Reload this Page >

Cool kayaking footage (whale action)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-18-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, this guy was taking huge risks, but this is some pretty amazing footage, particularly when he dives underwater with his helmet-cam. I do a fair amount of sea kayaking myself, and I've never seen a whale out there in my neck of the woods:

<iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/yahoo%20sports/site/player.html#vid=26978717&browseCarouselUI=hide"></iframe>
Old 10-18-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Cool kayaking footage (whale action)

That's Rick Coleman, one of the local divers I know. He received a lot of guff for that, but everyone I know wants to do the same thing. The Blue whales have been hanging around for a couple of months and Rick has shot video several times from his kayak, but this was the first time he rolled into the water. I would love to do it, but with a better camera.
Old 10-18-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's pretty cool. I think I would just about have a heart attack if I ever was out on the open water and saw a creature that big under me---heck, even a seal at a distance makes me a bit nervous.
Old 10-18-11, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This video needs more whale-on-whale action. What is this Rick guy afraid of!
Old 10-18-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
That's Rick Coleman, one of the local divers I know. He received a lot of guff for that, but everyone I know wants to do the same thing. The Blue whales have been hanging around for a couple of months and Rick has shot video several times from his kayak, but this was the first time he rolled into the water. I would love to do it, but with a better camera.

The video is gone. Are the whales hanging out locally here in the South Bay(Redondo, Hermosa, and etc)?
Old 10-18-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
This video needs more whale-on-whale action. What is this Rick guy afraid of!
Darn it, my line was stolen!
Old 10-18-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool video. The whale underwater looked like CGI.
Old 10-18-11, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
The video is gone. Are the whales hanging out locally here in the South Bay(Redondo, Hermosa, and etc)?
Until last week, they had been between 1 and 2 1/2 miles west of Vet's. Most have moved closer to San Pedro. Last year was better when we had hundreds of them. Many came with 1/2 mile from the beach. Voyager has twice-daily runs to see them. They are located at the Redondo Pier.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GT1uSEbCn5U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AYAjv3FGGnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-18-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There's something about whales that is absolutely terrifying. I know they're completely harmless, but given the opportunity to do what that guy did I would never do it. There's something so incredibly large about them it just defies the brain. I almost feel like a panic attack coming on when I see him dip under water. Almost revulsion or something...it's strange. I'm an avid diver and I've swam with large rays and I've observed Orcas and Gray Whales from a boat, but I could not go into the water with one. Anyone else feel this way?
Old 10-18-11, 06:11 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f7-y8LC50r8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ol7EhKEUiBs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>