Reload this Page >

How to sleep with shoulder pain?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-13-11, 01:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what I did to cause it, but Monday afternoon my right shoulder just started hurting suddenly. The pain was so great I was taking Ibuprofen every six hours, and I am the type of person that hates taking medicine unless I absolutely have to do so. I couldn't sleep at all Monday night.

Today the pain has lessened greatly, but it still hurts a little especially when I move my head to the side. However, when I try to lie down and go to sleep after about an hour or so the pain increases so much that it wakes me up and I can't go back to sleep. It doesn't matter how I lie down, on my stomach, on my back, on my left or right, lying down period makes my shoulder hurt. So I have had a total of about 2-3 hours of sleep since Sunday. I am exhausted, but my shoulder hurts so much when I lie down I can't sleep. I get out of bed and the pain subsides after 15-20 minutes, but as soon as I lie down it hurts again. What is it about lying down that makes it hurt more?
Old 10-13-11, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: How to sleep with shoulder pain?

A pinched something or other? Whatever you do, don't go to the doctor. The Internet is a much better place to go for medical advice.
Old 10-13-11, 01:22 AM
Banned

I knew someone would say go to the doctor instead of asking on the internet.

I am currently unemployed and therefore have minimal money and no health insurance. So unless I am dying, going to the doctor is out of the question.

I'm hoping it is just a pinched nerve or something, but something that minor is usually getting significantly better after three days. It still hurts enough to keep me awake.

I haven't done anything out of the ordinary that would cause the muscle to tear.
Old 10-13-11, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried sleeping on a chair? I have back problem and sometime it hurt when I'm lying in bed at night. However I been sleeping on a comfort chair in my room and I don't feel any pain when sitting at night, so you might want to try that too see if it help.
Old 10-13-11, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can sleep at the train station. I'm sure someone would rub your shoulder or something else while you sleep or my personal favorite.

Old 10-13-11, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Apply heat and cruise the m4m section of Craigslist for a massage.
Old 10-13-11, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Find the position of your head, neck, shoulders, arms, and back that causes the least pain and don't deviate from it. For a while, I couldn't stand to be touched while I was in bed, because that amount of pressure was enough to disturb the delicate balance.

After living like that for a couple of years, I went to a chiropractor. A handful of visits brought long-term relief.

It sounds like you might sleep better in an armchair.
Old 10-13-11, 07:53 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

take 800mg of ibuprofen 3x a day (with full stomach), not whatever dose you are doing 4x a day. ICE, not heat. You can supplement the ibuprofen with 650mg of tylenol 3-4x a day as well.
Old 10-13-11, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-13-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Take it out for a nice dinner and say that you're rich.
Old 10-13-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seriously?

When I broke my collarbone I had the same problem. Sleep was almost impossible and I didn't want to take painkillers.

The best way to sleep is in a somewhat upright position with your legs slightly elevated. You basically have to create a "nest" out of blankets and pillows to support your body. A barcalounger might work, but you need something with a lot of cushioning.
Old 10-13-11, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/spor.../iceorheat.htm
Old 10-13-11, 02:30 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with Superboy. Sleep in a lounge chair.
Old 10-13-11, 05:45 PM
Banned

I just woke up from a four hour sleep. That's the most sleep I have had since Sunday.

I put a pillow behind my shoulder and that seemed to have helped ease off the pressure or something. It was hurting when I woke up, but not nearly as bad as it has been. It's still hurting now, but not bad enough that I have taken any ibuprofen yet today.

I don't have a recliner. All I have is a couch. I live alone in a small apartment, no wife or kids, so a couch has always been enough for me. I did try to sleep sitting up in it, but sitting completely upright I couldn't fall asleep at all.
Old 10-13-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Find some temporary relief with some heating pads...will give you some soothing. Also some Epsom Salt baths or soaks will also do well tendering the muscle and give you some soothing.
Old 10-13-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This stuff works great. My doctor told me to use this and it helps.
Old 10-13-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Take it out for a nice dinner and say that you're rich.
Old 10-13-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
I just woke up from a four hour sleep. That's the most sleep I have had since Sunday.

I put a pillow behind my shoulder and that seemed to have helped ease off the pressure or something. It was hurting when I woke up, but not nearly as bad as it has been. It's still hurting now, but not bad enough that I have taken any ibuprofen yet today.

I don't have a recliner. All I have is a couch. I live alone in a small apartment, no wife or kids, so a couch has always been enough for me. I did try to sleep sitting up in it, but sitting completely upright I couldn't fall asleep at all.
When I broke my collarbone, that was how I slept. I put the pillow under my hurt shoulder and slept that way. I was on couch the first few nights, as it was firmer than the bed. Plus I would lay so I was facing the back of the couch, from the lean on the pillow. It made me less likely to rollover.
Old 10-14-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Try Aleve or the generic instead?
Old 10-14-11, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I knew someone would say go to the doctor instead of asking on the internet.

I am currently unemployed and therefore have minimal money and no health insurance. So unless I am dying, going to the doctor is out of the question.

I'm hoping it is just a pinched nerve or something, but something that minor is usually getting significantly better after three days. It still hurts enough to keep me awake.

I haven't done anything out of the ordinary that would cause the muscle to tear.
Sorry to hear about your pain. can you leave all ID at home, go to the ER and claim to be an illegal immigrant?

it doesn't help, but maybe it has something to do with sleeping on a couch? Have you tried putting a mattress on the floor, or sleeping on your back directly on the floor?
Old 10-14-11, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

OP

I had something similar. Turned out to be a frozen shoulder - actually both shoulders.

Went to a chiro - problem solved in 5 visits.
Old 10-14-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Take sleeping pills
2. ????
3. Sleep
Old 10-15-11, 10:55 AM
Banned

I slept ten hours last night!

The pain is mostly gone, and is now mostly a dull ache. It does still hurt if I try to sleep on my stomach or on either side. The only way it doesn't hurt is if I sleep on my back. Weird. Does sleeping on your stomach really put more pressure on your shoulder than sleeping on your back?
Old 10-15-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The pain is mostly gone, and is now mostly a dull ache. It does still hurt if I try to sleep on my stomach or on either side. The only way it doesn't hurt is if I sleep on my back. Weird. Does sleeping on your stomach really put more pressure on your shoulder than sleeping on your back?
Not sure about the shoulder, but I sleep on my stomach most of the time and had been having elbow pain for a week or so. When I slept on my back I woke up feeling fine. Now I sleep on my back a couple of nights a week and the problem is gone.
Old 10-15-11, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

In your case, yes.

Take a moment to sit up straight in your chair with your arms at your sides. Do you hunch your shoulders or stretch your head forward when you're on the computer? If so, you're causing yourself problems.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.