Reload this Page >

some selling-on-ebay questions

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-27-11, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

background: i have never sold on ebay...only bought. i have a low rating of around 10 (all positive) all due to my occasional purchases over the last 7-8 years or so.

a) is my low rating going to hurt my chances of people bidding? can people tell if my rating is only due to buying things and not selling?

b) what im trying to sell is an entertainment center - its large and i cannot ship it. can i limit bidders to local people only? if i make it very clear its not shippable am i still going to get bidders who email me afterwards going "oh i didnt know! i want to cancel my bid!!!" is it possible to make "no shipping - pickup only" an option?

c) can I put the item on craigslist at the same time and if it sells there, can i cancel my auction at anytime? or is that not allowed/frowned upon?

d) how much will i owe to ebay if i dont get any bids? or do you only pay fees if there is at least one bid? is the fee based upon final price sold?

thanks.
Old 10-27-11, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: some selling-on-ebay questions

Just put it on Craigslist.
Old 10-27-11, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with The Bus.
Old 10-27-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Skip ebay, its going to be too much hassle. Stick to craigslist
Old 10-27-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As others have said, go with craigslist

For the questions, if people want to, they can see how your feedback was received, whether buyer or seller, but its not going to be big flashing neon lights. Someone will see your 10 feedback and just bid, some will see 10 feedback and drill down.

In shipping options when you create your listing I believe you can select local pickup or something of that sort, Ive seen it on other auctions.

Put the disclaimer in your description that you can end auction at any time, then do it.

You get 50 free insertions per month for auction style listings or its a 50 cent insertion fee for buy it now listings
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html
Old 10-27-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebay is a toxic place to sell stuff. I'd recommend Craigslist. But remember that if you do sell on eBay, you must treat everyone like they're the dumbest person on the planet.

A. It probably won't matter. Especially since the buyer will be stopping by your house to pickup.

B. That's not hard. Just say "local pickup only" when you choose shipping options. Of course, if it's a nice entertainment center, you might get dummies who don't know better bidding on it.

C. Yes, you can cancel the listing. But not within the last 12 or 24 hours (I forget which it is).

D. If it doesn't sell, it's around $2-$5-or-so each time to you.