Reload this Page >

Anyone Have a Nano Reef Aquarium?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-27-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After many years away from the aquarium scene I've decided I want to get back into the hobby. At first I was considering something very small like the new Fluval Edge 6G or 12G tanks...but as aesthetically pleasing as they might be, I fear I may quickly find myself wishing they were a bit larger. I'm also thinking of giving saltwater a shot. With that said, any suggestions on a 20G-30G kit that would include most of what I'd need? Perhaps something like this 24G JBJ Nanocube? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-28-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Anyone Have a Nano Reef Aquarium?

Well if you haven't done saltwater before, smaller is supposed to be more difficult..Especially a "reef" aquarium. I have a 55g saltwater FOWLR and wouldn't want to go smaller than that. I'm no expert though.
Old 11-28-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Those Nanos are very nice. But yeah, small saltwater aquariums are very sensitive.
Old 11-29-11, 09:12 AM

I did the reef thing for about 7 years. Started with a 45g then went to a 180g with dedicated support room then when I had to scale back went with a 24g nano.

The 24g had to be attended to every 3 days, water changes had to be spot on tho less quantity to change out. If you tinker with landscaping its a tight fit.

Visit reefcentral.com and follow nano forums. Great source of info.
Old 11-29-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a 29g reef tank. I gave it to my uncle and now its a FOWLR and it takes very little maint. He has no skimmers, just a Bio wheel and some hardy fish.
Old 11-29-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The wife picked up the Edge for her office, a fresh water tank. I don't think that would do very well as a reef however.

The 24G Nano Cube's are decent, but as was said you're going to need to be highly attentive with it, and precise with your salt and other elements.