Reload this Page >

Home security system

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Home security system

Old 11-16-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home security system

I saw a couple topics kind of about this, but none overly recent (aside from a fire alarm one), so hopefully this thread's fine...

So there have been a couple break-ins in the are over the past year, and we're thinking of getting something. Does anyone here have a service, and what do you think of it? I think ADT is the big one, the one that has 3 ads a week in the papers and such. All we've really got to worry about is one large front window, a sidelight, and the front door. Easy enough I think.

We've also got a cat.. so I don't know how that would figure into the equation of motion sensors!
Old 11-16-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Home security system

Problem solved.

Old 11-16-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, we can have one cat and/or dog. But one cat is enough for us. We're in a condo, thus the only thing we can have in our windows even is one security sticker. Pretty stupid-strict rules there.
Old 11-16-11, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

[obligatory] VMS Alarms is a scam! [/obligatory]

Last edited by Numanoid; 11-16-11 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-16-11, 12:05 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post

Problem solved.

Riley Poole: We have thirty seconds to disable the alarm.
Ben Gates: Go.
[Ben and Riley break into a house and Riley disables the alarm]
Ben Gates: You did that in twenty-five seconds.
Riley Poole: That's why I tell people to get a dog.
Old 11-16-11, 12:21 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-26...1464071&sr=8-1
Old 11-16-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

We have brinks, which is now ADT. IT is like $25/month and we have 2 entry points with alarm pads, and 2 glass break detectors near windows. We also had a motion sensor, but it was too sensitive and we just hit motion off when we arm the house.
Our neighborhood isn't "unsafe," but it makes my wife feel better to be able to arm the house if she is home alone or if there are crack head kids hanging out across the street. Sometimes random idiots take short cuts through our yard and across the deck and it freaks her out. I saw a kid run through and i went out to yell and shake my broom, but the fucker was too fast and i haven't seen him since.

The alarm makes us feel better when we are away for a week or a weekend as well. SO i definitely think it is worth it.
Old 11-16-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ivelostr2 View Post
Sometimes random idiots take short cuts through our yard and across the deck and it freaks her out. I saw a kid run through and i went out to yell and shake my broom, but the fucker was too fast and i haven't seen him since.
That was one of the greatest joys of being a kid, hopping fences and taking shortcuts through people's yards. As an adult, I don't like it either, but I did it as a kid, so why fight it, ya know? Kids being kids. However, anyone old enough to shave should know better.
Old 11-16-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We have ADT. They put sensors on our front door, our door to the garage, and our slider on the back of the house, as well as a motion sensor. They were always great with responding to events. However, they have never once responded to a problem with the system. If there's a problem I always had to call them. At one point I had let the problem go on for a while (lazy) and finally called them... I then realized that the problem was that we had disabled our land line which is what ADT uses to monitor the system! So the signal from our house goes away completely and they don't even call to confirm or anything! What if the line had been cut specifically to disable that service? Shouldn't they know when they lose signal to one of their systems? (Oh, and they still charged us monitoring fees for the whole time the system had no way of being monitored.)

They said that they can install a wireless system, but it would cost something like an extra $100 plus an additional monthly fee. We pay around $40 for the monitoring, and if you want window sensors they charge extra for those. They also only provide one motion sensor but you can pay more to get additional ones. (We only got one, so if someone comes in the back bedroom window and sticks to the hallway without going into the main room, then they can take whatever they want and never set an alarm off.
Old 11-16-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a watch animal, get a goose. They hate everybody.
Old 11-16-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is it that time to add another Vms alarms is a scam thread?

And yes, i knew i was beaten to it, but the more the merrier.
Old 11-16-11, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
That was one of the greatest joys of being a kid, hopping fences and taking shortcuts through people's yards. As an adult, I don't like it either, but I did it as a kid, so why fight it, ya know? Kids being kids. However, anyone old enough to shave should know better.
yeah, my rule is kinda 12 and under, they can ride through the lawn, use any dirt piles as jumps, and hang out under the tree as long as they clean up any mess they leave...but the guy who i went out to yell at was in his early 20s...ridiculous.
Old 11-16-11, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ivelostr2 View Post
yeah, my rule is kinda 12 and under, they can ride through the lawn, use any dirt piles as jumps, and hang out under the tree as long as they clean up any mess they leave...but the guy who i went out to yell at was in his early 20s...ridiculous.
To avoid the "hey kids, get the hell off my lawn!" jibes, I put up signs that said "Please don't walk on me ... I'm trying to grow" after I had seeded the yard last year. The kids were really nice about it. Of course, that's because they know I give out decent candy at Halloween.
Old 11-16-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What is VMS..? And by the sounds of it, will not having a land line be an issue...?

Thanks for the thoughts so far!
Old 11-16-11, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
[obligatory] VMS Alarams is a scam! [/obligatory]
Damn it! Being at work all day without access sucks. As soon as I saw the thread title, my first thought was "Oooooh, I want to be the one that mentions that VMS Alarms is a scam!" and then saw not only was I not first, but fairly far from it.
Old 11-17-11, 03:31 AM
Uber Member

If you find a good company, then there are motion sensors designed to work with pets. They aren't perfect though. You might consider a system that uses audio or video to confirm alarms, though that would obviously cost more.

Originally Posted by C-Mart View Post
At one point I had let the problem go on for a while (lazy) and finally called them... I then realized that the problem was that we had disabled our land line which is what ADT uses to monitor the system! So the signal from our house goes away completely and they don't even call to confirm or anything! What if the line had been cut specifically to disable that service? Shouldn't they know when they lose signal to one of their systems? (Oh, and they still charged us monitoring fees for the whole time the system had no way of being monitored.)
The alarm panels can be set up to send a 24 hour check if no other signals (arm/disarm) were sent to the central station during that same period, so they would know within a 24 hour period if you lost connection to the central station. Whether your panel or central monitoring station are set up to do that I don't know. I'm surprised your keypad didn't tell you your line was down though.

If your contract doesn't mention anything about a 24 hour check or line monitoring, then they will likely say it is your duty to inform them of changes you make that make the system inoperable. You can counter that anyone can cut the phone line, but they probably offered you a cellular backup option when they made their sales pitch, which I assume you declined.

If you're really concerned, you could check with your local police to see how common cut phone lines are. In my experience, they are pretty rare and usually done by pros who are targeting a business or high end home. Even cell backup can be jammed though.

They said that they can install a wireless system, but it would cost something like an extra $100 plus an additional monthly fee. We pay around $40 for the monitoring, and if you want window sensors they charge extra for those. They also only provide one motion sensor but you can pay more to get additional ones. (We only got one, so if someone comes in the back bedroom window and sticks to the hallway without going into the main room, then they can take whatever they want and never set an alarm off.
Given their track record on service and setting up some of the system status monitoring features, I'd be a bit concerned about the integrity of your system and whether it was a good idea to stick with them. But if you value security enough to pay a monthly fee already, I would at least make sure the perimeter access to your home was covered. Then again, I don't know why'd they'd install a system (on purpose) that doesn't protect that point of entry unless it's not that easy to get to.