Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Prescription strength sauerkraut available over the counter (and it's free @ Costco)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Costco Sauerkraut
I knew about it, and I ask for it.
20.00%
I knew about it, but I still don't ask for it.
6.67%
I did not know about it, but I would like to try it.
13.33%
I did not know about it and still will not ask for it.
10.00%
I am not a Costco member and also do not go there for meals.
36.67%
Twikoff smothered in sauerkraut? Count me in him.
13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Prescription strength sauerkraut available over the counter (and it's free @ Costco)

Old 11-03-11, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just enjoyed what I consider the best lunch deal around (huge Hot Dog plus Soda for $1.50).

I do miss the Hebrew Nationals on there, but it's still good.

It got me wondering how many people miss out on the sauerkraut option simply because they don't know about it.

That's right... when you order your hot dog or polish dog, just ask for sauerkraut and you'll get a side of plenty to add as a topping.

Don't knockwurst it until you try it.

Discuss.
Old 11-03-11, 06:11 PM

Re: Prescription strength sauerkraut available over the counter (and it's free @ Cost

Spoiler:
Sour Kraut
Old 11-03-11, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Prescription strength sauerkraut available over the counter (and it's free @ Cost

I miss funny Groucho.....
Old 11-03-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No Costcos in this area but bratwurst are very popular around here and most people use kraut on them. Personally I think it's one of the most vile things on earth, right next to pickles.
Old 11-03-11, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So you're one of those people that eats at Costco, eh? I always feel so sad when I exit and see the obvious shame on the face of every single person who chose the Costco cafeteria as their dining-out choice for the evening.
Old 11-03-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
So you're one of those people that eats at Costco, eh? I always feel so sad when I exit and see the obvious shame on the face of every single person who chose the Costco cafeteria as their dining-out choice for the evening.
I don't think I've ever had dinner there (though I have taken pizza home). You should hang your head in shame and try a churro sometime.
Old 11-03-11, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude, my Costco has churros! Munching on one of those while you wait in a gridlocked line to have someone double-check nothing was stolen is the only way to put up with that mess.
Old 11-03-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure they look for expensive items not on the receipt, but they also thankfully check for duplicate items together on the receipt in case something was double-scanned at the checkout.
Old 11-03-11, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No doubt that the hotdog/drink is a great deal and, yes, I've gotten the kraut with it. It made me sad when I realized over time that I actually don't like their hotdogs. They've never had the Hebrew Nationals in my area of town over the period of my sampling their food. I do really like their pizza and that's a great deal too.
Old 11-03-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes i've known about it. The only reason they don't put it out is that it reeks. Love it though. It's like German kimchi.
Old 11-03-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We don't have Cosco around here, but I am a member of Sam's club. I've never had a hot dog there, but they have individual Frank's Kraut packets out with the condiments. I know because I often pocket a couple to take home.

I can recommend the pizza at Sam's, as long as it's somewhat fresh. They also have a great deal on frozen dough balls by the case. Twenty 24oz dough balls for about $15. Meanwhile the local supermarkets charge $2-3 for 16-20oz balls.
Old 11-03-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The hot dogs at Sams Club rule! Our local one has chili dogs with chili from a local chain. Can't beat it for an under $2 break (with giant drink).

Not a fan of the kraut, but I loves me some onions from the wheely-grindy-dispenser thing.
Old 11-03-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Time tO go beat my wife for letting the costco membership expire
Old 11-03-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Time tO go beat my wife for letting the costco membership expire
When you're done, you can go there and renew any time. No hurry, make it count.
Old 11-03-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Sarge and I are laughing over this because she loves sauerkraut and I hate it. I have a feeling we'll be going to Costco this weekend, even though I'm not out of cat food or litter.

By the way, if you haven't had the hand dipped chocolate almond ice cream bar, you are missing out on an orgasmic treat.
Old 11-03-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow I actually had a discussion about this today with a co-worker. She was telling me you can still get it over the counter. I'm going to get a Polish dog with sauerkraut tomorrow.
Old 11-03-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Yeah it is pretty sad that the only place a family of three can eat for under $10.00 in 2011 is Costco. But I don't feel any less shameful eating there then at the Target cafeteria!
Old 11-03-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Sauerkraut is like some took a fart and cut it into a million little strings, then doused it in vinegar.
Old 11-03-11, 09:25 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I do really like their pizza and that's a great deal too.
Strange...
Old 11-03-11, 09:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I get that dog/soda deal a few times a year for lunch. Thanks for telling me about the sauerkraut option, I think that will increase my visits.

FWIW al bundy, active membership not required to browse the store or buy from the cafe. Just need a card (even if expired) to get in.
Old 11-03-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by X View Post
Strange...
Yes. I like myself. I really like myself.
Old 11-03-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I get that dog/soda deal a few times a year for lunch. Thanks for telling me about the sauerkraut option, I think that will increase my visits.

FWIW al bundy, active membership not required to browse the store or buy from the cafe. Just need a card (even if expired) to get in.
you don't even need a membership card, just get someone to buy you a Costco cash card or buy a cash ,card on ebay. you can go in and buy stuff with just a cash card, no membership,though it does need supervisor approval at the checkout line. One time I went into Costco with just a cash card, the old man at the door asked me if I had a membership card, I said no. Then he asked if the cash card had any money on it.
Old 11-03-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We attempted to get into a costco once, but was accosted at the door and was sent right back out because we didn't have a membership. We said we just wanted to go in and look around before we bought a membership, the old geezer was not swayed and off we went.

Now we just have a BJ's membership.

There really isn't a costco close enough to us now anyway.
Old 11-04-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Yes. I like myself. I really like myself.
Old 11-04-11, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Yeah it is pretty sad that the only place a family of three can eat for under $10.00 in 2011 is Costco. But I don't feel any less shameful eating there then at the Target cafeteria!
In all my years, I've never seen anyone (other than Target employees) eating at the Target cafes. Yet I know someone must, otherwise they would stop building them.

And I'm not knocking the cheap food at Costco. I am knocking the choice of eating it there and letting that be your dining experience (perhaps not so coincidentally, the one by me has the cafeteria right next to the coffin display). Seriously, take a look at the folks that sit and eat at Costco. They have "I've given up on life" written all over their faces. It seriously does make me sad as I walk by. There is no joy in the Costco cafeteria.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.