Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Another coffee thread - any opinions on Keurig vs. Nespresso?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-08-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am wanting to get one of these individual cup coffee makers, but I don't know much about these. Any opinions on which one of these may be better? I know the Nespresso machines only accept Nespresso packets, but I've also read that Keurig machine tends to die after a year or so. I plan on using it from every other day to maybe twice a day.
Old 10-08-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Another coffee thread - any opinions on Keurig vs. Nespresso?

I believe Keurig gives you a wider variety of options (Green Mountain, Folgers, Starbucks). Keurig, as far as I know, is only the form-factor. The machines are probably made by a wide variety of vendors. We have one in our office that makes easily 40+ cups per day and has been working well for a year.
Old 10-08-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keurig makes coffee. Nespresso makes espresso. Which one do you prefer, coffee or espresso?

Keurig makes most of their own machines. The exceptions being there are machines out there by Breville, Cuisinart and Mr. Coffee. Personally, I own the Keurig Special Edition brewer as I was able to buy it from Best Buy for dirt cheap using Rewards Zone points. I've had it for less than half-a-year now and I personally haven't had any issues with it. I only bought a Keurig based upon recommendations from friends and family, most who have had their own Keurig brewers for more than a year, and have never ran into any issues or problems.
Old 10-08-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
Keurig makes coffee. Nespresso makes espresso. Which one do you prefer, coffee or espresso?
Acoording to the Nespresso website, they make coffee. This is why I was considering them. I like a good espersso from time to time though. I'm like you though, just getting feedback from friends and family and those who have it seem to like it, without any issues.

http://www.nespresso-us.com/

EDIT: After looking on Amazon and the Nespresso site, I guess I cam assume they are solely espreso machines? The Nespresso says coffee, although I can assume since espresso is coffee, that's why it is advertised like that. Amazon straight up say they are espresso makers. So I guess that answers that.

Last edited by E Unit; 10-10-11 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-08-11, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Acoording to the Nespresso website, they make coffee. This is why I was considering them. I like a good espersso from time to time though. I'm like you though, just getting feedback from friends and family and those who have it seem to like it, without any issues.

http://www.nespresso-us.com/

EDIT: After looking on Amazon and the Nespresso site, I guess I cam assume they are solely espreso machines? The Nespresso says coffee, although I can assume since espresso is coffee, that's why is is advertised like that. Amazon straight up say they are espresso makers. So I guess that answers that.
I have a nespresso (the citiz model). It only makes espresso. It come with a fairly good variety of flavors though (about 20). I love it. But it only makes espresso.

If I want drip coffee (like Keurig does), I just use my regular coffee machine. I'm not too picky on my regular coffee. When I make an espresso though, I want what I want, and my Nespresso is perfect for that!
Old 10-08-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-08-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nespresso sounds like it's made by Nestle. So good for hot chocolate maybe, but not coffee or espresso.

If it's not made by Nestle, then the name is terrible.
Old 10-08-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My old job had a Flavia machine. My new one has a Keurig. I preferred the Flavia.
Old 10-08-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Keurig rules the market. It would be silly to go with something else. So many options, plus if they use Keurig where you work, you can steal their K-cups.

I've had a home machine for about 4 years and it still works great. We also have them in nearly every office where I work and have never heard of any problems with them.
Old 10-08-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My only complaint with the keurig is the large selection isn't large enough sometimes. I also wonder what the machine does to differentiate the three sizes and the strength of the brew.
Old 10-09-11, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a Keurig at my office it works great. I only have 3 people in my office so it probably only gets used 10-15 times per week at most, but I love it--works perfectly.

We used to have another brand--can't remember what kind, but it sucked. The Keurig totally blew it away.
Old 10-09-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
I also wonder what the machine does to differentiate the three sizes and the strength of the brew.
Having experimented with my son-in-law's Keurig, it pours more water through the same grinds, which takes a few seconds longer (same rate?).

It is not as watered down as justing adding water as it does go through the cup, but the larger size is weaker.
Old 10-09-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
Having experimented with my son-in-law's Keurig, it pours more water through the same grinds, which takes a few seconds longer (same rate?).

It is not as watered down as justing adding water as it does go through the cup, but the larger size is weaker.
What I taste is that I need to get the darker brews to use the large size and not have a weaker taste.
Wen I use a flavored k-cup on large it tastes a little watered down.

