Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

PETA blasts gay pride festival for scaring marine animals

Old 10-13-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PETA blasts gay pride festival for scaring marine animals

http://www.11alive.com/rss/article/2...ty-at-Aquarium

ATLANTA -- Turn the music down!

That's the message from PETA vice-president Dan Mathews to the Georgia Aquarium.

During last week's Atlanta Pride celebration, Mathews attended a party hosted at the aquarium. This week, he wrote an opinion piece for the Huffington Post in which he likened the music to "torture" for the animals.

"I was curious about a particular beluga whale squirming and twisting around more than others," he wrote.

Mathews claimed an Aquarium volunteer told him the music was so loud that the beluga whales attacked the harbor seals kept in the same tank. Mathews said the same volunteer told him that music played during the Aquarium's Jazz Fridays this summer actually got the animals to "fighting."

Representatives from the Georgia Aquarium called the article "outrageous."

"It's simply not true," said communications director Scott Higley. "One thing to note about the aquarium is that we set very rigid standards in terms of sound."

"We actually monitor decibel level," he added. "And for large scale events like the Pride party, we typically have sound engineers on site who are monitoring those levels. If by chance we happen to go beyond those levels, we are very aggressive about shutting down the sound at those events."

Dr. Tara Cox has studied marine mammals in the wild for more than 20 years. She said whales' hearing is not as fragile as one might think.

"Really the big concern would be hearing loss, but it takes a really loud sound to induce hearing loss in a marine mammal," she said. "That's pretty much the most rare effect we see."

Higley added that the aquarium was built with events in mind and in most places, the glass is so thick it prevents sound from getting through to the animals.

Mathews said he hopes Pride organizers select another party venue next year.

Nothing like a PETA story to amuse me when I'm in a bad mood.
Old 10-13-11, 08:34 PM

Re: PETA blasts gay pride festival for scaring marine animals

I'll reserve judgement until I know how much dubstep was played at the event.
Old 10-13-11, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, but which kind of dubstep?

Everyone knows if you start playing some eskibeat, the beluga whales won't go for that.
Old 10-13-11, 09:14 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Were these whales naked for the Peta guests?
Old 10-13-11, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sincerely hope not. That's a lot of blubber to see.
Old 10-13-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Man, you gotta' love PETA. Hippies that even hippies have a hard time defending.
Old 10-14-11, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And remember. Aquarium volunteers are the authority on aquatic sound processes.
Old 10-14-11, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I feel bad for those that live near the parade route.
Old 10-14-11, 12:26 AM

I think the aquatic life weren't reacting due to their fragile hearing - but were reacting to their displeasure of the music itself - dubstep alone would make me epileptic
Old 10-14-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can we go ahead and label PETA a terrorist organization?
Old 10-14-11, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ah Peta. Your wacky antics never fail to amuse.
Old 10-14-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I suppose only classical music should be played for the fish.
Old 10-14-11, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PETA being outraged by something is so ridiculous now that I suspect they would object to a group called "PETA" because "Animal" is the last word in the acronym and not the first.

And considering they support people and groups who firebomb research facilities I'd definitely call then terrorists.
Old 10-14-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

how much of 'The Pet Shop Boys' can one otter take?

I have to admit, I hate PETA, but I also hate Gay Pride festivals.

People who would take part in either are total ****, and I'm not talkin' homosexieels!
Old 10-14-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to donate to PETA, even though I have always thought they go way too far on just about everything. I still support their overall concept, just not most of the tactics.
Old 10-14-11, 01:55 PM

Somehow i bet someone over enthusiastically doing "The Dougie" is behind this complaint.
Old 10-14-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
I used to donate to PETA, even though I have always thought they go way too far on just about everything. I still support their overall concept, just not most of the tactics.
Total animal liberation. This means no meat, no milk, no zoos, no circuses, no wool, no leather, no hunting, no fishing, and no pets (not even seeing-eye dogs). PETA is also against all medical research that requires the use of animals.

I honestly think anyone who donates money to these guys are either ignorant or idiotic. I donate to no-kill animal shelters and Humane Society rescue and foster care programs instead.
Old 10-14-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll go eat an extra long coney dog in front of the local chapter. Extra onions!
Old 10-14-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe belugas aren't particularly pro-gay.
Old 10-14-11, 04:44 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZS_6-IwMPjM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yet they seem to love Mexicans.

Perhaps it's their affinity for wet backs??

