Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Bank of America strikes again

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Bank of America strikes again

Old 11-15-11, 02:12 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 13,999
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bank of America strikes again

Amount of check sent to me by my dr's office in reimbursement for overpaid account: $40.00
Bank it was drawn on: Bank of America
Distance from my office of the nearest BoA branch: 3 blocks
Distance from my office of the nearest branch of my credit union: 5 miles
Service charge demanded by BofA to cash check: 6 dollars
(Yes, they really wanted me to kick back part of a check THEY ISSUED)

Did I do it? Yes. Here's why:

Satisfaction quotient for paying $6 to tell someone you can understand why they're probably going to be unemployed sooner than later because they work for a bunch of thieves: PRICELESS.

P.S. to those who will claim that since I'm critical of OWS this makes me a hypocrite--never said I don't agree change is necessary. I just disagree with how OWS is trying to effect that change.

Old 11-15-11, 02:16 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 22,782
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

I don't get it.

You paid $6 to tell some poor bank teller who makes less than you do that she'll soon be unemployed because her corporate bosses are thieves?

Most people just yell invective at the clerk and walk away without spending the money.
Old 11-15-11, 02:19 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 13,999
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I don't get it.

You paid $6 to tell some poor bank teller who makes less than you do that she'll soon be unemployed because her corporate bosses are thieves?

Most people just yell invective at the clerk and walk away without spending the money.
No. I paid $6 to tell HIM that. And those weren't my exact words, but hey.

I told him I wasn't surprised people were pulling out their money left and right, and to enjoy his job while it lasts.

It was WORTH the six bucks, and I didn't have any security guards escorting me out the door for screaming invective at him.
Old 11-15-11, 02:29 PM
  #4  
Political Exile
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 15,066
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

Since when do banks charge you to cash a check drawn on them? When I worked as a teller at Wachovia that wasn't SOP.

Also, your comment would have just made me roll my eyes.
Old 11-15-11, 02:31 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 13,999
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

He can roll his eyes all he wants. Like Nick Danger said, I make more money than him and I'll still have a job when BofA is gasping its last.
Old 11-15-11, 02:31 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

this is why the big banks aren't going out of business

Distance from my office of the nearest BoA branch: 3 blocks
Distance from my office of the nearest branch of my credit union: 5 miles
Old 11-15-11, 02:31 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Nefarious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: In the Middle
Posts: 5,266
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Bank of America strikes again

Shit, for $5 you can tell me I may be unemployed at some point in the future.
Old 11-15-11, 02:36 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,462
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
paying $6 to tell someone you can understand why they're probably going to be unemployed sooner than later because they work for a bunch of thieves.
Considering BOA is the 2nd largest bank in America, I doubt they're going out of business anytime soon!
Old 11-15-11, 02:39 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Bronkster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AnaheimLand, SoCal
Posts: 15,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

I have been planning for a few months to leave BoA - after being a valued customer since 1976 - when they refused to work with me on redoing my mortgage (They said I didn't qualify for a 4% lower rate than I currently had - How can I not qualify for something that eases the payments I've been diligently making?). So, got a mortgage (with the rate they wouldn't give me) so they no longer own my house. Next, I paid off my BoA credit card and have been enjoying the ZERO balance when I go online to view my checking account (which is the 3rd and last step to disassociate myself from them). But suddenly, my CC balance is over $80! They charged interest on a zero balance! Yes, I understand the interest is calculated on a daily basis, and yadda yadda yadda. But it still pissed me off. And this is after their screwing around the impound (refund) from the mortgage (I swear, if I hadn't called to see what was going on, they would've simply ignored that they hadn't sent it yet - and then they told me to wait 7 more business days to mail me a check I should've had a week before!)