There is a k-cup for larger travel mugs but the same amount of water comes out into the cup.
Old 10-09-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Flavia ones we used to have at work let you make both coffee and espresso, and choose the strength of the brew.
Old 10-09-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Flavia is awesome, and makes the best coffee for these types of machines. I didn't realize they made home machines (first Flavia I used was around about eight years ago, and the lady told me they didn't have home brewers).

There is a machine that accepts almost all the different cups and pods, but the name escapes me.
Old 10-09-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed my Keurig for awhile. But it got a bit stale after a year or so. I went back to doing a drip brew. All the elements are in the Keurig. But I just prefer drip brew for some reason. Maybe it's the fresh, local beans that I buy. My sister got bored with it too, and went back to drip.

Just go with the cheap model. I had constant problems with the Breville $250 brewer. After awhile, the pump would sieze and it wouldn't brew when I hit the button. Then I hit the button again and it would overflow the cup. Not what I expected from the most expensive K-Cup brewer on the market.
Old 10-09-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed my Keurig for awhile. But it got a bit stale after a year or so. I went back to doing a drip brew. All the elements are in the Keurig. But I just prefer drip brew for some reason. Maybe it's the fresh, local beans that I buy. My sister got bored with hers too, and went back to drip.

Just go with the cheap model. I had constant problems with the Breville $250 brewer. After awhile, the pump would sieze and it wouldn't brew when I hit the button. Then I hit the button again and it would overflow the cup. Not what I expected from the most expensive K-Cup brewer on the market.
Old 10-09-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a Keurig (the $120 model, whichever one that is). I only drink 1 or 2 cups a day, so it's ideal for me. Especially since the wife is a sporadic drinker. It's definitely worth it if you preferred flavored coffees, there are quite a few good flavors available. Some of the posters have talked about the various sizes, and Keurig themselves recommend the smaller cups, as it makes for a strong cup of coffee. If you drink it with creamer, it's alright, but doesn't always fill the cup. It works well though as far as strength, depending on the k-cup of course.

If you prefer iced coffee, I would not use a Keurig. I've tried a lot of different ways of making it, and none of them end up that great, since it spits it out at a really hot temp. You end up with really watered down coffee or have to let it sit 20 minutes.

A little tip is that you can buy K-Cups at Bed Bath & Beyond and use the coupons they send out all the time. Pretty good deal when it comes out to about $0.50/cup.
Old 10-09-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the temp set to 190 but still don't think it's hot enough. We pit it in the microwave for about 20 seconds before we put milk and sugar in.

Wen we got our machine about 8 months ago the boxes were $9.99 about everywhere including BBB.

Now there are almost always $12-15.
Old 10-09-11, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cleaning seems to be the major issue for me. How well do the Keurig models allow for cleaning?
Old 10-09-11, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.keurig.com/customer-servi...e-and-cleaning
Old 10-09-11, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
That's why I'm thinking about going with the one that's $149. I don't plan on using this one any more than once a day or so.

Originally Posted by lordwow View Post
If you prefer iced coffee, I would not use a Keurig. I've tried a lot of different ways of making it, and none of them end up that great, since it spits it out at a really hot temp. You end up with really watered down coffee or have to let it sit 20 minutes.

A little tip is that you can buy K-Cups at Bed Bath & Beyond and use the coupons they send out all the time. Pretty good deal when it comes out to about $0.50/cup.
I don't plan on using this for iced coffee, so I think this is ideal. Good idea on the BB&B coupons, thanks. My wife always has one of those coupons lying around.
Old 10-10-11, 02:02 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I love Keurig. I just gave my sister my Elite I had for over a year and bought the Mini Plus (no resevoir which I like cuz I like fresh water daily) Super heats the water and I love gourmet coffees and trying various brands. K cups are 8.99 on sale usually.
Old 10-11-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FlickMan View Post
I love Keurig. I just gave my sister my Elite I had for over a year and bought the Mini Plus (no resevoir which I like cuz I like fresh water daily) Super heats the water and I love gourmet coffees and trying various brands. K cups are 8.99 on sale usually.
Where do yu get k-cups for $8.99?
Old 10-11-11, 04:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Dominicks has them for 8.99 a box of 12. I just picked up a box of Green Mountain Breakfast Blend this morning.

You can also get better deals by ordering them from Amazon and Keurigs website.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.