Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Ice Cream of the Future no more... Dippin' Dots files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Old 11-04-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ice Cream of the Future no more... Dippin' Dots files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Dippin' Dots Melts: Deals to Watch
By Antoine Gara 11/04/11 - 10:54 AM EDT

NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Dippin' Dots Friday filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in a U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Paducah, Ky - after struggling to fend off foreclosure efforts by Regions Financial(RF) as a result of a $11.1 million debt.

The inventor of "the ice cream of the future", will draw up a reorganization plan for its finances and operations to continue manufacturing its novelty bead-based ice cream products that are a hit at theme parks, concert halls and stadiums.

In its filing, the company listed assets of $20.2 million and debt of $12 million.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11300...-to-watch.html

<hr>

Perhaps if they had distributed the ice cream outside of amusement parks and stadiums, they would not be in trouble.
Old 11-04-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Ice Cream of the Future no more... Dippin' Dots files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

The Pet Rock of Ice Cream confections. Too bad they didn't know when to cash in and quit.
Old 11-04-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Ice Cream of the Future no more... Dippin' Dots files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

I never cared for Dippin' Dots anyway. They looked cool but it was like sticking little rounds ice bits in my mouth. Not as creamy as I would have expected.

They never really mass marketed the stuff either. I'm guessing it is the process in which Dippin' Dots are made but aside from sporting events I never saw the stuff.
Old 11-04-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I crew up near Paducah, and people liked to talk about how awesome it was, especially since it was a local person "done good", but then they'd just go to Baskin-Robbins or even McDonald's for their ice cream. It always seemed to me to be too much of a niche item to support an entire company.
Old 11-04-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whenever I see an actual Dippin's Dots store it's alway empty. Amusments parks is thier bread and butter I would guess.
Old 11-04-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't they have a vending machine for it?
Old 11-04-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

^^ I never knew there were actual Dippin' Dots stores.
Old 11-04-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There were vendor carts in the low budget sections of malls.
Old 11-04-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
^^ I never knew there were actual Dippin' Dots stores.
At beaches typically.
Old 11-04-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

They were cool (heh) but too expensive to be anything other than a curiosity. Can't remember the last time I had a cup of Dots.
Old 11-04-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i can't figure out how a cold stone creamery stays in business since no one buys the product when it's not hot
Old 11-04-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get these at Knott's sometimes. Decent stuff, but they aren't better than actual ice cream.
Old 11-04-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only got this at the ballpark with my kids. Not a big fan of the consistency.

at the thread title
Old 11-04-11, 12:48 PM

I like 'em. Hope they don't go out of business.
Old 11-04-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i can't figure out how a cold stone creamery stays in business since no one buys the product when it's not hot
I've seen plenty of people at a Cold Stone in the winter. People love to grill outside in the summer. Go figure.
Old 11-04-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

strange, they just came out with a home do it yourself kit for kids:
Old 11-04-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, I've never had a cup of dots. I never figured I was missing too much.
Old 11-04-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
strange, they just came out with a home do it yourself kit for kids:

Not very good reviews though...
Old 11-04-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think one problem is that they're just not good for inside businesses. I saw them for a while at a couple movie theaters and that's about it. The mess must be unbelievable. They would be great outside..amusement parks, beaches, sporting events, etc, but places like movie theaters, bowling centers, indoor entertainment centers must suck. It's one thing to spill some ice cream...you just clean up the pile of mess. Those little dots must fall on the floor constantly and never get cleaned up. After a little while the carpet must be a joke.
Old 11-04-11, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had to restock these vending machines at my old theatre. I did that twice before making underlings restock it from then on. Messy, nasty and never-working, those vending machines.
Old 11-04-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Perhaps if they had distributed the ice cream outside of amusement parks and stadiums, they would not be in trouble.
There were a couple of Dippin' Dots storefronts in my neighborhood that closed. I never saw anyone go in and I never knew what they were. I assumed there were some specialty donut place.
Old 11-04-11, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
People still buy the product.
Old 11-04-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The first great victory of the Occupy Wall Street movement.
Old 11-04-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I had no idea this was a KY thing. I've never had more than a free sample, the prices just seemed way to high.
Old 11-04-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
I think one problem is that they're just not good for inside businesses. I saw them for a while at a couple movie theaters and that's about it. The mess must be unbelievable. They would be great outside..amusement parks, beaches, sporting events, etc, but places like movie theaters, bowling centers, indoor entertainment centers must suck. It's one thing to spill some ice cream...you just clean up the pile of mess. Those little dots must fall on the floor constantly and never get cleaned up. After a little while the carpet must be a joke.
I remember taking my kids and father-in-law to a baseball game and getting Dots. He had motor difficulties from his Parkinson's and ended up dropping his on the ground and stepping through it. Those were pretty tough times for him, and I think we went to the game because my wife and mother-in-law were taking a girls' weekend off just because my MIL needed a break from being the constant caregiver.

My father-in-law is gone now, and remembering this story just made me really sad. Sorry to ruin the thread.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.