Reload this Page >

Project completed - hamster cage.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 11-19-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After working Saturdays on it I finally finished my dream hamster cage. It even has night lights hooked up to a timer so I can watch him during the evening. There are two small computer fans mounted on the back to pull a LIGHT amount of air through the cage. I put a candle inside and the candle doesn't flicker. There will be a second wheel and water bottle once he moves in tonight.

Old 11-19-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Project completed - hamster cage.

Wow, good job!
Old 11-19-11, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, the paint is 100% organic, zero VOC paint.
Old 11-19-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hamster and vegetable Risotto

1 hamster (medium sized), 1 onion (chopped), 1 handful of mushrooms (sliced), half a green pepper (chopped), half a cup of rice, 1 chicken stock cube (or vegetable stock cube if preferred), 1 heaped dessert spoon of peanuts (optional), salt, pepper and oil for frying.

First heat water and mix stock cube with one cup of hot water (if you have an electric kettle, do this while frying onion). Fry onion for 5 minutes in oil. Add mushrooms, pepper and rice; stir for 3 minutes. Now add soup mixture, plus half a cup of water if necessary while stirring occasionally (but only bit by bit because you don't want to make everything too watery). There should be no extra liquid when all the rice has been done. Season to taste. Add peanuts if you want some extra crunch. Total preparation time 35 minutes.

Creole Hamster

A quarter of a pound/100g of braising hamster, one pimento, one onion, one small tin of sweetcorn (or a few half-cooked potatoes), two tomatoes or some tomato paste (just a squeeze), salt, pepper, herbs, oil for frying.

Remove any skin and excess fat from your hamsters and cut into several pieces; beat them out just to make them a little bit thinner (don't enjoy this bit too much); fry gently in oil on all sides and remove from pan before they become overcooked (or carbonised). Chop onion and pimento, fry for five minutes. Put back hamster pieces, add everything else, and simmer very gently for about half an hour or even more making sure that it doesn't dry out (add a little water if necessary). If you like some heat then add a little Tabasco sauce or Worcester Sauce. Potatoes can substitute for the sweetcorn. Rice can be used as well if you like some variation from time to time. Total preparation time 45 minutes approximately.

Chilli con Hamster

A quarter of a pound/100g of minced hamster, one tin baked beans or red kidney beans, one onion (optional), a quarter teaspoon of chilli powder (or some real chillies if you are feeling brave or want to torture someone), one teaspoon tomato purée (more if you like this dish to look really red), salt, pepper, and oil for frying.

Open the beans. Fry the chopped onion; add juice poured from the beans, the chilli powder and the tomato purée. Stir but only if you are not too drunk from the might out you've just had. Add the minced hamster, breaking it up with a spoon and stirring till no more red is visible (don't overdo it as hamster is delicate and may burn). Add beans and seasoning, stir, simmer gently for five minutes. Further simmering while adding water will develop the flavours. Add Tabasco sauce if you like more heat and herbs add their own accent to the morass. Total preparation time about 15 minutes; more if you want to develop the flavours.
Old 11-19-11, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you use some kind of finish on the wooden ramps and structures? If not, they'll be reeking piss within a week. Other than that, that's pretty sweet. How many hamsters are going to be living in there?
Old 11-19-11, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice.
Old 11-19-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Did you use some kind of finish on the wooden ramps and structures? If not, they'll be reeking piss within a week. Other than that, that's pretty sweet. How many hamsters are going to be living in there?
You've never had a hamster have you? Hamsters are incredibly clean animals and only pee in one spot...usually a corner. Mine is potty trained to go in a litter box so its a moot point anyway. The cage he is in now has a similar house/ramp and it has ZERO odor...again they don't just go anywhere.

Itll be for one hamster now, but during school breaks my classroom hamster will be coming home. The ramps are removeable and I made a cap for one of the cut outs, so two hamsters can share the cage w/o ever coming in contact.
Old 11-19-11, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's really a work of art.

I'll bet that your home isn't as nice as the hamster's.
Old 11-19-11, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice work, that should be one happy hamster.

Old 11-19-11, 08:13 PM

holy crap you have too much time on your hands...You made a luxury suite for bloody hamsters!

I...I just don't understand humans.
Old 11-19-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by namrfumot View Post
You've never had a hamster have you? Hamsters are incredibly clean animals and only pee in one spot...usually a corner. Mine is potty trained to go in a litter box so its a moot point anyway. The cage he is in now has a similar house/ramp and it has ZERO odor...again they don't just go anywhere.

Itll be for one hamster now, but during school breaks my classroom hamster will be coming home. The ramps are removeable and I made a cap for one of the cut outs, so two hamsters can share the cage w/o ever coming in contact.
I had gerbils as a kid. Their cage was always filthy when I had to change it, hamsters must be different or I had some low-rent, KVRDave-tenant ass gerbils.
Old 11-19-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's awesome.... wow.

Great work man.
Old 11-19-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
I had gerbils as a kid. Their cage was always filthy when I had to change it, hamsters must be different or I had some low-rent, KVRDave-tenant ass gerbils.
You can literally potty train rodents...they sell "hamster litter" and everything!
Old 11-19-11, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great job! That is one awesome cage. That hamster is now living large!
Old 11-19-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job! Add a snake and a video camera and you're good to go!
Old 11-20-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just don't get in an argument with your spouse. She'll tell you to sleep in it.
Old 11-20-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Video of house in use?
Old 11-20-11, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's for one hamster? Lucky guy. Add a few more and set up a webcam. That might be fun to watch for a few minutes.
Old 11-20-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No habitrail, no sale.

PS - Nice digs, OP.
Old 11-21-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

awesome.
Old 11-21-11, 03:04 PM
Banned

....you should get a few hamsters in there....that's too much fun for one hamster.
Old 11-21-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. You really like your hamster!
Old 11-21-11, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very, very nice!

In my next life I want to come back as one of your hamsters or one of Vibiana's cats. It would certainly beat working ten hours each day.
Old 11-22-11, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That hamster is one of the 1%.
Old 11-22-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even though it's a big cage if you do put more than one hamster (golden variety) they will beat the shit out of each other. Hamsters are loners except for when they want to mate; after that it's like watching a cage match daily and it's usually to the death. It's fun for a bit and these little fuckers go nuts; especially when they make that weird noise with their teeth that make them sound like rattlers. It's a good thing you can put up a barrier to keep them separated. However, if you get the miniature hamsters they are very sociable but you have to make sure their all the same sex. Otherwise, your going to have a population explosion on your hands.

Last edited by mrhan; 11-22-11 at 11:35 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.