Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

In today's enlightening age, do you still (sometimes) drink & drive?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do You Still Sometimes Drink & Drive?
Yes, sometimes I do
21.43%
No, never!
78.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be the first (or last) honest person - yes, I still do, on occasion. Am I wrong for doing it? The law says I'm wrong. The law says I am a Manslaughter-wannabe.

One thing I don't do is get behind the wheel when I'm completely shitfaced. Is there a fine line there? Probably. Do I give a shit? Not really. Have I killed anyone yet? No, but of course accidents can happen. Am I a douchebag? Maaaaybeeee.
Old 10-26-11, 11:07 AM
Political Exile

Re: In today's enlightening age, do you still (sometimes) drink & drive?

Never
Old 10-26-11, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FYI - as evil and misguided I may be, I never take a sip if I'm driving kids around. I'll only do drugs if I do that.
Old 10-26-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

To me, drunk driving is on par with drivers who:

- text or talk on the phone
- listen to loud music
- eat or drink
- should have gotten more sleep
- flick cigarette butts out the window / litter

Lawn, get off, etc.
Old 10-26-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to drive buzzed. Then my friend got hit with a DUI (I was not with him that night) that basically fucked his whole life up - license revoked, probation, classes, huge fine, car impounded, etc.

Plus, if I ever hit someone and ruined their life, I'd never be able to live with myself.

I'll never drink and drive again.
Old 10-26-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III View Post

- listen to loud music
- eat or drink
- flick cigarette butts out the window
I don't smoke, so......

SOMEBODY REVOLK MY DRIVING PRIVILEGES!!! and right quick!
Old 10-26-11, 11:22 AM

Never! That would be irresponsible. I'd elaborate, but I need to post this now so I can change lanes.
Old 10-26-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker View Post
I'll be the first (or last) honest person - yes, I still do, on occasion. Am I wrong for doing it? The law says I'm wrong. The law says I am a Manslaughter-wannabe.

One thing I don't do is get behind the wheel when I'm completely shitfaced. Is there a fine line there? Probably. Do I give a shit? Not really. Have I killed anyone yet? No, but of course accidents can happen. Am I a douchebag? Maaaaybeeee.
I'm an honest person too and the answer is - No.

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III View Post

- listen to loud music
- eat or drink
- flick cigarette butts out the window / litter

Lawn, get off, etc.
I don't totally agree with your list. Being drunk is worse than most of those things except maybe "text" which I feel is on par if not worse. I'm not saying the other things don't cause accidents, they certainly can, but being drunk is a whole other level.
Old 10-26-11, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

SOMEBODY REVOLK MY DRIVING POSTING PRIVILEGES!!! and right quick!
fixed.
Old 10-26-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I roughly know how I feel at the 0.08 BAC mark. I'd never drive at or above that level. I have driven below that before and have no problem doing that.

Even at 0.08 I feel completely fine but I don't want to risk anything. I'm not worried about getting pulled over though. Even if I do feel completely fine there's still a chance of an accident or hitting someone and if I'm "drunk" when it happens I'm screwed. Just not worth it.
Old 10-26-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe? In my eyes everybody who drinks and drives is a douche bag. Thanks for the disregard of your fellow DVDTalkers who could be out there too.

Old 10-26-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about if your that special kind of drunk where you're a better driver because you know you're drunk? You know, the kind of drunk where you probably shouldn't drive, but you do anyway because, I mean, come on, you got to get your car home. Right? I mean, I mean, what do they expect me to do, take a bus? Is that what they want? For me to take a bus? Well, screw that! You take a bus.
Old 10-26-11, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkUSA View Post
Maybe? In my eyes everybody who drinks and drives is a douche bag. Thanks for the disregard of your fellow DVDTalkers who could be out there too.