I'm going to call and bitch about the interest just because I feel they should accept a PAID IN FULL as paid in full. Bastards.
Old 11-15-11, 02:44 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

so did you find anyone to give you the mortgage rate you want?
Old 11-15-11, 02:50 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,206
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

You should have tried to cash the check, then bitched when told you'd have to cough up $6 and said forget it - and deposit in your bank. You'd still get to bitch - for free.
Old 11-15-11, 02:52 PM
  #12  
Political Exile
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 15,066
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
I have been planning for a few months to leave BoA - after being a valued customer since 1976 - when they refused to work with me on redoing my mortgage (They said I didn't qualify for a 4% lower rate than I currently had - How can I not qualify for something that eases the payments I've been diligently making?). So, got a mortgage (with the rate they wouldn't give me) so they no longer own my house. Next, I paid off my BoA credit card and have been enjoying the ZERO balance when I go online to view my checking account (which is the 3rd and last step to disassociate myself from them). But suddenly, my CC balance is over $80! They charged interest on a zero balance! Yes, I understand the interest is calculated on a daily basis, and yadda yadda yadda. But it still pissed me off. And this is after their screwing around the impound (refund) from the mortgage (I swear, if I hadn't called to see what was going on, they would've simply ignored that they hadn't sent it yet - and then they told me to wait 7 more business days to mail me a check I should've had a week before!)

I'm going to call and bitch about the interest just because I feel they should accept a PAID IN FULL as paid in full. Bastards.
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
so did you find anyone to give you the mortgage rate you want?
See how reading works?
Old 11-15-11, 02:59 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

Originally Posted by clappj View Post
Considering BOA is the 2nd largest bank in America, I doubt they're going out of business anytime soon!
They aren't going anywhere.

They made an extra 6 bucks is all.
Old 11-15-11, 03:06 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 12,702
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

Congratulations. You spoke your mind to someone who has absolutely no control over the state of the company and is probably only doing what they can to make ends meat like the rest of us. You are quite the revolutionary.
Old 11-15-11, 03:18 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
movie diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,365
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

Its not just Bank of America and I think they are evil, Chase charges $7.00, to cash a check if you don't have an account there, and this has been going on for years. I would have went the extra 2 miles to the credit union.
Old 11-15-11, 03:21 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

They probably laughed at you when you left.
Old 11-15-11, 03:27 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,916
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

I haven't cashed a check in years. I thought only low-income people did that.
Old 11-15-11, 03:31 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 12,702
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I haven't cashed a check in years. I thought only low-income people did that.
Old 11-15-11, 03:37 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 13,999
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I haven't cashed a check in years. I thought only low-income people did that.
A low-income person would have snatched back the check and taken it down the street to Walmart and probably paid a lot less to cash it because they really needed the money. I was just after a little lunch and gas money and it was a windfall.
Old 11-15-11, 03:41 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,462
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
They probably laughed at you when you left.
Why wait?
Old 11-15-11, 03:43 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 18,313
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

I hate to be a dick but al_bundy is right, this is exactly why they aren't going out of business. You were inconvenienced and you thought their policy was rediculous and you paid them anyway! This is like a microcosm of OWS. You got angry and gave them a piece of your mind but in the end you played by their rules and gave them your money. The banks have thick skin, your words don't hurt them. If they had to listen to abuse 12 hours a day while collecting $6 fees the whole time they'd do it with a smile on their face.
Old 11-15-11, 04:21 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Vibiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 13,999
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I hate to be a dick but al_bundy is right, this is exactly why they aren't going out of business. You were inconvenienced and you thought their policy was rediculous and you paid them anyway! This is like a microcosm of OWS. You got angry and gave them a piece of your mind but in the end you played by their rules and gave them your money. The banks have thick skin, your words don't hurt them. If they had to listen to abuse 12 hours a day while collecting $6 fees the whole time they'd do it with a smile on their face.
Maybe so. And you're right that I can't have much of an impact on them because I'm not an accountholder. But I never will be, and everybody I know who holds an account with them has either closed it or is going to because of their actions with the $5 debit fee, etc. And I've contacted the doctor's office who wrote me the check to let them know that Bank of America is refusing to honor the face value of the instruments they issue.
Old 11-15-11, 04:37 PM
  #23  
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
mbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,519
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again



I'm not sure why you didn't just do an ATM deposit. Given that you insulted the teller's hypothetical salary in this thread, I'm assuming you don't need the money right away... this makes no sense.

However, it also makes no sense at all why they would charge to cash a check drawn on their bank.
Old 11-15-11, 04:39 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

So, someone gave you $40, and you turned it into $34.

Awesome.
Old 11-15-11, 04:45 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bank of America strikes again

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
So, someone gave you $40, and you turned it into $34.

Awesome.
Yeah, but someday that teller might not have a job!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.