Last edited by foofighters7; 10-14-11 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-14-11, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Total animal liberation. This means no meat, no milk, no zoos, no circuses, no wool, no leather, no hunting, no fishing, and no pets (not even seeing-eye dogs). PETA is also against all medical research that requires the use of animals.
They want all animals to be liberated so that they can breed in vast numbers, freeze to death in the winter, and be run over while running free...I'm still waiting for them to protest the Lions eating Gazelles.
Old 10-14-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post

I honestly think anyone who donates money to these guys are either ignorant or idiotic. I donate to no-kill animal shelters and Humane Society rescue and foster care programs instead.
Well, help me decide on whether I'm ignorant or idiotic, since I've donated to them.

I do, however, know that PETA isn't against having pets. They may say that 'pet' isn't a good word, and they're against Petco and such, but they certainly don't oppose people having dogs or cats, etc.
Old 10-14-11, 05:31 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PETA is a PITA.

-kd5-
Old 10-14-11, 06:10 PM

Well, help me decide on whether I'm ignorant or idiotic, since I've donated to them.

I do, however, know that PETA isn't against having pets. They may say that 'pet' isn't a good word, and they're against Petco and such, but they certainly don't oppose people having dogs or cats, etc.
Well, you seem to have far too much information to be ignorant.
Old 10-14-11, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ignorant it is!
We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals' best interests if the institution of "pet keeping"—i.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as "pets"—never existed. The international pastime of domesticating animals has created an overpopulation crisis; as a result, millions of unwanted animals are destroyed every year as "surplus."

This selfish desire to possess animals and receive love from them causes immeasurable suffering, which results from manipulating their breeding, selling or giving them away casually, and depriving them of the opportunity to engage in their natural behavior. They are restricted to human homes, where they must obey commands and can only eat, drink, and even urinate when humans allow them to.

Because domesticated animals retain many of their basic instincts and drives but are not able to survive on their own in the wild, dogs, cats, or birds, whose strongest desire is to be free, must be confined to houses, yards, or cages for their own safety.

This is a best-case scenario. Millions of dogs spend their lives outdoors on heavy chains in all weather extremes or are kept locked up in tiny chain-link pens from which they can only watch the world go by. Millions more are confined to filthy wire cages in puppy mills, forced to churn out litter after litter until they wear out, at which time they are killed or dumped at the local animal shelter. Even in "good" homes, cats must relieve themselves in dirty litterboxes and often have the tips of their toes amputated through declawing. Dogs often have to drink water that has been sitting around for days, are hurried along on their walks, if they even get walked, and are yelled at to get off the furniture or be quiet.

Most compassionate people never imagine that anyone could throw a litter of kittens out the window of a moving car, and they would certainly be shocked by PETA's inches-thick files on cases of dogs and cats who have been shot with arrows, blown up with firecrackers, doused in gasoline and set on fire, cooked in microwave ovens, used as bait in dogfights, tortured in satanic rituals, beaten with baseball bats by bored kids, dragged behind cars to "teach them a lesson" for running away, or bound in duct tape to silence their barking. Abuses such as these occur every day.

Contrary to myth, PETA does not want to confiscate animals who are well cared for and "set them free." What we want is for the population of dogs and cats to be reduced through spaying and neutering and for people to adopt animals (preferably two so that they can keep each other company when their human companions aren't home) from pounds or animal shelters—never from pet shops or breeders—thereby reducing suffering in the world.
Having pets is bad. They only support it as a "rescue option" since they say they'd rather save it then kill it (although 95% of the animals they "rescue" from homes or the street they actually put to sleep, freeze then cremate in large batches themselves).

Keeping fish in fishtanks are bad. Keeping birds as pets is bad. Keeping any animal in an enclosed tank, cage or terrarium is bad really.

http://www.peta.org/issues/Companion...no-thanks.aspx

They are against seeing-eye dogs (although they say hearing dogs is fine as long as it is a rescue dog). Breeding dogs in captivity is bad. Once we run out of animals that need rescuing, they'd end all domestic animal ownership happily.

In short: Free in the wild > rescued companion > dead > in a shelter > never existing > alive & owned as a pet.

They said that a cure for AIDS isn't worth even the life of a single animal and suggested we focus on in-vitro, embryonic stem cell and human testing of all medicines. (As a type-1 diabetic who owes his life to pig insulin I think that pisses me off quite a bit).

Last edited by Navinabob; 10-14-11 at 06:18 PM. Reason: New stuff pissed me off! :)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.