Reload this Page >

Tell me about hospice care

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-31-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The next door neighbors are a sweet elderly couple. We're good friends. For the last two years, the wife has been too ill to leave the house.

Yesterday their nurse rang our doorbell and told us that an ambulance is coming to take her to an in-care hospice. The husband is spending the night there.

Has anyone had experience with hospice care?
Old 10-31-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tell me about hospice care

Only experience has been with in-home hospice. they basically try and make you as pain free as possible for the last few days/weeks.
Old 10-31-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What information are you looking for? It tends to be somewhat miserable, a reflection not of the care, but the circumstances.
Old 10-31-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My dad had hospice care but it was in-home. My sister lived close by and would have better information if you need specifics. All I know if my mom thought they were wonderful and really helped her out. They even were there at his service.
Old 10-31-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They are wonderful indeed. It takes a special sort of person to endure that kind of work.
Old 10-31-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I've heard nothing but praise for hospice (in-home, in particular). Great people doing a job that can't be easy (or fun in the least).
Old 10-31-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My dad had a hospice nurse coming in twice a week over the last month or so of his life and she was wonderful. When he took a turn for the worse at the end we took him to an in-care hospice and it was a miserable experience. The staff were completely unhelpful and unresponsive. I stayed the night with him but we brought him back home the next day because the only thing the hospice facility was providing was a room.
Old 10-31-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Family friend was dying of cancer very quickly. He went to hospice, which was like a group home of 4 clients and a married couple that took care of them. I think of them as the place you go when you know you are not long for the world, but that may be incorrect. They seem far better than what I think of as nursing homes.
Old 10-31-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My mom had in-home hospice care the last few months of her life. The people who cared for her were angels. I have nothing but praise for them.

I am not familiar with inpatient hospice care but would imagine that it's the same as with long-term care facilities--some are great and some are not. I do hope your neighbors' experience is a good one.
Old 10-31-11, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The nurse that has been visiting our neighbor is, indeed, a sweet person. She had tears in her eyes when she came over (at the neighbor's request) to ask us to keep an eye on the house, since no one would be there overnight.

I wanted to say goodbye to her, as the medical transport people were taking her out, but she didn't seem quite alert, so I didn't.

I suspect her husband (in his 80's) won't last long. I think he's been hanging on just to care for his wife. He's one of those people who always acts perky and cheerful, but I think he's tired.
Old 10-31-11, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just visited a friend on Friday who is in Hospice care, not in-home care. It was the kind of place that I'd want to be, if I were terminally ill, and I honestly mean that. My friend can have his dogs in his room to visit, he has a nice patio area, and the nurses are extremely attentive and friendly.

They had lots of areas for entertainment for the patients, including a piano, TV lounge, food via donations. My friend asked for Mountain Dew, which they didn't have, but they told him they'd bring it for him the next day.

All-in-all, I was impressed. It doesn't have much of a "hospital feel" at all.
Old 10-31-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
The nurse that has been visiting our neighbor is, indeed, a sweet person. She had tears in her eyes when she came over (at the neighbor's request) to ask us to keep an eye on the house, since no one would be there overnight.

I wanted to say goodbye to her, as the medical transport people were taking her out, but she didn't seem quite alert, so I didn't.

I suspect her husband (in his 80's) won't last long. I think he's been hanging on just to care for his wife. He's one of those people who always acts perky and cheerful, but I think he's tired.
I didn't think my dad would last long either, but seven and a half years later, he's still around. He did collapse and was hospitalized a few days after Mom died, though--the stress of caring for her, even with help, really wore him down.
Old 10-31-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In hospital hospice is usually only for a few days and if special medicine requirements are needed unless the person just doesn't have someone to watch them. Otherwise it's in-home care. I've seen both and they are both good.
Old 11-01-11, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My father-in-law had in-home hospice care, and at the time I didn't realize exactly what it meant. Agreed that it takes a special kind of person to do that work.
Old 11-01-11, 09:44 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My dad was in hospice for a few days before he died (cancer). The hospice we went to was much like a tiny hospital, but still a lot more home-like than a hospital (nice walking gardens, etc). Essentially they kept him "comfortable" (meaning doped up on morphine) until he passed. After his chemotherapy failed, he had in house hospice for a week or two and then the last maybe two days was in the in-patient hospice.

I'm amazed that anyone could do that job as a hospice nurse/worker. Essentially everyone who comes into the place is dying and will die there... pretty somber job, but amazingly the atmosphere never reflected that.
Old 11-01-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mbs View Post
My dad was in hospice for a few days before he died (cancer). The hospice we went to was much like a tiny hospital, but still a lot more home-like than a hospital (nice walking gardens, etc). Essentially they kept him "comfortable" (meaning doped up on morphine) until he passed. After his chemotherapy failed, he had in house hospice for a week or two and then the last maybe two days was in the in-patient hospice.

I'm amazed that anyone could do that job as a hospice nurse/worker. Essentially everyone who comes into the place is dying and will die there... pretty somber job, but amazingly the atmosphere never reflected that.
My mother was an RN and several of her nurse friends from younger generations are in hospice work. One of them pretty much summed up her reason for choosing that field by saying that she had spent her early career as an oncology nurse, caring for people who were in horrible pain and deterioration from cancer. As a hospice nurse, she was able to relieve pain with medication and help people have a peaceful death. I asked her once which patients bothered her most and she said younger people and older people who die with "unfinished business" about their children or friends and family. But she said those cases were a clear minority and most people in hospice become calm and ready to go.