense. "I know and reject your stupid policy" only works for customers, not employees. She should have said, "I didn't know he was a transexual. I thought he was just some pervert in drag checking out the chicks." I'm sure she would have gotten off with a reprimand, and mandatory transexual sensitivity training. I wonder what the real women customers think of some pervert in drag checking out the chicks in the women's changing room.
Old 12-12-11, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes, the correct defense here is "I thought he was some pervert." or "Dude didn't look at all like a lady."
Old 12-12-11, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That defense I can buy, OldDude. However, she acknowledged that she knew he was a tranny and knew the store policy is to allow him to enter the women's dressing room. She was just trying to make a statement because of her religious views and it cost her job. That's all well and good but she can't play the victim after making her stand.

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Maybe it's because I am a lesbian, but I don't understand women who would be scared of a tranny in the fitting room. Why do they assume that person is there for anything but to try on clothes? It's insulting to act as if they're sex fiends who will attack anything that moves. I'm glad that Macys has this policy.
I dunno how dressing rooms are in Macy's but I have used women's dressing rooms in Sears and K-Mart because the men's dressing rooms were full and the employees just told me that I could go ahead and use the women's dressing rooms because the were available. It was no big deal because the rooms are individualised. It's not like they put you in a room with a group of half naked people. You're alone in your own little room (cubicle, really).

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-12-11 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-12-11, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I dunno how dressing rooms are in Macy's but I have used women's dressing rooms in Sears and K-Mart because the men's dressing rooms were full and the employees just told me that I could go ahead and use the women's dressing rooms because the were available. It was no big deal because the rooms are individualised. It's not like they put you in a room with a group of half naked people. You're alone in your own little room (cubicle, really).
Most women's dressing rooms are like this. The only "communal" one I've ever been to was in a bridal salon, and that was for the bride and her attendants to use together--they wouldn't have put a bunch of strangers together in it.
Old 12-12-11, 07:56 AM
gamer for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for some reason I picture Beavis and Butt-head watching a news broadcast on tv about this...and going into a local stores dressing room claiming to be girls....uhhh...huhuhuh...
Old 12-12-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What a drag
Old 12-12-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"her religious beliefs prevent her from recognizing transgender people"

How's that working out for her?
Old 12-12-11, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What is this world coming to? What's next, Macy's customers allowed to serve openly in the military?
Old 12-12-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post

It's working great! Now she's a martyr to the cause. Her name will be on the lips of every Christian television newscaster and commentator for months to come.
Old 12-12-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell, I'm an atheist and it IS hard to tell them from a perv in drag until they start whining about being born in the wrong body.
Old 12-12-11, 10:55 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Men have greater potential to be dangerous than women. It's just a fact. Maybe there were little girls in the changing area.
Old 12-12-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Most women's dressing rooms are like this. The only "communal" one I've ever been to was in a bridal salon, and that was for the bride and her attendants to use together--they wouldn't have put a bunch of strangers together in it.
In my mind they would and that's what I'm going with
Old 12-12-11, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Actual transgender male-to-females might not be dangerous, but if it's known and accepted to allow them into a dressing room for women, it would be easier for some predator of women and/or children to simply dress up like a woman to gain access. For that reason, I say give them a third dressing room.
Old 12-12-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Sadly, there's not a lot of women coming into the men's dressing rooms...but I do want you all to know you're more than welcome.
Old 12-12-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Probably just fine.
Old 12-12-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Sadly, there's not a lot of women coming into the men's dressing rooms...but I do want you all to know you're more than welcome.
Thank you,

Old 12-12-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, sky cake! Why are you so delicious?
Old 12-12-11, 03:54 PM

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Probably just fine.
Don't know if most people would regard losing one's job for being a stupid bigot as, "fine."
Old 12-12-11, 04:07 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Don't know if most people would regard losing one's job for being a stupid bigot as, "fine."
She worked at fucking Macy's, it's not like she was a brain surgeon.
I'll go with "Probably just fine" too.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.