Reload this Page >

YACT: using summer tires in the southeast

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-27-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's time for new tires, and I'm thinking of putting on a set of summer tires, and hoping they'll perform okay in the wintery months in the southeast (Atlanta, GA), as well as the rest of the year. Anyone else from this area running summer tires all year round?

We had one major ice storm last year that pretty much shut the area down for almost a week, but I have an older second car I could drive if it got really cold, and I wouldn't mind it as much if I skidded it into a ditch on icy road conditions.
Old 11-27-11, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: YACT: using summer tires in the southeast

I've never heard of summer tires here in Florida.
Old 11-28-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why don't you just get tires that will last you year-round?
Old 11-28-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i live in Phhilly and just buy all weather tires.
Old 11-28-11, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I've never heard of summer tires here in Florida.
Live in California, never heard of summer tires here either, sounds like a scam to get you to buy more tires each year.

Last edited by movie diva; 11-28-11 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-28-11, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, the good old days. Every fall putting on snow tires only to switch back in the spring. I didn't know they still made season specific tires.
Old 11-28-11, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://naskoto.hubpages.com/hub/Summ...eir-advantages
Old 11-28-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Since there isn't any such thing as "wintry conditions" in Atlanta, I would say that's a good idea.
Old 11-28-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

sure there is. but not enough to worry about a different set of tires.

get some good all season radials and you'll be set. what kind of car btw? i keep all terrains on my truck for off road jaunts.
Old 11-28-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's gonna snow tomorrow!
Old 11-28-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Heh, I chickened out on the summer tires for my Civic Si, and went with the Continental DWS tires for a more all-season tire type after all. It'd be my luck that winter in 2012 would be more severe than usual. Plus, the summer tires last about 20,000 miles, while the all-season tires actually had a prorated 50,000 warranty.
Old 11-28-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have "summer" aka perfromance tires and snow tires. My car came with the performance tires and supposedly they perform better in dry conditions aka the coupld warm months here in Minnesota. They are completely and utterly worthless in even slightly icy conditions though. For example, I screwed up and didn't put my snow tires on in time and we had a little mini ice storm last Saturday and I almost died like 4 times while I was out driving around. I definitely won't make that mistake again.

Yeah, I definitely know that just getting a set of all season tires makes way more sense, but I like the look of my summer tires and it's no big deal at all to change them out twice a year. And the snow tires kick ass.
Old 11-28-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you have a sport vehicle and like to drive it that way, summer tires can make a significant difference in improving the cornering & braking ability. The downside is they don't last long and are deadly during the winter, doesn't even need to be icy, they lose a lot of traction even if it's just cold.
Old 11-28-11, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman View Post
It's time for new tires, and I'm thinking of putting on a set of summer tires, and hoping they'll perform okay in the wintery months in the southeast (Atlanta, GA), as well as the rest of the year. Anyone else from this area running summer tires all year round?

We had one major ice storm last year that pretty much shut the area down for almost a week, but I have an older second car I could drive if it got really cold, and I wouldn't mind it as much if I skidded it into a ditch on icy road conditions.
You can use summer tires so long as it isn't on snow or ice. If there's snow or ice, then snow tires will be the best, but all season could be used with reduced performance compared to snow.

Also, it is suggested to have 4/32" tread in wet weather, and not to use tires more than 6 years after manufacturing. I had a set of RE050a max performance summer tires that still had some life, but was pushing 5 years from when I got the car, so I decided to change them out.
Old 11-28-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've learned two things from this thread:

There is such a thing called 'summer tires' and people in Atlanta have wintery months.
Old 11-28-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, the weather in Atlanta can turn on a dime overnight, it can be 70 degrees F one day, and then 25 degrees F the next night. And, yes, we're supposed to have snow tomorrow, and it's still Novemburrrr!!!!
Old 11-28-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've heard horror stories about snow/ice in Atlanta. You guys just aren't prepared for it, but it seems to happen more than once every blue moon. Like you said, one ice storm shut down the city for a week. I can believe that if you don't have plows and salt/sand mixtures to spread and if people simply don't know how to drive in that stuff. Up here in the tundra it just doesn't matter if it snows. We just go about our daily business, but I just couldn't imagine having to endure a snow/ice storm if my city didn't have the tools to combat it. But even if it does happen a couple times a year, that still isn't worth the expense of keeping that equipment on hand. Basically people in warm climates are just fucked if they do happen to get a snow/ice storm.
Old 11-28-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've heard tell it might drop into the upper 50s on Wednesday... if I make it out alive I'll let you know about the tire situation.
Old 11-28-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
I've heard horror stories about snow/ice in Atlanta. You guys just aren't prepared for it, but it seems to happen more than once every blue moon. Like you said, one ice storm shut down the city for a week. I can believe that if you don't have plows and salt/sand mixtures to spread and if people simply don't know how to drive in that stuff. Up here in the tundra it just doesn't matter if it snows. We just go about our daily business, but I just couldn't imagine having to endure a snow/ice storm if my city didn't have the tools to combat it. But even if it does happen a couple times a year, that still isn't worth the expense of keeping that equipment on hand. Basically people in warm climates are just fucked if they do happen to get a snow/ice storm.
I think this is exactly it. We get less snow here in Iowa than I witnessed as a kid growing up in Minnesota, but both here and there we almost never have work closings due to weather. Some early releases and late starts, but I can't remember the last snow day I've had.
Old 11-28-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I've heard tell it might drop into the upper 50s on Wednesday... if I make it out alive I'll let you know about the tire situation.
I will pray for you .
Old 11-28-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
#savehokeyboy
Old 11-28-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Patman View Post
Yup, the weather in Atlanta can turn on a dime overnight, it can be 70 degrees F one day, and then 25 degrees F the next night. And, yes, we're supposed to have snow tomorrow, and it's still Novemburrrr!!!!
I live in southern Wisconsin and we haven't seen more than a dusting of snow! Snow in Atl before WI is awesome!
Old 11-29-11, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
I've learned two things from this thread:

There is such a thing called 'summer tires' and people in Atlanta have wintery months.

Me too! My summer tires are all season performance tires, and my winter tires are nokian hakkapeliitta 7's that cost me more than my first car did.
Old 11-29-11, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

speaking of which.....atlanta has decided this year to put salt down instead of sand. AND, they've also decided that running the one snow blower they have up the overpasses and dumping the snow onto the highways below them is not a good thing.

now, that's progress i tells ya.
Old 11-30-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have PS2s that I leave on all the time in Alabama. They are useless in snow/ice but since that only lasts an hour here, I just go in late. Traction is significantly affected when below 50deg compared to warm weather but they are still driveable.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.