Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Small business online accounting/tax planning service?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 10-27-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

I am currently running a small business, but don't have a CPA or any of that mess. Just a bank account with a bunch of transactions, a file full of paper, and several part time people that I pay out. It is my first year actually running the business end of things & tax time is approaching.

I am in search of a quality online service to meet my needs. I don't think I need full bookkeeping services. Really what I want is someone who will do my taxes and also advise me (hand-hold me) on strategy to lower my taxes and help me with year end employee filings, etc.

Doing a google search brings back so many results, it's mind boggling. I don't want to go with some completely automated service like H&R Block or Turbo Tax or whatever (this seems to be the majority of the Google results). I want a more personalized experience, but one that is 100% online, where I upload whatever documents they need and we communicate via email and perhaps an occasional phone call. I'm hoping some of you can recommend good such services that don't cost an arm and a leg, as my revenue is not in the millions.

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-27-11, 04:47 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Small business online accounting/tax planning service?

You need a CPA. Check out your local CPA firms. Most are willing to work with your need. Like said if you just need minimum recommendation or consulting services, they'll charge you by the hour or by the incident. Most CPA firms work with small businesses as the Big Four are pretty much the only provider for the giant corporations. They know small business won't be able to commit to a big contract, rather most are willing to do customize services cater to your need. It never hurts to check it out, the amount of services they'll willing to provide and the fee they charge. Upfront fee will probably the biggest fee you'll have to consider, as it takes time for anybody to get a good understanding how a business is run and look over all the logistics. Once they have your "permanent file", it'll just be per incident charge or per hour consulting fee.

Also consider, if you setup your business right administratively from the get go. It'll save you thousands in the future in both time and money to have to fix what was done incorrectly years past, not to mention the potential penalty.
Old 10-27-11, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 159 Likes on 113 Posts

yeah, definitely get a CPA.
Old 10-27-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup...CPA. There's really no other choice when you're actually running a small business. My brother is a CPA (although he originally passed the exam 15 years ago) and I'm well versed in accounting although I never took the CPA exam and we use a "real" CPA for our tax stuff. It's just too complicated and we don't want to risk making a mistake.
Old 10-27-11, 05:11 PM
Suspended

Heck, I'm a CPA and I would still consult a CPA firm if I was running my own business. There are just too many issues a business would run into on a normal course.
Old 10-27-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Find a local CPA that lets you upload documents.

When shit goes down you want someone with an office you can go to.
Old 10-27-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks guys. Are there any CPAs you can recommend that work exclusively online? That's really what I'm looking for as my business is an online business and I am extremely mobile (moving a lot).
Old 10-27-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you still have a guitar?
Old 10-27-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes!