Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

20% of people who have AIDS don't know it.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics
View Poll Results: Which of the following applies to you?
I have AIDS and I know it.
5.88%
I have AIDS and I don't know it.
35.29%
I don't have AIDS.
58.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-11, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

This article claims that 20% of people who have AIDS don't know it, so I thought I'd do a poll to see if that's really true.

http://news.yahoo.com/few-u-hiv-viru...173653007.html

Few in US with HIV have virus under control: CDC

By Julie Steenhuysen

November 30, 2011

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Only 28 percent of the 1.2 million Americans living with HIV have the infection under control, increasing the risk that they will spread the disease to others, U.S. health officials said on Tuesday.

A big part of the problem is that one in five U.S. adult infected with HIV do not know it. Of those who are aware, only half receive ongoing medical care and treatment, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in its latest report on HIV in America.

"It's now very clear that we have the tools to stop HIV in an individual and to stop the spread of HIV in a community," CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden said in a telephone interview.

"We also know that taking treatment for HIV can prevent people from progressing to AIDS and from developing many of the serious complications of HIV, which unfortunately does remain an incurable infection," Frieden said.

Recent studies have shown that suppressing the virus through treatment reduces the spread of HIV to partners by as much as 96 percent.

CDC's report, released ahead of World AIDS day on December 1, focuses on increasing rates of HIV testing and treatment.

It follows new global AIDS priorities set by U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton focused on HIV-fighting drugs as a way of preventing new infections that could bring the goal of "an AIDS-free generation" within reach.

The global plan also seeks to reduce mother-to-child transmission of HIV and expand voluntary male circumcision.

"In this country, we already do a very good job with maternal-child transmission prevention," Frieden told Reuters.

He said the major area of need in the United States is in "strengthening the cascade" of care by improving access and making sure people continue taking their medication to ensure the virus in their body is kept low enough to prevent the spread of the infection.

"The fact that nearly three quarters of Americans living with HIV still have the virus circulating in their bodies, damaging their brains and immune systems and putting their sexual partner at risk is something we think we can do a lot about," he said.

TESTING CAMPAIGN

To reach groups at the greatest risk, the CDC is launching a new campaign urging regular testing for young black gay and bisexual men, a population in which both HIV and syphilis infections continue to rise.

Frieden said studies have shown that black gay and bisexual do not engage in riskier behaviors than other gay men.

"It's just that the infection has gotten into this community and therefore it's particularly important that people in the community get tested and treated," he said.

The campaign includes advertising in gay and black neighborhoods in six cities where infections in this population are highest: Atlanta, Baltimore, Houston, New York City, Oakland, California and Washington, D.C.

While the number of Americans newly infected with HIV remained stable between 2006 and 2009, infections rose nearly 50 percent among young black gay and bisexual men, according to a CDC report released in August.

Men who have sex with men -- which includes openly gay and bisexual men and those who do not identify themselves as gay or bisexual -- remain most heavily affected.

While this group represents 2 percent of the overall U.S. population, they accounted for 61 percent of all new HIV infections in 2009.

(Adds the word "young" in line 49 to make clear HIV is rising among young black gay and bisexual men)
Old 11-30-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 20% of people who have AIDS don't know it.

If 20% of the people with AIDS don't know it, but the author of the article does, then she's a dick for not telling them.
Old 11-30-11, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
If 20% of the people with AIDS don't know it, but the author of the article does, then she's a dick for not telling them.
I agree with you.
Old 11-30-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20% is a relatively low number. I bet the % for heart disease or the like is much higher.

I've seen studies that point to 9 out of every 10 people who have undiagnosed Herpes don't know they have it. It's a big part of why it's an epidemic.
Old 11-30-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

If it's possible for someone to have AIDS and not know it, it must not be as bad as advertized.

Now, HIV positive, and not knowing it, I can believe.
Old 11-30-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
If it's possible for someone to have AIDS and not know it, it must not be as bad as advertized.

