Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

help with selling concert tickets

Old 02-01-19, 12:46 AM

Re: help with selling concert tickets

Update:

I took a risk and went with craigslist. Wrote a really personal email, made it clear I'm just a nice, sweet guy looking to surprise his wife with tickets and hoping to help them with the tickets they can't use. Turns out she was a really nice, helpful person, even transferred me the tickets via Ticketmaster Transfer before I sent her payment via PayPal, that's quite a bit of trust! 2 tickets for $100, would've been $160 with fees from the box office, so we got a great deal! I lined up a babysitter, lined up parking, having the night planned out, and she has no idea. I'll be honest, she does not like surprises, or at least she says she doesn't, but when I pull off a good one she absolutely loves it. Here's hoping I have a good update for you. Thanks for all your tips and help.

Oh, I did reach out to someone else on craigslist and it did end up a little shady. I texted them on Sunday night, didn't hear until Monday afternoon. They said tickets were still available, I said if we can use Ticketmaster transfer then I'm interested, didn't hear back at all. The listing went down earlier today. I supposed they did indeed sell them, but it feels off to me. Ironically, the listing for the tickets I bought is still up, so while she really helped me out, there's a little bit of this phenomenon happening.
Old 02-01-19, 08:28 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know I'm out of the loop as far as ticket prices go, but I wouldn't pay $100 for Pink Floyd tickets, let alone a musician I'd never even heard of, and I've seen PF twice: in 1975 & 1977, paid about $11/12.00/ticket. $50/ticket is probably cheap these days which is why I don't go to concerts anymore.

Hope you have a good time, story, and the surprise goes off without a hitch and is well-received!
Old 02-11-19, 06:20 PM

Update: I completely surprised my wife, she had no idea! We were at a function as a family and came home with the babysitter getting to the front door. She was confused, and she went in to see who was at the door while I got the kids out of the car in the garage and told them what was happening. She thought it was very sweet and I got many good husband points. I was right, she had no idea he was in town. The seats were amazing, very close to the stage. Her cousin came alone and in a bizarre twist ended up around 10 rows behind us and he sat in front of us to chat and when the show started the seat he was in was never claimed (a 1-seat buffer that ended up in-between two couples) so he stayed there and ended up with a seat 11 rows closer than the one he paid for, that was pretty cool.

I announced a new job the next day and she's been so supportive behind the scenes, I wanted to spend a few hours that was completely about her as a "thank you," it was pretty perfect. I even emailed the craigslist seller to give her closure on the surprise and she was very happy for us.
Old 02-12-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
I'd go with eBay over Craigslist.
I'd go with meeting a stranger in a dark alley over Craigslist.