A drunk driver killed somebody I cared about. This was more than 25 years ago but I miss him and so does everyone who loved him. Drunk driving is the ultimate selfish act.
Old 10-26-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Even if I do feel completely fine there's still a chance of an accident or hitting someone and if I'm "drunk" when it happens I'm screwed. Just not worth it.
That's how I feel.
Old 10-26-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI - as evil and misguided I may be, I never take a sip if I'm driving kids around. I'll only do drugs if I do that.
Good to know that you won't drink and drive when you are driving your kids around..but you have no problems putting others (including children in other cars) in danger because you don't give a shit.
Old 10-26-11, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You know who thought he didn't have a problem with drinking and driving? Titanic Captain William Murdoch.
Old 10-26-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's the difference between killing somebody at .07 vs killing somebody at .08? Remember, it wasn't that long ago that .10 was the legal limit so if you were .09 you weren't drunk, but now if you're .09 you're a drunk driver. What's the difference between killing somebody because you were LEGALLY drunk vs killing somebody because you were texting? What's the difference between killing somebody because you were drunk vs killing somebody because you were going 50 mph over the speed limit?

A drunk driver is no worse than people who knowingly speed or drive distracted either by texting, reading, putting on makeup, eating, yelling at the kids in the back seat, etc. I wouldn't feel any worse about myself if I killed somebody because I was drunk vs if I killed somebody because I was texting or playing with the radio or trying to punch something into my GPS or looking at a pretty scene out the window or whatever. Distracted driving is distracted driving.

And for the record, I still drink and drive on occassion. I don't feel good about it, but I still do it. However, I don't even think twice about texting and driving and that's a bigger problem in my opinion.
Old 10-26-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Considering there is a lot of zero-tolerance out there, and that to drink and drive is thus defined as having even one drink, I'm just not sure ...

Are people really saying that if they drive to dinner with the wife, then they each have a glass of wine with dinner, that they'll then call a cab to get home? Or sleep it off in the restaurant break room?

I'll take the word of everyone who has responded, but I'm curious.

Obviously driving buzzed or drunk are exponential levels of selfishness and irresponsibility, but, hypothetically: out to dinner for an hour, or an hour and a half, one drink each between partners, what do you do? Do you have a designated driver just to go out to dinner?

Not advocating for drinking and driving, obviously, and all sympathies to those who have lost a loved one to a drunk driver ...

^ Also, what whoopdidoo said.
Old 10-26-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Considering there is a lot of zero-tolerance out there, and that to drink and drive is thus defined as having even one drink, I'm just not sure ...

Are people really saying that if they drive to dinner with the wife, then they each have a glass of wine with dinner, that they'll then call a cab to get home? Or sleep it off in the restaurant break room?

Obviously driving buzzed or drunk are exponential levels of selfishness and irresponsibility, but, hypothetically: out to dinner for an hour, or an hour and a half, one drink each between partners, what do you do? Do you have a designated driver just to go out to dinner?

Not advocating for drinking and driving, obviously, and all sympathies to those who have lost a loved one to a drunk driver ...

If you're at dinner for an hour you've probably metabolized any alcohol in your system, assuming you had one drink.
Old 10-26-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post

My stance is, if you are driving impaired, then that is drinking and driving. If you had a beer at dinner and a hour later you drove home and you were not impaired, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Old 10-26-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
And for the record, I still drink and drive on occassion. I don't feel good about it, but I still do it. However, I don't even think twice about texting and driving and that's a bigger problem in my opinion.
Solid justification behind drinking and driving
Old 10-26-11, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
What about if your that special kind of drunk where you're a better driver because you know you're drunk?
Oh, like this guy:

(For those of you old enough to remember the episode/series)
Old 10-26-11, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmical View Post
(For those of you old enough to remember the episode/series)
Venus was great in that one... "Cop's got a hat, I need a hat!"
Old 10-26-11, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Solid justification behind drinking and driving
Just like: "I had to drive, how am I supposed to get home?"
Old 10-26-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I used to drink, I used to drive all the time. I drove like a bat out of hell. However, my vision, senses, and reflexes weren't the least bit affected. I once got pulled over after finishing an entire bottle of Jack Daniel's at a party. When the cop questioned me, I didn't slur my speech at all and i was totally alert. After I passed his sobriety test (which took about 30 minutes of borderline calisthenics) he let me go, because he didn't have a DUI kit on him. I probably would have blown at least a .09.

Later, I found out that alcohol triggers manic episodes. Alcohol does not act as a depressant on my system; it's more like supercharged red bull. I can drink all night, which usually consists of about 16 oz of alcohol, go to bed around 3-4, wake up 3 hours later, and feel totally refreshed and get through an entire day as if nothing happened.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.