Now, HIV positive, and not knowing it, I can believe.
grundle doesn't know the difference.
Old 11-30-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
This article claims that 20% of people who have AIDS don't know it, so I thought I'd do a poll to see if that's really true.
How many people know that AIDS isn't the same thing as HIV? I know of at least one person who doesn't.
Old 11-30-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Meanwhile Magic Johnson has the cure for HIV and isn't telling anyone.
Old 11-30-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, the difference between "5% of people who have AIDS don't know it" and "5% of people have AIDS and don't know it."
Old 11-30-11, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Half the people who have hearing AIDS don't know because they forgot to take their medication.
Old 11-30-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Everyone knows you can't get AIDS anymore. Is it April 1st?

Last edited by Mabuse; 11-30-11 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
If they do not know it, how could the (made up) statistic be true?

Is you poll to see if the statistic is true or not? How could someone answer the second question? Would they know the answer or not?

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 11-30-11 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
If they do not know it, how could the (made up) statistic be true?

Is you poll to see if the statistic is true or not? How could someone answer the second question? Would they know the answer or not?
Maybe the grabbed a big sample of people, asked them "Are you HIV+, YES or NO?" and then tested them all.

Then from that sample, you could look at who said they were NOT, but turned out to be + afterall.

Anyway, from everything I"ve been reading, it's mostly the people who don't know, who are the ones that continue to spread the disease. Those who know their HIV+ status and are on the cocktails are much less likely to spread the virus (due to undetectable viral loads).
Old 11-30-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

AIDS was destroyed when the media quite talking about it. We have bigger fish to fry now, Bird Pneumonia is coming quickly?
Old 11-30-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

86% of people will think this thread wasted 2 minutes of their life and 100% of those people know it.

Old 11-30-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I answered the poll but do not know it
Old 11-30-11, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Meanwhile Magic Johnson has the cure for HIV and isn't telling anyone.
...it's money.
Old 11-30-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
86% of people will think this thread wasted 2 minutes of their life and 100% of those people know it.

60% of the time, it works... every time.
Old 11-30-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Everyone knows you can't get AIDS anymore. Is it April 1st?
You can still get aids. They sell them at the drugstore.
Old 11-30-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me the interesting stat is at the bottom: Gay Males are 2% of the population but over 60% of new HIV cases.

Add to that IV drug use, which accounts for an estimated 25-30% of new HIV infections.

Meanwhile, thanks to political correctness I couldn't get a BJ in highschool without a rubber because it carried the same risk as pulling a double shift manning the Ramrod's gloryhole while sharing needles with Freddy Mercury and becoming blood brothers with Pedro Zamora.
Old 11-30-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Holy shit, so that's like 1 in 5 people posting in this thread have aids. Shocking.
Old 11-30-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
For me the interesting stat is at the bottom: Gay Males are 2% of the population but over 60% of new HIV cases.

Add to that IV drug use, which accounts for an estimated 25-30% of new HIV infections.

Meanwhile, thanks to political correctness I couldn't get a BJ in highschool without a rubber because it carried the same risk as pulling a double shift manning the Ramrod's gloryhole while sharing needles with Freddy Mercury and becoming blood brothers with Pedro Zamora.
If you only read: "For me the interesting stat is at the bottom: Gay Males are 2% of the population but over 60% of new HIV cases.

Meanwhile, thanks to political correctness I couldn't get a BJ in highschool"
and then stop, this post becomes epic.
Old 11-30-11, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Mhg83 doesnt have HIV, than I'm pretty sure it must not exist anymore.
Old 11-30-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another fine misleading grundle title. HIV =/= AIDS.

Nice poll, though.
Old 11-30-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Another fine misleading grundle title. HIV =/= AIDS.

Nice poll, though.
While the title switch wasn't shocking, what did surprise me was the fact that Obama wasn't being blamed for bringing HIV from Kenya in that article.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.